What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

hindy111

Post Whore
Another issue thats been done to death - including a detailed comparison of origin, international and finals experience amongst the better squads.

We don't quite match the better sides for experience or leadership but it is well above average.

I try to save definitions like "superstar" for truly elite players who have demonstrated this through what they have delivered. I don't think we have players in that category, but many of them are very good.

You don't use your superstars as freely as I first thought.

hindy111

Post Whore
I went over every sides best 17 in the comp and guess who the two clubs with the least amount of players/Jnrs they developed into NRL players

Bulldogs and Eels both tied.

If people think we don't have something wrong with our juniors then they have rocks in their heads. I even counted Matterson as ours even thou we where unable to to get him into the NRL.

It's easy to bag the coach. I agree he is part of the problem. But our Jnr development and retention is diabolical for a club our size.

We need to be producing atleast 1 or 2 NRL level players a season. Who in the last 5 yrs have we unearthed who are genuine NRL players?

D.Brown,Mahoney, Penisini,

We could argue Dunster and Kafusi as well.

4 of those guys where unearthed close to 5yrs ago now. In the last 3yrs we've produced one player in Penisini.
Its a terrible output. Unacceptable

To be successfull you need young kids coming thru every year ready to take over from the guy who now wants his pay day.
We simply do not have that. Our options are buy and hope we get a gem like Papali'i or go after a bad boy needing a 2md chance or someone who has had a lot of injuries. This is throwing darts. For every Papali'i there is your Cartwrights,Roache and so on.

Untill we fix our junior supplies we ain't winning shit. Juniors mean a cheap 2 or 3 seasons which gives you an advantage in the salary cap. They are also more likely to stay for slight unders having a bond with the club who bought them into the system since they where 14.

Filling your squad with money chasers never works. Seen it to often before.

Last edited:

Cloeel

Juniors
I went over every sides best 17 in the comp and guess who the two clubs with the least amount of players/Jnrs they developed into NRL players

If people think we don't have something wrong with our juniors then they have rocks in their heads. I even counted Matterson as ours even thou we where unable to to get him into the NRL.

It's easy to bag the coach. I agree he is part of the problem. But our Jnr development and retention is diabolical for a club our size.

We need to be producing atleast 1 or 2 NRL level players a season. Who in the last 5 yrs have we unearthed who are genuine NRL players?

4 of those guys where unearthed close to 5yrs ago now. In the last 3yrs we've produced one player in Penisini.

Exactly so is that a coaching problem?

Or is it a resources problem?

People bang on about the coach and fail to dig a bit deeper into the systemic issues that go beyond running laps at Kellville.

emjaycee

Coach
No, let’s just say our players simply aren’t good enough compared to the top teams even though they’ve consistently demonstrated they’re amongst the best in their positions. If Koroisau was in our team then the fans would say how he’s no Damien Cook. He’s just not good enough.
I think on their day alot of our players are as good as those in the top teams. Unfortunately, they dont seem to be on their day often enough and at the same time as each other very often.

Cloeel

Juniors
I think on their day alot of our players are as good as those in the top teams. Unfortunately, they dont seem to be on their day often enough and at the same time as each other very often.

Which is why developing players from a younger age and having strong pathways to the NRL is far more important than the instant dopamine hit of giving the coach the arse every couple of years. looking for the silver bullet.

hindy111

Post Whore

People bang on about the coach and fail to dig a bit deeper into the systemic issues that go beyond running laps at Kellville.

Unsure mate. But I do recall people on here saying how BA has had a lot to do with the JUNIOR set ups and how we have some of the best talent coming thru in years. This goes back about 4-5yrs. Id expect all this talent to be flowing by now.
Our juniors seem to be going average at best.

I can't blame BA for our JNR SETUP. I have no idea how it works. But it's certainly broken. Untill its fixed we will see guys like Makatoa and Ogden as our depth.

hindy111

Post Whore
We may as well keep BA for the next 30 years if we don't strengthen our pathways.

Agree. You need good kids constantly pushing the starting 17.
At the moment I can't think of one in NSW CUP who we just can't hold back or is destined for NRL .

hineyrulz

Post Whore

To be successfull you need young kids coming thru every year ready to take over from the guy who now wants his pay day.
We simply do not have that. Our options are buy and hope we get a gem like Papali'i or go after a bad boy needing a 2md chance or someone who has had a lot of injuries. This is throwing darts. For every Papali'i there is your Cartwrights,Roache and so on.

Untill we fix our junior supplies we ain't winning shit. Juniors mean a cheap 2 or 3 seasons which gives you an advantage in the salary cap. They are also more likely to stay for slight unders having a bond with the club who bought them into the system since they where 14.

Filling your squad with money chasers never works. Seen it to often before.
Development club!!

It’s easy to slap a label on something but much harder to do it. I’ve heard the junior ranks are full of nepotism and useless merkins. A bit like first grade 🤓

TheRam

Coach
They have 6 current State of Origin 2 squad members and 2 NZ internationals

Yeah they are not as strong as they were a few years ago, but they are still stacked

I stand by what I said. There spine, other then Teddy, is all over the place and there forwards are not what they used to be. Adding the former want to be mass murderer to their squad mid season may help a little but they still need to rebuild somewhat. Hence their current position outside the 8.

Really, are you struggling to see this, or are you just being an argumentative pou?

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Lol, if you think we are well coached I have a bridge to sell you.