What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

Incorrect

Coach
I'd love to know what Bellamy and Robinson think of our top 17 and what changes they would make to it if in some parallel universe they were handed the reins to coach us for the next 3 years.

Personally I think we lack explosive speed in the outside backs and a decent utility on the bench who can cover hooker, but apart from that, I don't think either Bellamy or Mumpsy would tinker too much with our squad. I think we lack the right temperament, not talent...

EDIT - I should clarify that in this parallel universe, we would still have Ice, Kaufusi, Stone, Marata and Mahoney on the books post 2022....

hindy111

Post Whore
What are your thoughts on Mahoneys year thus far?

No run game so never engages markers.
Kick games been average
Still some smart blind side roads
Sides are awake to his short pass cannon ball play close to the line.
His defense is average. Makes a lot of tackles but gets pushed back 2 or 3 mtrs half the time. Small body that doesn't stop the big men quick enough which enable a fast play the ball.

strider

Post Whore
We should be at least knocking on the door, we are way off ATM. Do you think the coach and his staff are getting all they can out of the roster???
But we are not way off .... alot of other teams have been as inconsistenly shit as us. Thats why we are still 6th.

emjaycee

Coach
But we played better when we were down on troops, what did they just think it would all click with our top side??? Again this speaks to a shithouse mental attitude. And those blokes who you have said aren't good enough have all been re-signed within the last 9-12 months. So the club thought they were all good enough........
I have no idea what the club thought or thinks mate. I am just a passionate fan who spends part of my hard-earned watching the team I love play and hoping they will compete at the pointy end of the season each year.
But I don't run out and buy my Grand Final tickets after every unexpected win and I don't slash my wrists and kick the dog after every unexpected loss.

hindy111

Post Whore
But what teams have more solid depth? Not many.

Opacic is a decent backup three quarter. We probably miss Stone a bit. Carty isnt the worst backup. Kaufusi should have progressed better.

We have solid players across the park but we lack a true star/leader. But thats what BA ultimately decided to build. Its a safe squad. You can cover some injuries. But its a struggle to get to the next level unless several players really step up above themselves.

Mental toughness and leadership is obviously our achillies heal. I think we tried to address that at times but it didnt pan out. Its a hard thing to make happen.

Boot camp would of sorted them out.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But we are not way off .... alot of other teams have been as inconsistenly shit as us. Thats why we are still 6th.
Way off the top sides, i'd argue the top 4 is just about gone. And if you don't make the top 4 history shows you are only making up the numbers.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I have no idea what the club thought or thinks mate. I am just a passionate fan who spends part of my hard-earned watching the team I love play and hoping they will compete at the pointy end of the season each year.
But I don't run out and buy my Grand Final tickets after every unexpected win and I don't slash my wrists and kick the dog after every unexpected loss.
I do all this from week to week, i think i might have bi polar.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It isn't, and why would it be? They are spending the same salary cap as we are and wouldn't have any fewer TPAs. Plus all three have larger junior systems.
Oh bullshit, have a look at the Cows spine. All rejects from other clubs. People laughed their arse's off at them paying 800k for someone like Townsend. He has gotten them very fit and a well drilled side that play 80 mins each and every week. How fit are we??? How well drilled are we??? How often if ever do we play 80 mins each and every week. All of that has nothing to do with resources or how much money a club has.

strider

Post Whore
It's a safe squad, built to keep him in a job which is his main focus but probably not enough risks taken to win a comp.

The Safeamatta Eels, that said we are underachieving with the roster we have atm. On Paper are squad is stronger than the Cow's,Sharks and even Donkey's.
You sprout crap like this as if its fact ..... you and me and every other dumb merkin on here have no f**kin clue what goes on.

Building a safe squad is a pretty f**kin good effort. You then only have to get a few to really step up and you suddenly are a contender. I would say it is exactly what the Panthers have done ... but they HAVE managed to get the best out of several players.

I agree with anyone that BA isnt a smart tactical coach and is one dimensional, but i think he actually is better than most at building a squad. Louring a star player is almost impossible, just ask the great wayne.

IFR33K

Coach
I actually have never endorsed him and have stated that he comes with plenty of risk. I’m not sure about him to be honest. If we had to bite the bullet now I’d probably take Flanagan for a couple of years. However he also concerns me.

I’d also put the feelers out for Robinson. And of course every coach is a risk.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's a roller coaster with no brakes and you can see a pit full of sharp spikes at the end. Otherwise known as week 2.
I reckon we're a chance of getting to week three and also of finishing top four. I had money on both outcomes as well as winning the comp. No foregone conclusions though. They won't need to hide my belt and shoelaces if none of those things happen.

JokerEel

Coach
The Magpies don't exist anymore mate, with 14 spoons it's all on us now. Plus we have only been in the NRL since 47. Totally embarrassing.

You don't delete history because they no longer exist.

We are do have the most spoons for an NRL active team though

Latest posts