What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.5%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And the Chooks have money coming out their cloacas yet they took a rookie NRL coach.
It's because they know coaching isn't the silver bullet. If you have the best recruitment/retention you just need a coach who will perform his limited role well enough. I'm sure the coaches at the biggest clubs have the narrowest focus. They have less on their plate and they only have to do that to the best of their ability.

lucablight

First Grade
Again, it's relative. We obviously have some resources because we make the finals every year (since our 14th wooden spoon at least). But some clubs have made the finals almost every year for decades, and finish in the top four regularly. This across multiple coaches. Ricky Stuart, who every merkin loves to put shit on, won a premiership in his first shot with the Roosters. The Storm won their first premiership without Bellamy. Success isn't just about buying the best coach. Maguire won a premiership at Souths and Seibold finished top four in his only season there. There's a lot more going on under the hood and most of it costs money. The stuff that can't be bought is itself an intrinsic resource. Nobody's going to sign Nick Politis to come and weave his 'magic' at another club.
The Roosters also missed the finals under Ricky Stuart (including a 14th placed finish which resulted in him being sacked). They also received the spoon under Fittler (sacked). The Rabbitohs also missed the finals under Maguire twice and he was sacked. The well resourced Broncos also received the spoon in 2020. Why do you ignore the failures of the well resourced clubs if success comes down to nothing more than resources? It’s rather coincidental that those clubs improved and even tasted success when they changed their coach.

lucablight

First Grade
It's because they know coaching isn't the silver bullet. If you have the best recruitment/retention you just need a coach who will perform his limited role well enough. I'm sure the coaches at the biggest clubs have the narrowest focus. They have less on their plate and they only have to do that to the best of their ability.
Why didn’t they keep Stuart and Fittler on then?

IFR33K

Coach
Matty Johns did a one on one with Payten ... dunno if anyone saw it ... i thought it was good.

What surprised me was that Payten seemed quiet and reserved. I had a feeling he had a bit of agro in him and is firm. But i didnt get that vibe from the interview. Of course tv interviews are very different to coaching, some people arent comfortable with the camera.

I watched it and was quite impressed with him and his insight. All Ba has ever given us is some shit about chasing a collision.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate, do you honestly think a change of coach will change nothing? Come on. You’re an intelligent guy. Our coach offers so little in a football context. The Leagues Club could spend more, but they spend plenty as it is.

What’s the common denominator over the last near-decade? It’s not the board. It’s not the squad. It’s the coach. And has he improved things? Truly, not really.

Time for a change of coach. We can’t persist with what we have at the moment.
Well the last decade for us has been very definitely split between pre-administration and post-administration. Arthur was coach during both periods but the performances on the field were very different. We've actually been very good since 2018. Not as good as a couple of clubs but better than most. Are there better coaches than Arthur? I'm sure there are. But I don't think there's many, and I'm not sure how keen they'd be to come to Parramatta.

Chipmunk

Coach
This is a good point. At a guess, the Roosters took a punt on Robinson who had limited coaching experience and even less as a player but going back to 2012/13 or whenever he took over, I'm not sure who his assistant coaches were...
His assistants in his first season was Jason Taylor and Paul Green.

He has since rotated others through staff to bring fresh ideas, including Craig Fitzgibbon, Matt King, Nathan Cayless, Adam O'Brien, Jason Ryles to name a few all as full time senior assistants.

Bellamy has rotated Seibold, Ryles, Kearney, O'Brien, Mark Brentnall among others in the time BA has been at Parra.

In those 9 years BA has had Murphy, Gentle and Kidwell, and then only Carr for the last couple of months.

