What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

True_Believer

Juniors
Demetriou takes Ilias off against St George because he's having a shocker and, at that stage, the side has is down by almost 30 points in the first half. Demetriou realises the game is gone, and takes the opportunity of shocking the kid out of his comfort zone, and benches him for the rest of the game. The next week, he puts him straight back into the FG, and presumably, has a good long talk about what is required from him. He both teaches him a lesson and shows confidence in him. Ilias has played extremely well ever since.

Hook drops Sloan for a dropped ball against the titans, on a week end where all games were played in shocking conditions where even Tedesco made similar mistakes. He seems to have lost all confidence while playing reserves, and finally gets an opportunity about 10 weeks later with a spot on the bench. He's put on with 10 minutes to go when the game is gone. He gets on for 20 minutes the following week when the game is in the balance, but looks hesitant as if he's lost all confidence.

So you tell me which method teaches a young player a lesson while maintaining their development?

So sticking with Amone, Ramsay and Matt doesn't count as promoting and sticking with junior players?

dannyt

Coach
So sticking with Amone, Ramsay and Matt doesn't count as promoting and sticking with junior players?
Contrary to popular belief, I think Amone has done OK in first, full year FG. Ramsay has also surprised a lot of people with his form, and picking him is a no brainer. Matt has been solid in FG.

Sloan appears to have been poorly handled. Bud and Max has been injured for much of the year. Bud has had some chances but never any long-term opportunities, while Bird or Mbye are preferred in the centres over Max.

So yes, 50% of these juniors have been given a chance and are doing OK, while the other 50% appear to have been hampered in their development during 2022. Is that a pass mark?

justadragon

Bench
Contrary to popular belief, I think Amone has done OK in first, full year FG. Ramsay has also surprised a lot of people with his form, and picking him is a no brainer. Matt has been solid in FG.

Sloan appears to have been poorly handled. Bud and Max has been injured for much of the year. Bud has had some chances but never any long-term opportunities, while Bird or Mbye are preferred in the centres over Max.

So yes, 50% of these juniors have been given a chance and are doing OK, while the other 50% appear to have been hampered in their development during 2022. Is that a pass mark?
I would say with no improvement in the team overall, and no excuses like last year, and we maybe even worse, we are last or second last in every stat there is (redv podcast), then I would say its a dismal fail. Just because 3 of them have been there, have they been coached right or provided game plans to enhance there strengths, as a matter of fact they have probably had the footy coached out of them, because thats his trait. So 3 yes in the team, but mismanaged.

True_Believer

Juniors

I agree, I think Amone has done well. Yes he has made mistakes and yes there have been times when he has been ineffective, but I think there has been trust and confidence shown in him by keeping him there and giving him that opportunity. Ramsay's efforts speak volumes and, in my opinion, at the moment he is the preferred fullback. Matt, as you say, is reliable and solid. Although unremarkable so far, he hasn't done anything wrong and will only improve.

Max has had a bad run of injuries - I can see why he hasn't had an opportunity yet and needs more game time in reggies. Same with Bud. Unlike some on here, I don't think he makes a good hooker. Yes occasionally off the bench, but I don't think he warrants a full time spot either on the bench or in the team at this point in time. I think he has been managed fine so far.

Sloan needs more work. They have provided him with specific coaching from what I have heard but is making slow progress. I don't think he has been handled poorly at all. I also believe he is a fullback or not in the team. And Ramsay so far has that sown up.

dannyt

Coach
I agree, I think Amone has done well. Yes he has made mistakes and yes there have been times when he has been ineffective, but I think there has been trust and confidence shown in him by keeping him there and giving him that opportunity. Ramsay's efforts speak volumes and, in my opinion, at the moment he is the preferred fullback. Matt, as you say, is reliable and solid. Although unremarkable so far, he hasn't done anything wrong and will only improve.

Max has had a bad run of injuries - I can see why he hasn't had an opportunity yet and needs more game time in reggies. Same with Bud. Unlike some on here, I don't think he makes a good hooker. Yes occasionally off the bench, but I don't think he warrants a full time spot either on the bench or in the team at this point in time. I think he has been managed fine so far.

