What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

Cloeel

Juniors
Lol, if you think we are well coached I have a bridge to sell you.

I am not saying that we are or are not well coached. That is a separate argument.

All I am saying that in order to give any coach the best possible chance at being competitive we need to be better managing and structuring our junior systems.

Juniors should be coming through from 14/15 years of age knowing exactly what the Parramatta Eels are about in terms of culture and expectations. We should be weeding out any player who doesn't want to "buy in" before the age of 18 and shipping them out. Not buying has beens hoping they will turn good. Then blaming the coach because he has f**k all to work with.

Cloeel

Juniors
I am not saying that we are or are not well coached. That is a separate argument.

All I am saying that in order to give any coach the best possible chance at being competitive we need to be better managing and structuring our junior systems.

Juniors should be coming through from 14/15 years of age knowing exactly what the Parramatta Eels are about in terms of culture and expectations. We should be weeding out any player who doesn't want to "buy in" before the age of 18 and shipping them out. Not buying has beens hoping they will turn good. Then blaming the coach because he has f**k all to work with.

This will also leave us less exposed with the likes of Moses and Gutherson putting us to the sword.

If they left we would have the next up and coming player who has been built by our pathways.

Penrith just dropped one of there next big superstars (Kaitoa I think it is) in lower grades because he signed with the Dolphins. Just to replace him with the next star on the production line.

We have minimal leverage and a weaker culture than the top sides until we get our own Junior "production line" sorted out.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
I know, reading this thread can seem like that mate.
And the game on Saturday night was pretty shit too hey!

Mate this forum is a barometer as to how the majority of people feel about the Eels on any given day or week after we play.

So don't sit there high and mighty thinking that you are somehow better then what we read on these pages, when all we are seeing from our team is more failure and the realisation that as the season wears on that this too is going to be another failed campaign, especially since we all, including the wider NRL community, had such high expectations.

The roster hasn't just suddenly lost is ability, but the coach has always struggled to find consistency in his squads. He has been here long enough. Time is ticking. He must go now, no if's or buts. Sooner rather then later is by far the preferred option otherwise we risk by next season when the remaining squad in 2023 realise they are a weaker squad and won't realistically have the personnel to challenge for the title, will drop right off and we start to perform like the Tigers and Titans on a weekly basis and then really become a hard team to recruit for again.

You think that won't happen? Just wait and see. This is Parra.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

You think the coach has f**k all to work with?? The excuses you make are endless, and throughout his tenure here he’s always gone the tried and tested has been over young talent. It’s only the last few years he’s been willing to give younger talent a go since the rise of the mighty Rouse hill Rhino’s 🥸

Cloeel

Juniors
Mate this forum is a barometer as to how the majority of people feel about the Eels on any given day or week after we play.

So don't sit there high and mighty thinking that you are somehow better then what we read on these pages, when all we are seeing from our team is more failure and the realisation that as the season wears on that this too is going to be another failed campaign, especially since we all, including the wider NRL community, had such high expectations.

The roster hasn't just suddenly lost is ability, but the coach has always struggled to find consistency in his squads. He has been here long enough. Time is ticking. He must go now, no if's or buts. Sooner rather then later is by far the preferred option otherwise we risk by next season when the remaining squad in 2023 realise they are a weaker squad and won't realistically have the personnel to challenge for the title, will drop right off and we start to perform like the Tigers and Titans on a weekly basis and then really become a hard team to recruit for again.

You think that won't happen? Just wait and see. This is Parra.

If forum barometer is anything to go off; that is a problem.

Cloeel

Juniors
You think the coach has f**k all to work with?? The excuses you make are endless, and throughout his tenure here he’s always gone the tried and tested has been over young talent. It’s only the last few years he’s been willing to give younger talent a go since the rise of the mighty Rouse hill Rhino’s 🥸

Don't you want to provide any coach you employ with the best talent and resources possible?

Or just throw him the keys to the city like we have the last 30 odd years only to sack them and move onto the next silver bullet?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Don't you want to provide any coach you employ with the best talent and resources possible?

Or just throw him the keys to the city like we have the last 30 odd years only to sack them and move onto the next silver bullet?
Surely if a coach isn’t happy with his resources he’d be asking for more??

It’s just another cop out and more excuses for a coach who is out of ideas and well past his used by date.

We had the super dooper review, which I said was a Clayton’s review what happened with that?? We said we were going to be a development club and atm we couldn’t develop a turd from a well fed dogs datehole.

Cloeel

Juniors
Surely if a coach isn’t happy with his resources he’d be asking for more??

