What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Charlie Staines played centre and ran for almost 300mtrs. Wouldnt cost a lot and has upside. Might be a good project

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We have to blame the coach a bit. Nobody really saw this level of improvement coming from Brown because nobody tends to develope under BA.
Are you f**king serious? Plenty of players have improved under Arthur's coaching. It doesn't mean he is the reason for the improvement though - I believe players generally all reach their potential, however they look better in better teams, plus the stronger clubs are just better at junior recruitment/retention and so end up with more of the high-demand, high-potential youngsters. This looks like those clubs are better at 'development' when really they are just better at recruitment and retention.

My point is, Arthur might have nothing to do with the great development shown by players like Drown, Gutherson, Papali'i, Mahoney, Lane or even Moses (as in they might've become just as good at any other club), but he at least hasn't prevented it, which is your implication.
If anyone knew Brown would be this good there is no way Guth would have got the pay rise and extension he got.
If we didn't know Drown had this level of potential we wouldn't have offered the attractive player option that he took up when he could've signed for anyone else.

As for Gutherson, he is a senior player and a club leader with no history of off field issues. Drown might be able to replace him on the field but no chance he replaces what Gutherson provides off it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not going to lie I thought Drown was a lost cause and would have been happy to see him let go after his mediocre season last year. Credit to Pou who saw through all that and predicted that he would end up becoming out X factor. No idea how he saw it but he turned out to be right.
There's no crystal ball involved. It was just likely based on his age and what he had already shown.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sure (for @strider), but this concedes that this will always be the case and it’s an inevitability. We should be aspiring to be better in this regard, and able to establish a similar roster at least to the Panthers. Roosters have the Politis influence but we should be able to compete with the likes of Penrith.
I think so too, and I believe it's possible. But it's out of Arthur's hands and probably even O'Neill's too. At the same time, the best evidence we have that guys like Arthur and O'Neill aren't as good as their counterparts at bigger clubs is the fact that they aren't at bigger clubs. They are at Parramatta.

Like you, I hope we can become a stronger club. I just don't think replacing the coach is the quick fix. In fact if there was a better coach than Brad Arthur available I seriously doubt he would want to come to our club. Not yet anyway.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How do you know what players are on you merkin, FFS 🤣
Well I don't, which is why we have algebra. When I talk about players being on unders I am referring to their current price vs their value on the open market, which is represented by their price at their gaining club next year. We don't know either of those prices but if we agree with the assumption that the player is leaving because he will get more money at his new club then we know that the price at the new club (x) is equal to their current price (y) plus the difference, which is a positive value (z).

x = y + z

In this case z represents (roughly) how much value we are getting out of the player above what he is getting paid, i.e. unders. Obviously this leaves aside the possibility that the player will be on overs at his new club but in any case it is more than we are paying.

If you disagree that the player is leaving for money then you must believe that clubs like Canterbury, Wests and the Warriors have other recruitment advantages that we couldn't match. Possibly true for the Warriors (the only team in NZ, where many NRL players are from) but surely not for Western Sydney clubs Canterbury and Wests.
or is shit just a shit recruitment department ? f**king apologist merkin 🤣
Well it's certainly not as good as the recruitment department at bigger clubs. I have never disputed this. A coach can only work with the squad the club can give him.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well I don't, which is why we have algebra. When I talk about players being on unders I am referring to their current price vs their value on the open market, which is represented by their price at their gaining club next year. We don't know either of those prices but if we agree with the assumption that the player is leaving because he will get more money at his new club then we know that the price at the new club (x) is equal to their current price (y) plus the difference, which is a positive value (z).

x = y + z

In this case z represents (roughly) how much value we are getting out of the player above what he is getting paid, i.e. unders. Obviously this leaves aside the possibility that the player will be on overs at his new club but in any case it is more than we are paying.

If you disagree that the player is leaving for money then you must believe that clubs like Canterbury, Wests and the Warriors have other recruitment advantages that we couldn't match. Possibly true for the Warriors (the only team in NZ, where many NRL players are from) but surely not for Western Sydney clubs Canterbury and Wests.
Well it's certainly not as good as the recruitment department at bigger clubs. I have never disputed this. A coach can only work with the squad the club can give him.

the hangover GIF

hindy111

Post Whore

x = y + z

It's simple mathematics. Jake doesn't get it. He can t follow a basic equation