What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keary committed to Ireland

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Luke keary has committed to Ireland,

Sydney Roosters star Luke Keary is set to provide a massive boost to Ireland at the upcoming World Cup after revealing he was committed to the Wolfhounds.

Keary, who qualifies for Ireland through his father, regrets missing the opportunity to represent his family heritage at the 2017 World Cup and has told Wolfhounds coach Ged Corcoran that he is keen to play for the Celtic nation at the end of the NRL season.

“I stuck my hand up for them in 2017, it didn’t eventuate because I had a few things at the back end of the year so we will just see how the next few weeks go, but I have told the people I need to tell what my intentions are,” he said.

“I wish I did play for Ireland in that World Cup, I just didn’t get to. I have always had a connection there since I was a kid.

“Dad’s family are still over there. He has gone to visit, I haven’t been over there but you just feel proud. When you talked about it as a kid you always felt proud. It makes me feel good thinking about it.”

The 30-year-old posed alongside an Irish flag with Rugby League Ireland sponsor and official Rory O’Hara after the Roosters’ July 28 match against Manly.

Keary is likely to play in the halves with Leeds playmaker Richie Myler, while a number of other NRL stars, including Manly Sea Eagles centre Morgan Harper and Gold Coast Titans prop Jaimin Jolliffe, have been linked to Ireland.

LukeKearyIreland.jpg

“I know Richie Myler is a pretty experienced five-eighth but I haven’t thought about it in too much detail,” Keary said. There are a lot of players going for England selection too, that might miss out.”

A three times premiership winner with South Sydney (2014) and the Roosters (2018, 2019), Keary has played two Tests for Australia in 2018 and also made one State of Origin appearance for NSW.

Jarome Luai’s decision to play for Samoa has left Australia without an obvious back up five-eighth should Cameron Munster be unavailable but Keary said he had made the call to play for Ireland at the start of the season.

Ireland was considered hard done by to miss the quarter-finals at the 2017 World Cup after beating Wales and Italy, whose side included Roosters and Blues captain James Tedesco, but losing 14-6 to Papua New Guinea in Port Moresby.

“They were good, they won two games and they just missed the finals. The probably should have beaten PNG,” Keary said. “I am keen to play and if I do get the chance I will be proud to represent Ireland.

“I spoke to them at the start of the year. We have got Jamaica, Lebanon and the Kiwis. If we can get through those first two games, I think we will be right.

“It is going to be a great World Cup, there are so many great NRL players who are putting their hands up to play for their nations of birth or heritage or where their parents come from. I think it is great for our game.”

Coastbloke

Bench
Translation: In 2017 his club stopped him from playing IRL, but if it was Origin, no worries..

yakstorm

First Grade
A great pick up for Ireland, which they'll need if they want to finish second in Group C

jim_57

Staff member
The list of eligible players for Ireland is quite impressive, they can pretty much name a full team of Super League players plus from the NRL Keary obviously but also players like Finucane, Nikorima, Harper, Carrigan & Curran are a few eligible.

They have stated they want players that are as keen to represent Ireland in the years between the World Cups which is reasonable, it will interesting to see how they go about it. Having some meaningful games lined up for 2023-24 would definitely help keep a few of those players there, frankly NRL and Super League clubs won’t release players for a friendly against England Knights.

England are crying out for a strong European opponent which Ireland could be even with Super League only players, “heritage” team sure but so are Tonga, Samoa, Lebanon etc, won’t stop them getting games. Obviously France should be a focus as well.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
What about Kyle Flanagan? , they still need a 9 and 1 , I’m not too familiar with the super league ? I know Ireland always roll out decent forwards

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I really hope Finucane, Nikorima, Harper, Curran put there hands up, Curran is a weapon , Harper is solid Finucane will really harden them.

Carrigan will make the kangaroos so I don’t see him going to Ireland

yakstorm

First Grade
England are crying out for a strong European opponent which Ireland could be even with Super League only players, “heritage” team sure but so are Tonga, Samoa, Lebanon etc, won’t stop them getting games. Obviously France should be a focus as well.
I've never understood the reluctance by the RFL to organise an England v Ireland Test outside of a World Cup.

Ireland has had strong heritage teams for most of the last two decades, there has always been a strong rivalry between the new nations, there are strong Irish communities in the RL heartlands and whenever the two teams have clashed it has rated well on TV and been a sellout.

