What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

Incorrect

Coach
I'm pretty sure most of the people around here thought we were a top 4 team after we belted the Panthers in the trial... Has losing Stone and Dunster for the season impacted us that much that we're no better than a 6th to 8th team? Apart from those 2 I've just mentioned, and missing Mr Brittle Matterson last night we were at full strength and got lapped by a team below us on the ladder... One such performance can be considered an outlier but coming so hot on the heels of that Dogs abortion of a game, there are some real question marks over the teams leadership IMO and the coach is included in that group of course...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That's where we differ.
I simply don't think our squad is top 4 material.

We simply don't have enough quality players when you get past our top 13 or 14.
With injuries, suspensions, etc. we are always going to be relying on players like Makatoa, Opacic, Kaufusi, Stone, Rein, and Cartwright and none of those guys make it into a top 4 teams 17. And then we have huge skills and experience gap to the likes of Rodwell, Emu, Perham, Arthur and Russell.
The team has gotten worse when most of our first choice players have returned. We beat the Storm and Panthers when we were well down on troops. Last night only Matto was out from arguably our top 17, well Browny of course but he seemed to have made it on to BA's famous shit list. Maybe he didn't give up a chair for him??? Now it's a depth issue lol. People were trumpeting the clubs depth pre season coaching staff and fans alike.

Cloeel

Juniors
We should be at least knocking on the door, we are way off ATM. Do you think the coach and his staff are getting all they can out of the roster???

Or maybe the coach does not have the resources clubs like the storm and panthers have. More a systemic issue. Where we are simply not as well resourced as the top clubs in the game.

Which is why there is every chance we don't see much if not any improvement under a new coach.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We won't know until the regular season has ended.

Providing analysis on a full season will be far more accurate with where the club is at rather than week to week.

What happens if we scrape into the top 4, have some luck on our side and make the GF?

Will we still have BA's head on the chopping block?

Also on a side note a lot of people on here way over rate our squad. Our squad is more likely to finish 6-8th then in the top 4.
lol it's the squad it's depth fault, never the coach or his inept staff.

If you think we are making the GF the way we are playing you need to stop huffing paint. The hasty decision to extend your mate Arthur is proving to be an absolute disaster.

strider

Post Whore
That's where we differ.

With injuries, suspensions, etc. we are always going to be relying on players like Makatoa, Opacic, Kaufusi, Stone, Rein, and Cartwright and none of those guys make it into a top 4 teams 17. And then we have huge skills and experience gap to the likes of Rodwell, Emu, Perham, Arthur and Russell.
But what teams have more solid depth? Not many.

Opacic is a decent backup three quarter. We probably miss Stone a bit. Carty isnt the worst backup. Kaufusi should have progressed better.

We have solid players across the park but we lack a true star/leader. But thats what BA ultimately decided to build. Its a safe squad. You can cover some injuries. But its a struggle to get to the next level unless several players really step up above themselves.

Mental toughness and leadership is obviously our achillies heal. I think we tried to address that at times but it didnt pan out. Its a hard thing to make happen.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Or maybe the coach does not have the resources clubs like the storm and panthers have. More a systemic issue. Where we are simply not as well resourced as the top clubs in the game.

Which is why there is every chance we don't see much if not any improvement under a new coach.
LOL!! More resources than like what the Sharks had in 2016??? Or Manly???? Why aren't we one of the most resourced clubs in the NRL with assets of 140m??? A massive leagues club which gouges millions from dopey pokie addicts every year. How when we play out of a state of the art stadium with some of the best corporate ammenities in the whole of the NRL????

I ask again are the board focused on doing all they can to win a comp??? If they aren't spending what the other clubs aren't the answer has to be why??? Why bother having a club, supporters or a leagues club at all??? Lets shut it all down and save us long suffering fans a ton of cash and even more heartache.

emjaycee

Coach
The team has gotten worse when most of our first choice players have returned. We beat the Storm and Panthers when we were well down on troops. Last night only Matto was out from arguably our top 17, well Browny of course but he seemed to have made it on to BA's famous shit list. Maybe he didn't give up a chair for him??? Now it's a depth issue lol. People were trumpeting the clubs depth pre season coaching staff and fans alike.
Not all fans were mate.
I have been saying since the off-season that we lack the depth of the top sides.
Unless the injury gods were going to be favour us, we were always going to have periods where we struggle.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not all fans were mate.
I have been saying since the off-season that we lack the depth of the top sides.
Unless the injury gods were going to be favour us, we were always going to have periods where we struggle.
But we played better when we were down on troops, what did they just think it would all click with our top side??? Again this speaks to a shithouse mental attitude. And those blokes who you have said aren't good enough have all been re-signed within the last 9-12 months. So the club thought they were all good enough........

Cloeel

Juniors
LOL!! More resources than like what the Sharks had in 2016??? Or Manly???? Why aren't we one of the most resourced clubs in the NRL with assets of 140m??? A massive leagues club which gouges millions from dopey pokie addicts every year. How when we play out of a state of the art stadium with some of the best corporate ammenities in the whole of the NRL????

I ask again are the board focused on doing all they can to win a comp??? If they aren't spending what the other clubs aren't the answer has to be why??? Why bother having a club, supporters or a leagues club at all??? Lets shut it all down and save us long suffering fans a ton of cash and even more heartache.

Resources goes way beyond financial position. Although Money of course is a massive help and huge factor.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can you see us finishing top 4 on what we've dished up the last 5 or 6 games??? I can't, if we keep playing like last night we will be lucky to make it into the 8.
What if we play like we did against the Roosters? Or the Panthers or Storm? Why is last night's game more representative of our team than any other? Enjoy the roller coaster merkin. It's very exciting.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But what teams have more solid depth? Not many.

Opacic is a decent backup three quarter. We probably miss Stone a bit. Carty isnt the worst backup. Kaufusi should have progressed better.

We have solid players across the park but we lack a true star/leader. But thats what BA ultimately decided to build. Its a safe squad. You can cover some injuries. But its a struggle to get to the next level unless several players really step up above themselves.

Mental toughness and leadership is obviously our achillies heal. I think we tried to address that at times but it didnt pan out. Its a hard thing to make happen.
It's a safe squad, built to keep him in a job which is his main focus but probably not enough risks taken to win a comp.

The Safeamatta Eels, that said we are underachieving with the roster we have atm. On Paper are squad is stronger than the Cow's,Sharks and even Donkey's.

hindy111

Post Whore
You are entirely focused on a fullback being a ball runner.

There is also passing in attack ... And of course defense and kick diffusing.

Gutho is not the fastest or most explosive but he is stiil very good at all the other things, bbetter than most.

I think he is a bit off at times rhis year tho

He is the slowest fullback in competition.

Great defender I agree. Most fullback can difuse kicks pretty well these days. Barely see his passing game used anymore

hindy111

Post Whore
That's where we differ.

Penrith have Salmon,Kenny, Eisenhuth, Sorrenson all playing. Are they any better?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What if we play like we did against the Roosters? Or the Panthers or Storm? Why is last night's game more representative of our team than any other? Enjoy the roller coaster merkin. It's very exciting.
It's a roller coaster with no brakes and you can see a pit full of sharp spikes at the end. Otherwise known as week 2.

Latest posts