What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m with you mate! As a commercial partner, you’ll have more bang for your buck than I do. If I were you, I’d be seriously thinking about venting your spleen as a commercial sponsor and withdrawing your funding to make a point about your displeasure.

As it is, I’m just a member, but one who is intending to sever their continuity next year if Arthur remains coach, because I’ve had enough. But my couple of hundred bucks for the year will speak a lot less than your commercial amount.
You and Frank Burge are barking up the wrong tree if you think replacing the coach will solve anything. If you want to threaten the club tell them they need to get the PLC to commit more funding. Sports teams aren’t supposed to be self sufficient, they certainly shouldn’t be turning a profit. They exist to win competitions, and they should be costing their owners money. The Leagues Club needs to tip more in. You need to spend money outside the cap to realise benefits under it. Kind of like money laundering.

DaveMc

Juniors
You and Frank Burge are barking up the wrong tree if you think replacing the coach will solve anything. If you want to threaten the club tell them they need to get the PLC to commit more funding. Sports teams aren’t supposed to be self sufficient, they certainly shouldn’t be turning a profit. They exist to win competitions, and they should be costing their owners money. The Leagues Club needs to tip more in. You need to spend money outside the cap to realise benefits under it. Kind of like money laundering.
Mate, do you honestly think a change of coach will change nothing? Come on. You’re an intelligent guy. Our coach offers so little in a football context. The Leagues Club could spend more, but they spend plenty as it is.

What’s the common denominator over the last near-decade? It’s not the board. It’s not the squad. It’s the coach. And has he improved things? Truly, not really.

Time for a change of coach. We can’t persist with what we have at the moment.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How does this club lack money?
Again, it's relative. We obviously have some resources because we make the finals every year (since our 14th wooden spoon at least). But some clubs have made the finals almost every year for decades, and finish in the top four regularly. This across multiple coaches. Ricky Stuart, who every merkin loves to put shit on, won a premiership in his first shot with the Roosters. The Storm won their first premiership without Bellamy. Success isn't just about buying the best coach. Maguire won a premiership at Souths and Seibold finished top four in his only season there. There's a lot more going on under the hood and most of it costs money. The stuff that can't be bought is itself an intrinsic resource. Nobody's going to sign Nick Politis to come and weave his 'magic' at another club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was unaware the Sharks had a private owner? Scott Penn could tip money in but it is well known he is a tight arse.
Might be why they haven't won anything since he became majority owner.
If the leagues club wants us to be self sufficient then they should put us up for private ownership as what is the benefit of having an association with a pokie den that bleeds the community dry
Agreed

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
it is also code for my membership money really going to the leagues club and also the deplorable ads on the jersey funding the leagues club.
I doubt the NRL team returns a profit that goes back to the PLC. I'm sure the PLC still provides some funding to the footy team. But they could be providing a lot more.

DaveMc

Juniors
Again, it's relative. We obviously have some resources because we make the finals every year (since our 14th wooden spoon at least). But some clubs have made the finals almost every year for decades, and finish in the top four regularly. This across multiple coaches. Ricky Stuart, who every merkin loves to put shit on, won a premiership in his first shot with the Roosters. The Storm won their first premiership without Bellamy. Success isn't just about buying the best coach. Maguire won a premiership at Souths and Seibold finished top four in his only season there. There's a lot more going on under the hood and most of it costs money. The stuff that can't be bought is itself an intrinsic resource. Nobody's going to sign Nick Politis to come and weave his 'magic' at another club.
Ok, but nothing you’ve said there addresses why you think that a lack of resourcing from the Leagues Club is why we haven’t won a premiership in nearly four decades. What is it? Clubs like Brisbane and Melbourne have inherent advantages as single-city clubs. Clubs like Easts have inherent advantages with business benefactors.

Let’s assume all of that is correct, and we start off the back foot. But then why have each of Souths, North Queensland, Cronulla, Melbourne, Easts, and Penrith won premierships since Arthur has been our coach? Why, in addition to the above clubs, have Canterbury, Brisbane, and Canberra made grand finals since Arthur has been our coach? Why has every other club other than a few gone deeper in finals than us since Arthur has been coach? Does each of those clubs have such an inherent advantage in terms of funding than us?

Latest posts