15-20K watching England v Ireland at Headingly, plus the BBC covering it is a far better mid season international than 10K at Warrington to watch England play a Combined Nations All Stars at Sky covering it.

jim_57

Staff member
I've never understood the reluctance by the RFL to organise an England v Ireland Test outside of a World Cup.

Ireland has had strong heritage teams for most of the last two decades, there has always been a strong rivalry between the new nations, there are strong Irish communities in the RL heartlands and whenever the two teams have clashed it has rated well on TV and been a sellout.

15-20K watching England v Ireland at Headingly, plus the BBC covering it is a far better mid season international than 10K at Warrington to watch England play a Combined Nations All Stars at Sky covering it.

Looking at a potential Super League only Ireland side they could definitely give England a good hit-out and would make more sense than CNAS. A mid & post season tri series starting with England/France/Ireland & Wales/Scotland/Italy with some sort of P&R would be a good start.

MKCS

Juniors
Didn't know about all the eligible Super League players for Ireland but if they could snag Keary, Finucane and Curran they could do really well.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Didn't know about all the eligible Super League players for Ireland but if they could snag Keary, Finucane and Curran they could do really well.
Not just them, Morgan Harper and I think a few more names from the nrl , Keary has said he’s playing for Ireland even if Australia wants him. Curren would be a big get plus dale, but patty will get picked by Australia as soon as the broncos get knocked out, Qld won origin, so most of those forwards will be picked.

England87

Juniors
Ireland is an interesting side as their are roughly twenty Super League players that are eligible and most have previously stated there passion for representing their heritage. Can not say the same for the likes of Scotland, Italy etc. Similar to the Pacific Island teams.

There best 17 on paper should be good enough to make the quarter finals in that group. I would expect Cleary and Myler to be the halfs. I would back them to get the chocolates against Lebanon playing 'at home'.

In that group Jamaica will be 80% Championship and League One Players. They wont compete for a full 80 mins aginst NRL quality halfs.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Ireland is an interesting side as their are roughly twenty Super League players that are eligible and most have previously stated there passion for representing their heritage. Can not say the same for the likes of Scotland, Italy etc. Similar to the Pacific Island teams.

There best 17 on paper should be good enough to make the quarter finals in that group. I would expect Cleary and Myler to be the halfs. I would back them to get the chocolates against Lebanon playing 'at home'.

In that group Jamaica will be 80% Championship and League One Players. They wont compete for a full 80 mins aginst NRL quality halfs.
Which super league players ? Are they qualify or fringe super league players ?.

England87

Juniors
There centres will be Toby King and Sam Wood. Both are top 5 in their position in Super League on their day.

At fullback they have a few options it depends who puts their hand up. A really good utility called Riley Dean from Warrington was there 18's Captain. Proper Irish.

In the pack you have Joe Philbin, Liam Byrne, James Bentley and George King. These blokes wouldn't look out of place in an England shirt.

Keary is there only 'world class player' and at this stage they have no real options at 9.

The squad will most likely be 50% Super League, 30% Championship/League One and a sprinkle of NRL guys.

I think Curran has declared on radio or a podcast that he will play.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
There centres will be Toby King and Sam Wood. Both are top 5 in their position in Super League on their day.

At fullback they have a few options it depends who puts their hand up. A really good utility called Riley Dean from Warrington was there 18's Captain. Proper Irish.

In the pack you have Joe Philbin, Liam Byrne, James Bentley and George King. These blokes wouldn't look out of place in an England shirt.

Keary is there only 'world class player' and at this stage they have no real options at 9.

The squad will most likely be 50% Super League, 30% Championship/League One and a sprinkle of NRL guys.

I think Curran has declared on radio or a podcast that he will play.
If they get Dale from the sharks, he will add a class harden 13 from that Melbourne storm system.

I’ve heard josh cook from the bulldogs might put his hand up, he’s the backup 9 at the dogs, handy addition if they are light on talent at 9.

Jolliffe from the Gold Coast Titian’s us a massive powerful forward too who will add some go forward.

maybe Morgan Harper to the wing if they have class centres already.

England87

Juniors
I forgot about Harper. He would probably push Wood into the pack. Also Ethan Ryan at Hull KR and Keith Seniors twin boys are wing options. Louis Senior has been outstanding this year for a young bloke.

Gareth Obrien is a journeyman spine player for Castleford, he could be an option at 9 or back up to the halfs. He has committed previously but has always been injured.

1-17 will all be SL and NRL players but they are stuffed if they get any injuries.

Latest posts