What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

strider

Post Whore
Way off the top sides, i'd argue the top 4 is just about gone. And if you don't make the top 4 history shows you are only making up the numbers.
But this discussion was about are we top 4? 4th is top 4 last time i looked. We beat the top 2 sides, so we are capable.

I think merkins here will be happy with nothing but being the top of the ladder.

I 2ould like to be on top too. And i dont think we are going well, but other teams are all over the place too.

JokerEel

Coach
I'd love to know what Bellamy and Robinson think of our top 17 and what changes they would make to it if in some parallel universe they were handed the reins to coach us for the next 3 years.

Personally I think we lack explosive speed in the outside backs and a decent utility on the bench who can cover hooker, but apart from that, I don't think either Bellamy or Mumpsy would tinker too much with our squad. I think we lack the right temperament, not talent...

EDIT - I should clarify that in this parallel universe, we would still have Ice, Kaufusi, Stone, Marata and Mahoney on the books post 2022....

First thing new captain / leader.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But this discussion was about are we top 4? 4th is top 4 last time i looked. We beat the top 2 sides, so we are capable.

I think merkins here will be happy with nothing but being the top of the ladder.

I 2ould like to be on top too. And i dont think we are going well, but other teams are all over the place too.
Our form bar 40mins against the Roosters the 5 or 6 weeks has been pretty average. We are going the wrong way if we are going to challenge the top 4.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's fine for Pou, he just loves mediocrity. If he had his way Kearney would be still here. Or even Hilditch or Cronin.
All good examples. Why do we get coaches like this instead of ones like Bellamy, Bennett or Hasler? Do you really think our club rates guys like Hilditch, Arthur or even Brian Smith as the best coaches in the game?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
All good examples. Why do we get coaches like this instead of ones like Bellamy, Bennett or Hasler? Do you really think our club rates guys like Hilditch, Arthur or even Brian Smith as the best coaches in the game?
Brian Smith made 4 GF's from 3 different clubs, he was good enough to get a gig with the almighty Roosters a club you put on this pedestal.

Cronin and Hilditch were relics from a different time, fitzy even admitted he wasn't spending all he could on the football club and team while he built up the leagues clubs and assets. None of which seems to spend a cent in the team at all anymore. I ask again by bother??? They are just wasting everyones time.

Happy MEel

First Grade
That's where we differ.
I simply don't think our squad is top 4 material.

We simply don't have enough quality players when you get past our top 13 or 14.
With injuries, suspensions, etc. we are always going to be relying on players like Makatoa, Opacic, Kaufusi, Stone, Rein, and Cartwright and none of those guys make it into a top 4 teams 17. And then we have huge skills and experience gap to the likes of Rodwell, Emu, Perham, Arthur and Russell.
Have a look at the benches of the top 4. Plenty of plod in this group. I don’t reckon we’re that much worse off most of these…including the premiers.

You add Nrown to our bench and I reckon our bench is stronger than most of these.

725309FC-4713-4F30-8E20-90410D6CC6B4.jpeg
FF2469F8-CB06-498C-9AFE-6D396AB80A94.jpeg
FDAA0040-3F28-4D4B-8F6F-FB596452AA78.jpeg
7CF1DA30-C753-410A-BC07-916DB38D98CC.jpeg

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Do you honestly think we are a top 4 team?

Honestly, on paper, this team is probably good enough to make the top 4.

Sivo is a constant among the top try scorers list when fit.

Waqa Blake has plenty of x-factor about him.

Gutherson is [usually] dependable, and skilful.

Moses, and Brown, have a lot of creativity, and their running games are strong.

Paulo, RCG, and Matterson are all good enough to play Origin (andninnRCG and Matterson's cases, should still be playing Origin, tbh).

Mahoney is being talked about as a possible Kangaroo.

Papali'i is a Test player.

We have room for improvement, but I believe the bones of a top 4 squad are here.

We just need constant attitude adjustments.

emjaycee

Coach
Honestly, on paper, this team is probably good enough to make the top 4.

Sivo is a constant among the top try scorers list when fit.

Waqa Blake has plenty of x-factor about him.

Gutherson is [usually] dependable, and skilful.

Moses, and Brown, have a lot of creativity, and their running games are strong.

Paulo, RCG, and Matterson are all good enough to play Origin (andninnRCG and Matterson's cases, should still be playing Origin, tbh).

