What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 51.1%

• Total voters
It’s all become… untenetable

images
What a mess that was.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The best one of that was when Thurston said it after winning a finals match.
I remember Nathan Merritt said it when he played his one and only origin. They were going up to Brisbane to collect the 2 points.

No wonder we got smashed and Merritt never played for NSW again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But I read we had the toughest pre season ever. So confused.
Yeah if the team does well then they did have the toughest preseason ever but if they do poorly then they were lying about how tough the preseason was. Why buy better players (like the Cowboys did) when you can just get a coach who does the toughest preseason?

Chipmunk

Coach
Yeah if the team does well then they did have the toughest preseason ever but if they do poorly then they were lying about how tough the preseason was. Why buy better players (like the Cowboys did) when you can just get a coach who does the toughest preseason?
It's difficult to believe that just Chad Townsend and Peta Hiku alone could turn a team from second last to second in 19 games.

If that's the case then it is as simple as putting these two blokes in our team and getting rid of Moses and Penisini and we're Premiers.

Once again, Pou Bear more full of bullshit responding for the sake of responding.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's difficult to believe that just Chad Townsend and Peta Hiku alone could turn a team from second last to second in 19 games.
There's also a whole bunch of youngsters who came of age this year - Cotter, Gilbert, Luki, Nanai, Neame, Taulagi and Dearden. Plus Dally M winner Taumalolo is back in form. But we have seen how a better kicking game can transform a team - look at Brisbane. They also have the same coach as last year, just like the Cowboys.
If that's the case then it is as simple
I've told you before it's never simple. See above.
as putting these two blokes in our team and getting rid of Moses and Penisini and we're Premiers.
Well as I've just shown you there's a lot more differences this year than just those two. One thing that isn't different though is the coach. He was there last year when they underperformed. And Townsend was able to have such an effect because kicking game is something the Cowboys severely lacked. However it is one of our strengths so adding Townsend would have diminishing returns. In fact replacing Moses with him would make our kicking game worse. Kicking game isn't what we lack. What we lack is go forward from our wingers and fast, aggressive, hard working forwards.
Once again, Pou Bear more full of bullshit responding for the sake of responding.
Grow up merkin

Chipmunk

Coach
There's also a whole bunch of youngsters who came of age this year - Cotter, Gilbert, Luki, Nanai, Neame, Taulagi and Dearden. Plus Dally M winner Taumalolo is back in form. But we have seen how a better kicking game can transform a team - look at Brisbane. They also have the same coach as last year, just like the Cowboys...

Well as I've just shown you there's a lot more differences this year than just those two. One thing that isn't different though is the coach. He was there last year when they underperformed. And Townsend was able to have such an effect because kicking game is something the Cowboys severely lacked. However it is one of our strengths so adding Townsend would have diminishing returns. In fact replacing Moses with him would make our kicking game worse. Kicking game isn't what we lack. What we lack is go forward from our wingers and fast, aggressive, hard working forwards...
The coach had also only been there for one season previously, but recognised what the squad needed and what they lacked. They recruited a couple of experienced players, one in the spine particular, but the Cowboys coaching staff have publicly said that they identified that their playing group lacked resilience and an ability to be able to cope with adversity, and this was impacting their performances dramatically. They worked on specific elements in the off season that would hopefully improve this. It's clear they have been able to improve the squad dramatically through a combination of a number of aspects.

So, reiterating, they identified issues and rectified them in one off season.

I agree with your observations with Townsend, and the same with Reynolds at the Broncos, and the comparision to our team, but both those organisations coaches had only been there for one previous seasons. You could argue that 8 years ago our new coach was in the same position as the Cowboys and the Broncos, and was able to identify what the squad needed, and lacked, and was able to improve those areas over time to be a Top 6 team by 2017. Ours have been here for now 9 years and there has been negligible improvement to the actual teams performance across the last 3 seasons, which has regressed this season based on our defence statistics alone.

After 9 seasons, if the coaching staff were aware of what the squad needed or lacked to be able to improve their results, then they have not been able to rectify the issues themselves during the off season, and there is an argument that they have only made things worse. In the previous 8 seasons we've had one Head Coach and 3 senior assistant coaches. How many senior assistant coaches have the Roosters, Storm, Souths, Panthers had in those 8 seasons?

The players have hit a plateau, have regressed this season, and it appears the coaching staff are incapable of improving this squad further, based on the performances across the last 12 months. It's time for either a significant change of playing personnel or coaching staff, as remaining with primarily with the status quo is only going to see the team regress further.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The coach had also only been there for one season previously, but recognised what the squad needed and what they lacked. They recruited a couple of experienced players, one in the spine particular, but the Cowboys coaching staff have publicly said that they identified that their playing group lacked resilience and an ability to be able to cope with adversity, and this was impacting their performances dramatically. They worked on specific elements in the off season that would hopefully improve this. It's clear they have been able to improve the squad dramatically through a combination of a number of aspects.
Like us after 2018?
You could argue that 8 years ago our new coach was in the same position as the Cowboys and the Broncos, and was able to identify what the squad needed, and lacked, and was able to improve those areas over time to be a Top 6 team by 2017. Ours have been here for now 9 years and there has been negligible improvement to the actual teams performance across the last 3 seasons, which has regressed this season based on our defence statistics alone.
This is why I think we are at the peak for a club our size. Top six is the best we can do with our resources. It's why the best coaches won't come here. The Cowboys and Broncos have both proved to be bigger, better resourced organisations. Their recent underperformance is just that.

Granted the players might’ve recognised all this and could be demoralised by the fact we are being forced to lose players next year rather than continually getting stronger like so many fans think should be possible “NiNe YeArS fFs!!!”. But either way I don’t think it’s a coaching problem, and likewise I doubt any given new coach would be the solution. But I’ll concede a new coach could possibly give the players the comfort of the illusion that he could suddenly make us a club with top resources. I’m sure plenty of fans would be comforted, and no doubt the CEO and board are starting to think so too.

But my opinion is that we would be shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic, and money, not coaching, is required to consistently perform at the level of the top clubs.

Last edited:

Latest posts