Incorrect

Coach
BA had DA on board as his HOF or whatever the role was to help lessen the burden/responsibility but didn't warm to it at all and froze DA and his staff out from what I heard. Seems content to run his own race and not bother with assistance from anyone he perceives as a threat. M'oN as our current HoF is no threat in terms of coaching aspirations so I'm sure that has provided its own stability

JokerEel

Coach
BA had DA on board as his HOF or whatever the role was to help lessen the burden/responsibility but didn't warm to it at all and froze DA and his staff out from what I heard. Seems content to run his own race and not bother with assistance from anyone he perceives as a threat. M'oN as our current HoF is no threat in terms of coaching aspirations so I'm sure that has provided its own stability

Where do you get this threat crap from?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ok, but nothing you’ve said there addresses why you think that a lack of resourcing from the Leagues Club is why we haven’t won a premiership in nearly four decades. What is it? Clubs like Brisbane and Melbourne have inherent advantages as single-city clubs. Clubs like Easts have inherent advantages with business benefactors.

Let’s assume all of that is correct, and we start off the back foot. But then why have each of Souths, North Queensland, Cronulla, Melbourne, Easts, and Penrith won premierships since Arthur has been our coach? Why, in addition to the above clubs, have Canterbury, Brisbane, and Canberra made grand finals since Arthur has been our coach? Why has every other club other than a few gone deeper in finals than us since Arthur has been coach? Does each of those clubs have such an inherent advantage in terms of funding than us?
If they've only done it once it could just be down to luck. If the ball bounced differently in Arthur's first finals match in Melbourne we could've played in week three. Any two point game comes down to the bounce of the ball imo. That was the case for us last year as well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Stuart who?
Alf

1519096071317_GregariousRashArkshell-max-1mb.gif

lucablight

First Grade
If they've only done it once it could just be down to luck. If the ball bounced differently in Arthur's first finals match in Melbourne we could've played in week three. Any two point game comes down to the bounce of the ball imo. That was the case for us last year as well.
That was week 2 of the finals. Not the final minute of the grand final.

DaveMc

Juniors
Well the last decade for us has been very definitely split between pre-administration and post-administration. Arthur was coach during both periods but the performances on the field were very different. We've actually been very good since 2018. Not as good as a couple of clubs but better than most. Are there better coaches than Arthur? I'm sure there are. But I don't think there's many, and I'm not sure how keen they'd be to come to Parramatta.
Let’s just judge him on post-2016 then. Two top 4 finishes, four total finals campaigns, but also a wooden spoon and an inability to progress past the second week of the finals. Surely there is no way that he’s actually gotten the best out of the squads he’s had in that period.

It really boils down to this, for me. Had Arthur gotten the nucleus of this squad as far as he can personally? I think he has. He doesn’t have the runs on the board elsewhere to suggest that things get better from here. He’s had nearly a decade (or, on your yardstick post-2016, five full campaigns so far and in the guts of a sixth one now).

Enough is enough. We cannot and will not win a premiership with Arthur as coach. Would we win one imminently with someone else? I couldn’t say. But I don’t think we’re in a worse position rolling the dice and giving someone else a dig. So let’s do it. Let’s not waste another season or two of the prime years of the likes of Moses, RCG and Paulo. Give them a fresh voice to march to. It couldn’t be worse.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Roosters also missed the finals under Ricky Stuart (including a 14th placed finish which resulted in him being sacked). They also received the spoon under Fittler (sacked). The Rabbitohs also missed the finals under Maguire twice and he was sacked. The well resourced Broncos also received the spoon in 2020. Why do you ignore the failures of the well resourced clubs if success comes down to nothing more than resources? It’s rather coincidental that those clubs improved and even tasted success when they changed their coach.
Because I'm talking about long term trends, not a single lucky (e.g. Sharks 2016) or unlucky (e.g. Roosters 2016) season. If you want to cherry pick examples, the Bulldogs sacked Hasler and the Cowboys sacked Green and both clubs went downhill. The Roosters sacked Stuart four years after winning the comp and they didn't win again for seven years.

DaveMc

Juniors
Because I'm talking about long term trends, not a single lucky (e.g. Sharks 2016) or unlucky (e.g. Roosters 2016) season. If you want to cherry pick examples, the Bulldogs sacked Hasler and the Cowboys sacked Green and both clubs went downhill. The Roosters sacked Stuart four years after winning the comp and they didn't win again for seven years.
Is 36 years of no premiership, 9 of which presided over the current coach, enough of a long term trend?

Latest posts