What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The entitled but undeserved Eastern Suburbs mob can deny all they want but it was Alan Jones and the SCG mafia who got the overextravagant stadium and are now leading the charge to protect their new turf And prevent anyone else getting a new stadium!
What were we ever denying? We all knew who was behind the rebuild, we just wanted a refurb of the SFS where a new roof would cover the seats FFS. We definitely didn’t want to play out of the SCG for three years.

forby

Juniors
I meant that the Roosters would never have got this Taj Mahal if it wasn’t for the SCG Trust. Their business case would probably have got them a 20k mini Commbank at best. Even that they would probably never fill!

Colk

First Grade
Gold

I raise you Gold Coast United under Clive Palmer!

GC Suns is really bad as well The Townsville soccer team that was in for a year or two. Western United I think they are called - I know they won the A-League but does anybody in Melbourne know about them. There has been some really bad ones in Australian sporting history

forby

Juniors
GWS will be the Canberra Giants within a couple of years!
Perhaps Penrith should buy Macarthur like they wanted to buy WSW. David Gallops bruised ego put a stop to it then. If it had gone ahead it could be that this discussion is talking about redeveloping Parramatta Stadium whilst there is already a new stadium at Penrith!

flippikat

Bench
GWS will be the Canberra Giants within a couple of years!
Perhaps Penrith should buy Macarthur like they wanted to buy WSW. David Gallops bruised ego put a stop to it then. If it had gone ahead it could be that this discussion is talking about redeveloping Parramatta Stadium whilst there is already a new stadium at Penrith!
Now *there's* an idea that might solidify their case for a new stadium.

If Penrith buys Macarthur, and then goes to the NSW Government with the promise of year-round tenancy in a stadium there, then it'd put the pressure back on the Tigers & Bulldogs to co-ordinate something if they want a new build of their own..

Colk

First Grade
Even if your argument wasn’t so bad you’re making it against points i never made lol

I actually don’t know what you are arguing. Are you really arguing that governments nominally spend money on multiple one tenant stadiums used by professional teams in one city ? If so, give me an example where it happens anywhere else in the world. The other examples are AFL which uses two stadiums or European soccer clubs who fund their own stadiums.

Are you suggesting a political announcement equals it actually being done. If so, you are incredibly naive. Only Brookvale has been partially done for one tenant and the other funds have been allocated to guess what - a multi tenant stadium.

You can live in hope as much as you want that the government is going to fund all suburban stadiums and that all Sydney teams will play at their suburban enclaves, however, it is inevitable that the vast majority of Sydney teams will be playing in shared stadiums.

forby

Juniors
So as I said before, there will never be another new stadium built in NSW if that is the major criteria!

Colk

First Grade
Exactly. If anything, Soccer athletes have similar builds to AFL players, hence why the latter fear the former. For RL it’s the enemy of my enemy…

Another thing to add, from memory, was I think one of the conditions of hosting the men’s World Cup was that all games have to be played at 40k rectangular stadiums. The only ones meeting that condition would have been the SFS and Suncorp. They would have built a couple more in Sydney, I think one in Newcastle. Maybe one in Canberra as well. The AFL states would have also built stadiums as well meaning expansion into those areas would have been a fait accompli (or a lot easier)

Such a shame as all of our issues would have been resolved and the facility disadvantage that rectangular sports have in this country would have been absolved.

forby

Juniors
How? There won't be any new A-League teams in NSW, the NSWRU doesn't want a team west of Concord. So where does anybody get a second tenant?
And if you don't have a big venue you can't get events.
Therefore there can never be a new stadium.!

Now *there's* an idea that might solidify their case for a new stadium.

If Penrith buys Macarthur, and then goes to the NSW Government with the promise of year-round tenancy in a stadium there, then it'd put the pressure back on the Tigers & Bulldogs to co-ordinate something if they want a new build of their own..
A successful A-League is good for the NRL as it strengthens the argument for new stadia. Wanderers were successful during their early years and it helped Parramatta Stadium get a rebuild.

The A-League's fall has hurt the case. Not being on Foxtel anymore won't help.

Colk

First Grade
How? There won't be any new A-League teams in NSW, the NSWRU doesn't want a team west of Concord. So where does anybody get a second tenant?
And if you don't have a big venue you can't get events.
Therefore there can never be a new stadium.!

Have multiple tenants. Partner with other sports. Partially fund your own stadiums. Go to the NRL to propose them owning the ground - V’Landys was talking about the need for the game to have assets after all.

There are options for whole new stadiums being built. These might be options for say Sharks/Dragons or Dogs/Tigers - they could easily look at these options if they simply just work together. Dogs/Tigers could even get MacArthur FC involved to help solidify their case even further.

In terms of Penrith they might have better luck in getting funding by looking at a minor upgrade to their stadium like what happened with Brookvale - just getting one stand for example rather than a whole new stadium

In any case sometimes clubs are their own worst enemies. They either don’t have proper negotiation skills or can’t look beyond their own self interests to find solutions. Banking on the government to bail them out all the time is not really a solid long term strategy because we all know what governments are like.

Colk

First Grade
Hopefully NRL benefit with a Stadium, Regardless some new entertainment facilities will be built as a result

I honestly think there will be if they are smart. A massive population boom in that area, coupled with an offer of large and frequent use of a particular ground and good transport links should be an easier sell than currently.

flippikat

Bench
Have multiple tenants. Partner with other sports. Partially fund your own stadiums. Go to the NRL to propose them owning the ground - V’Landys was talking about the need for the game to have assets after all.

There are options for whole new stadiums being built. These might be options for say Sharks/Dragons or Dogs/Tigers - they could easily look at these options if they simply just work together. Dogs/Tigers could even get MacArthur FC involved to help solidify their case even further.

In terms of Penrith they might have better luck in getting funding by looking at a minor upgrade to their stadium like what happened with Brookvale - just getting one stand for example rather than a whole new stadium

In any case sometimes clubs are their own worst enemies. They either don’t have proper negotiation skills or can’t look beyond their own self interests to find solutions. Banking on the government to bail them out all the time is not really a solid long term strategy because we all know what governments are like.
Just wait till AFL co-ordinates a deal for an expansion team somewhere (Say, Canberra for instance..), with a Big Bash League expansion going there too - which justifies whatever state Government to open their purse for development or a new build for that location.

Then there'll be so much hand-wringing in the league community over "Why don't we partner with other codes to push for stadium money?"

Colk

First Grade
Just wait till AFL co-ordinates a deal for an expansion team somewhere (Say, Canberra for instance..), with a Big Bash League expansion going there too - which justifies whatever state Government to open their purse for development or a new build for that location.

Then there'll be so much hand-wringing in the league community over "Why don't we partner with other codes to push for stadium money?"

Exactly. AFL have an advantage with sharing oval grounds with cricket but they obviously use that advantage very well to get things done. They also look at quality rather than quantity of grounds

A-League has been a summer competition for how long? Have we ever used that to our advantage?