Mahoney is being talked about as a possible Kangaroo.

Papali'i is a Test player.

We have room for improvement, but I believe the bones of a top 4 squad are here.

We just need constant attitude adjustments.
I never said we didn't have players in our top 13 or 14 without footballing ability however your last 2 lines sum up why I don't think we are a top 4 team - and you only listed 10 players out of a squad of 17. As you said, it might be the bones of a top 4 squad but that doesnt make it a top 4 squad just yet.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I never said we didn't have players in our top 13 or 14 without footballing ability however your last 2 lines sum up why I don't think we are a top 4 team - and you only listed 10 players out of a squad of 17. As you said, it might be the bones of a top 4 squad but that doesnt make it a top 4 squad just yet.

I think our 17 is good enough to be a top 4 team in terms of ability.

But what holds them back is attitude - and a huge driver for culture and/or attitude is the coach, and captain, buying into the vision of the club.

Ultimately, Arthur selected Gutherson as captain, and Gutherson is not a leader, so it was likely a poor decision.

Having Hodgson on board will help with the leadership side of things, but I am not seeing a team that is cohesive, communicating clearly, and playing as a united front,- and these are all qualities that the coach needs to address.

The players need to pull their heads out, too, of course.

TheRam

Coach
We won't know until the regular season has ended.

Providing analysis on a full season will be far more accurate with where the club is at rather than week to week.

What happens if we scrape into the top 4, have some luck on our side and make the GF?

Will we still have BA's head on the chopping block?

Also on a side note a lot of people on here way over rate our squad. Our squad is more likely to finish 6-8th then in the top 4.

This just gave the apologist a raging Mt. Kosciuszko hard on.

Of cause we are a top 4 team, if we were being coach properly and didn't think that chasing the collision was what coaching is all about.

TheRam

Coach
I think we should be in the equation for 4th.

Panthers n Storm are best, Roosters 3rd best squad ... We are probably then in a group of about 3 teams vying for 4th

The Roosters are not currently even close to being a top 4 team. They don't even have a 7 or 6 that they can rely on ffs. Either injured or still a rookie and a forward pack that is not what it used to be. Hardly a team that anyone can confidently say that they are a top 4 team.

There is a reason why they are outside the top 8 at the moment ffs!

Some people really have no freaking idea. Even in this weak and lopsided competition they are struggling to find consistent form. Halves may have something to do with being a top 4 team I would have thought. Please footy isn't that hard to understand, is it?

Eelogical

Referee
Our form bar 40mins against the Roosters the 5 or 6 weeks has been pretty average. We are going the wrong way if we are going to challenge the top 4.
Personally, I think we won't make the 4. The only spot we could possibly achieve in the top 4 is 4th, the position that the Sharks currently hold. Here is the run home for both teams.
Eels: Tigers (away)
Warriors (home)
Broncos (home)
Panthers (home)
Sea Eagles (away)
Rabbits (home)
Bulldogs (home)
Broncos (away)
Storm (home)

Sharks: Storm (home)
Cowboys (away)
Panthers (away)
Rabbits (home)
Dragons (home)
Tigers (away)
Sea Eagles (away)
Bulldogs (home)
Knights (away)

Throw the Broncos into the mix and it's a major struggle for us to achieve the 4 especially with our unpredictable form and for/against record.

Broncos: Dragons (home)
Titans (away)
Eels (away)
Tigers (home)
Roosters (away)
Knights (away)
Storm (home)
Eels (home)
Dragons (away)
The only advantage the Eels have is the 6 home games.

The Predictor

Juniors
Do you think changing coaches will magically change it? Your choice of coach is directly related to your ability to recruit and retain players.
Yes I do….Brad can’t recruit the calibre of players other coaches can, I don’t know how u don’t understand this, what is your solution to winning f**k all of nothing the past 9 years, though I do remember you pretty much saying premierships aren’t the be all….which I find a frustrating and annoying

hindy111

Post Whore

I also woukd like to be on top

hindy111

Post Whore
Do you think changing coaches will magically change it? Your choice of coach is directly related to your ability to recruit and retain players.

Keep in mind our best junior in the last 15yrs Jnr Paulo was also let go by our bone head management. The one rare talented Jnr we had and couldn't lock him up for his career.
Hopeless

hindy111

Post Whore

When all fit isn't Marata on our bench and N.Brown? That decent imo.
Browns obviously done something to piss someone off