Sloan needs more work. They have provided him with specific coaching from what I have heard but is making slow progress. I don't think he has been handled poorly at all. I also believe he is a fullback or not in the team. And Ramsay so far has that sown up.
No problems. Let's agree to agree on the points where we agree, and agree to disagree on the points where we disagree.

Agreed?

Dragon David

First Grade
Gee you two are getting a bit too chummy , sounds like me and the wifey ...... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
I can't get too chummy with my wife at the moment 'cause she is over in Portugal with our boys and having a good time and visiting her family in the UK. Well, we do message each other every day but as you know it is not the same. I'm certainly missing her and can't wait for her return in 12 days time. I can now let off a lot more steam when I'm watching the games without her though haha!

Illusion

Bench
I can't get too chummy with my wife at the moment 'cause she is over in Portugal with our boys and having a good time and visiting her family in the UK. Well, we do message each other every day but as you know it is not the same. I'm certainly missing her and can't wait for her return in 12 days time. I can now let off a lot more steam when I'm watching the games without her though haha!
Good for her and the boys , hope they are having a great time ..... Hang in there she will be back soon ..... Not like this place we have been waiting for 12 years for a good change .....

dannyt

Coach
For all our married life, my wife has asked if I'm watching the game at home, at the club, or at the match. Her relief is still palpable when it's the latter two. However, she still desperately thinks of where else she can be when it's the first.

Dragon David

First Grade
Good for her and the boys , hope they are having a great time ..... Hang in there she will be back soon ..... Not like this place we have been waiting for 12 years for a good change .....
Thanks Illusion. 12 days is nothing compared to the 12 years of waiting for another premiership I know. Let's cross everything we have for good luck for the future. That is what we need now.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Demitriou handled it so well with Ilias and yet Saints did not want him after he won everything possible with the reserve side. He should have been Saints coach after that year he won everything yet got punted, and if so Saints would be in a much better position because he knew the juniors inside out. Demitriou will be a super coach mark my words.

dannyt

Coach
Demitriou handled it so well with Ilias and yet Saints did not want him after he won everything possible with the reserve side. He should have been Saints coach after that year he won everything yet got punted, and if so Saints would be in a much better position because he knew the juniors inside out. Demitriou will be a super coach mark my words.
You mean the "attacking coach from North Queensland"? Many here were shouting for him to take over from McGregor before his last extension.

The whole debacle was McGregor getting rid of the competition. Unfortunately, those that mattered listened.

dannyt

Coach
Trouble on the sinking ship with Captain Hook!
Surely he has to walk the gangplank at seasons end, he has history of poor relationships with assistants.
So Griffin has been told of his short-comings, in no uncertain terms, which this article states is getting rid of Gentle and asking McCullough to retire.

Am I missing something, that these are his short-comings????

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Coffs dragon

Bench
So Griffin has been told of his short-comings, in no uncertain terms, which this article states is getting rid of Gentle and asking McCullough to retire.

Am I missing something, that these are his short-comings????
I would have to suspect there’s more to it than just that, especially when McCullough is on team Hooks favourites.
I guess all will be revealed at seasons end, but there certainly is disharmony & unrest with leaks abound.

Old Timer

Coach

Re Sloan

He was selected early on and dropped for perceived weakness's not contesting / attacking the high ball, not tackling someone when confronted with a 2 on 1, not providing guidance to the defensive line.

If these were highlighted and he was told to work on them in reggies and then he finally gets picked in 1sts again and he then refuses to contest / attack a high ball, doesn't tackle a player when he could have and he just meanders around behind the defensive line I am f**ked if I can fathom out how that is the coach's fault.

Sloan either wants to do what is necessary to be a 1st grade full back or he will do nothing thinking he has a free passage and will ultimately piss on his own leg. He wouldn't be the 1st nor would he be be the last exciting junior to not make the transition to the NRL.

In fact how many local juniors have actually made a truly successful transition over the last 15 years compared to all those we thought would make it? And while we are on that point how many juniors did "Good Old Wayne" actually transition into the top grade?

Feagai and Amone whilst not spectacular have done enough in the system to warrant persevering with and have been duly rewarded.

Ramsay has done exceedingly well and was unfortunately injured but somehow so many in this place think that Sloan should be pandered to and when he is not they complain and all the while are happy to create another Aitken / Dufty scenario namely constant selection regardless of constant failures.

Latest posts