What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In what direction is the universe expanding?

Never a truer word said.

I will always maintain the view that facts are built on observation and evidence, not faith and belief.

Also the statement regarding aliens thinking mankind is tribe of nutters is spot on.

Are you sure you're not my long lost twin?
You’re a high quality poster LL, but we don’t know if faith or belief isn’t fact or vice versa.

You can’t prove or disprove a creator.

There’s time people of science have to lay down their guns and just concede a state of unknowing.

Im going to have issues with the Big Bang until we resolve it. Something coming from nothing, remains highly problematic. Science, facts and evidence appear to come to nought on this issue.

Many people of faith are constructive and do good things. I think they should not be condemned.

Last edited:
Most of the Ancient beliefs and scientific theory come from worshipping gods, Prometheus gave fire to man thus giving him technology a will to think for himself. It's only when the monotheistic religions come into the equation turned things ugly (Like the burning of the Library of Alexandria), The renaissance Religion was man awakening again.
Give me Greek mythology over that other story book.

The Bible (full of libel).

I’m going to watch it tonight after work, It looks good.

I’ve seen weird things in the sky and a “ ghost in the games room” experience, but I don’t trust my senses.

As for religion, lots of good things arise from it as well, but faith in and of itself, is neither good or bad.

Materialism is a fools errand.
That was an interesting preview. Just goes to show Earth is just a subatomic particle on the arse of a blue whale.

Parra

Referee
Exciting announcement that the first images from the James Webb space telescope have been released. Really is amazing.

bileduct

Coach
Exciting announcement that the first images from the James Webb space telescope have been released. Really is amazing.

The images were great but holy f**k the livestream was an absolute abortion.

The detail on the Carina Nebula one was incredible. I've photographed that guy through my telescope on a few narrowband wavelengths but they are worlds apart from what James Webb can do.

___

Juniors
I’m going to watch it tonight after work, It looks good.

I’ve seen weird things in the sky and a “ ghost in the games room” experience, but I don’t trust my senses.

As for religion, lots of good things arise from it as well, but faith in and of itself, is neither good or bad.

Materialism is a fools errand.
No problem I hope you enjoyed it.

Knight76

Juniors
Back on topic though, scientists know there is something out there in all the supposed 'nothingness'. 'Dark matter' is the name given to the thing that no-one can see, feel, detect, measure ... but they know it's there! It pushes the galaxies in the directions they're going. Yes, even some into the directions of others. Galaxies can have car crashes too..!

So, if all galaxies existed in a central spot from the beginning, then exploded outwards with the big bang, meaning shot out in ever direction away from that central point and also away from each other, how can a galaxy crash in to another galaxy?

Given all galaxies are heading outwards from one another and from each other, a collision should be impossible.

So, if all galaxies existed in a central spot from the beginning, then exploded outwards with the big bang, meaning shot out in ever direction away from that central point and also away from each other, how can a galaxy crash in to another galaxy?

Given all galaxies are heading outwards from one another and from each other, a collision should be impossible.
That’s an interesting point.

It must mean that the globs or whatever flying out of the bang, were at different speeds and trajectories.

I’ve still got unresolved issues with something arising out of alleged nothingness. Be it a sub sub etc atomic particle thingy.

Or a piece of processed cheese teleported from a distant exo universe beyond our observation that started our universe.

But I live in vain hope that if we interested in survival, humankind can live peacefully and after helping and resourcing people, animals and the environment, we can spend the worlds defence budget on astronomy, space and physics etc.

Try to do something constructive with our short human epoch.

Parra

Referee

It is incredible to consider and read about. Galaxies can collide due to local gravity. The big bang didn't start at a central place. There was no place. It happened everywhere at once.

It is incredible to consider and read about. Galaxies can collide due to local gravity. The big bang didn't start at a central place. There was no place. It happened everywhere at once.
You’re doing my head in lol!

That’s quite a bold submission and I’d love any background if you can manage it.

I probably won’t understand it, but I’ll try.

Knight76

Juniors

But, if everything is expanding outwards from each each other, if you hit rewind then all mass would be getting closer to each other, and given enough time, end up all together in one location.