It’s just another cop out and more excuses for a coach who is out of ideas and well past his used by date.

We had the super dooper review, which I said was a Clayton’s review what happened with that?? We said we were going to be a development club and atm we couldn’t develop a turd from a well fed dogs datehole.

Mate I completely get your frustration and what you are saying.

Although to think a coaching change is going to change our fortunes on the field is laughable.

There are deep systemic issues from years of incompetence and poor use of resources. We can only go off what we know. Which is we are a lot better than what we were 5 years ago and hopefully in 5 more years even better than what we are currently.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mate I completely get your frustration and what you are saying.

Although to think a coaching change is going to change our fortunes on the field is laughable.

There are deep systemic issues from years of incompetence and poor use of resources. We can only go off what we know. Which is we are a lot better than what we were 5 years ago and hopefully in 5 more years even better than what we are currently.
Funny thing is we heard all these excuses 5 years ago, and the 5 years before that. Nothing seems to be done about it, surely some of this is on the coach as well?? I’ve been saying it for yonks get Brian Smith in to work on the pathways.

Cloeel

Juniors
Funny thing is we heard all these excuses 5 years ago, and the 5 years before that. Nothing seems to be done about it, surely some of this is on the coach as well?? I’ve been saying got yonks get Brian Smith in yo work on the pathways.

Of course it is.

Im also not against getting a new coach. I just don't believe it to be a critical point of focus that many believe it should be.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Of course it is.

Im also not against getting a new coach. I just don't believe it to be a critical point of focus that many believe it should be.
Honesty is your last name Arthur???

And not a critical Point of focus??? The horrible attacking and defensive structures and the being unable to get the team to play anywhere near the best each week have absolutely nothing to do with lack of resources or the pathways. I’d say they are far more worrying than anything going on in the pathways at the moment. It’s not impossible to fix both at once but that might mean a hasty decision 😐

Cloeel

Juniors
Honesty is your last name Arthur???

And not a critical Point of focus??? The horrible attacking and defensive structures and the being unable to get the team to play anywhere near the best each week have absolutely nothing to do with lack of resources or the pathways. I’d say they are far more worrying than anything going on in the pathways at the moment. It’s not impossible to fix both at once but that might mean a hasty decision 😐

Mate they have everything to do with the resources and pathways.

Look at the Panthers and the Storm. It is deeply embedded in them what the expectations are, for the organisation that they are representing. They are culturally and systematically light years ahead of us. Week in week out.

You can't magically say things or enforce expectations ton blokes you have recruited from other mediocre systems and expect them to change.

You are severely over estimating the impact a head coach has on an NRL team.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mate they have everything to do with the resources and pathways.

Look at the Panthers and the Storm. It is deeply embedded in them what the expectations are, for the organisation that they are representing. They are culturally and systematically light years ahead of us. Week in week out.

You can't magically say things or enforce expectations ton blokes you have recruited from other mediocre systems and expect them to change.

You are severely over estimating the impact a head coach has on an NRL team.
So that’s a Yes for being an Arthur???

And it’s more of the same excuses and waffle, you are carrying on like it’s 2012 and the club is an absolute shambles. This squad was tipped to challenge for a title and atm we will struggle to make the 8.

hindy111

Post Whore
Of course it is.

Different coach may see players differently. This could be a good or bad thing.
I for one call bullshit on coaches not having a say on recruitment. If this is true then its very poorly run. I feel the coach would have a large say on who he thinks should be kept or let go and who we need to target.
I feel BA would of been a big part why we went hard for Gutherson and why we let guys like Papali'i and Mahoney go. Id say he felt they where not worth the money they wanted. That's fine. Reed isn't worth 650k in my book either.
If 500k was needed to keep Papali'i id of coughed it up. For me this was the biggest a stuff up. Had we offered him 350- 400k after about 10-12 games for us I am certain he signs and stays.This is where the coach should be involved. He can see what the players are capable of at the gym and training and should be advising whoever does contracts to strike now.

I also firmly believe Gutherson was kept cause BA wanted at all costs. For me it was time to move on from this guy. At 500k he's decent value. At 600k it's fair. But this 750-800k for him. Plain and simple no. On your bike and good bye.

If the coach had no say in recruitment then why did so many credit him with the Watmough and Foran signings? They where two guys BA targeted. This is fact.

Overall BA is a solid coach. When we move on from him I reckon we are a 30% chance of going backwards, 40% chance of staying the same and 30% chance of getting better.
I think it is worth the risk to move on.