What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Penrith's do. I am pretty sure every other team with a CoE does so
You're talking about the elite kids? They'll be signed to contracts and training at the CofE and no doubt living close by, maybe in a nice Merriton apartment overlooking the water ;)

Colk

First Grade
tbf Penrith traditionally aren't signing many stars from other clubs are they? And they arent holding onto their own local players for very long it would seem.

Nor are the Tigers signing many ‘stars’ Besides Api Koraisau or Papalii who have they signed in the last 10 or so years that was a big name or a player arguably in their prime?

The problem the Tigers have is that at the moment they have no identity. They are not a development club looking at fostering an area like Campbelltown/MacArthur nor are they a club like the Roosters/Souths/Sharks who are in a prime location that can recruit big name players.

Also, are you suggesting that Penrith’s planning hasn’t worked for them? Sure they have lost players - that always happens to successful clubs if they aren’t breaking the salary cap - but they are producing enough players for about 2 or 3 clubs atm. Maybe, just maybe that is what the Tigers need to do

Last edited:
Just to point out some of the agenda dribble that has crept in here, 18 of the top 30 players at Cronulla have come though our junior systems.
In the past two weeks the Dogs have signed two of our juniors and missed out on a few more.
We are a development club, so kindly take your "nice living" agenda off the table.
If you are to post lies expect to be called out on it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nor are the Tigers signing many ‘stars’ Besides Api Koraisau or Papalii who have they signed in the last 10 or so years that was a big name or a player arguably in their prime?

The problem the Tigers have is that at the moment they have no identity. They are not a development club looking at fostering an area like Campbelltown/MacArthur nor are they a club like the Roosters/Souths/Sharks who are in a prime location that can recruit big name players.

Also, are you suggesting that Penrith’s planning hasn’t worked for them? Sure they have lost players - that always happens to successful clubs if they aren’t breaking the salary cap - but they are producing enough players for about 2 or 3 clubs atm. Maybe, just maybe that is what the Tigers need to you
no, hence why they are making their base somewhere that is appealing to star players and their families to live.
Panthers finally woke up to spending on development, helped by the reemergence of their pokie empire to fund it. They had the biggest jnr participation number in the country, and finally realized it was time to tap into it.
Fact remains it will be far easier for tigers to sign stars being based at Concord than at Campbelltown. And its very close to Commbank which they will hopefully make home now the suburban stadium strategy has fallen in its face.
I do agree about their identity though, and they are not alone wit that in Sydney, its all over the place and doesn't really work well for the 21st century and how Sydney is growing.

Colk

First Grade
Just to point out some of the agenda dribble that has crept in here, 18 of the top 30 players at Cronulla have come though our junior systems.
In the past two weeks the Dogs have signed two of our juniors and missed out on a few more.
We are a development club, so kindly take your "nice living" agenda off the table.

Sorry mate. You are fortunate to be both though.

Iamback

Coach
You're talking about the elite kids? They'll be signed to contracts and training at the CofE and no doubt living close by, maybe in a nice Merriton apartment overlooking the water ;)

Yep the SG Ball and Harold Matt kids all train together.

Yeah a 16 year old is going to move schools in year 11 to go closer to where a club stupidly built their CoE

Perth Red

Post Whore
8 of your starting 17 at beginning of season debuted for other clubs. 38% of your squad debuted for other clubs and that's without going into where others played as jnrs. Nothing wrong with that, but don't pretend that cronulla doesnt sign players, and being a nice spot doesn't play a factor in players decisions.

Last edited:
Sorry mate. You are fortunate to be both though.
So when we were down in the dumps and couldn't sign a player to save ourselves, the "nice area" debate was still on the cards,
Having a good coach who is seemingly keeping players on the culture he is building has nothing to do with signing players??
You see how this silly game works, and it wasn't you that started the dribble, it was the whinging one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep the SG Ball and Harold Matt kids all train together.

Yeah a 16 year old is going to move schools in year 11 to go closer to where a club stupidly built their CoE
they have two harold matts and sg ball teams, part of their duality I suppose. I'd imagine the magpies kids will remain down there and the tigers kids at the new cofe. Do 16 year old kids really need to be training in a state of the art CofE anyway?
ps we often see 15 year old kids move from Perth to join an NRL club system, I'm sure moving across a couple of suburbs wont kill them.

Iamback

Coach
they have two harold matts and sg ball teams, part of their duality I suppose. I'd imagine the magpies kids will remain down there and the tigers kids at the new cofe. Do 16 year old kids really need to be training in a state of the art CofE anyway?

It is the clubs training base, Why would they cart the stuff needed for training 62km?

Not to mention moving the physio's etc across too?

I know at Penrith. X player gets injured they are straight into the physio office, looked at then straight into the ice bath etc.

Because each session is filmed, The staff are then able to go back and look at the tape and see if said injury was preventable.

Souffs do similar at their training base. That would be the WT way to do it half assed though

Iamback

Coach
Heaps, and yet they wont sign with us. Go figure. Live in a nice area and only play for that club, what year is this again???
so much f**king dribble.

Well yes but you need to look further at it though, How much was actual interest and just the manager faking interest to get the current club to pay more?

The whinger has no idea about most things this is just another

Perth Red

Post Whore
So when we were down in the dumps and couldn't sign a player to save ourselves, the "nice area" debate was still on the cards,
Being a nice spot only goes so far and doesn't counteract being known as a broke arse druggy club. I presume those were the years you are talking about?

Well yes but you need to look further at it though, How much was actual interest and just the manager faking interest to get the current club to pay more?

The whinger has no idea about most things this is just another
Who knows about manager interest, but that happens at a great deal of clubs.
I see members from the Dogs, Saints and Souths, plus Ciraldo every day, all living in the Shire.
The silly spruik that players only play for Cronulla because of the area is stupid, but yes you are right, no idea is the right framing of his knowledge.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is the clubs training base, Why would they cart the stuff needed for training 62km?

Not to mention moving the physio's etc across too?

I know at Penrith. X player gets injured they are straight into the physio office, looked at then straight into the ice bath etc.

Because each session is filmed, The staff are then able to go back and look at the tape and see if said injury was preventable.

Souffs do similar at their training base. That would be the WT way to do it half assed though
like I said that's the challenge of a joint venture club being in two spots 60km apart. I guess the Dragons face the same challenges. Which ever base you build it at one of the areas is a long way away. Build it in Campbelltown and the kids in Balmain area miss out.
At least this one gives better chances of signing first graders, and lets be honest that's more important to Wests Tigers than how 16 year old kids in Campbelltown are receiving physio.
Maybe they'd be better merging the jnrs as well and bringing them all up to Concord? But that then limits HM and SG ball spots for kids in sydney. The joys of joint venutres!

The other side is the asset Tigers now have on their books. I'm guessing they have been gifted the land and the funding for this? That's a very decent land value asset now on their books.

Being a nice spot only goes so far and doesn't counteract being known as a broke arse druggy club. I presume those were the years you are talking about?
You brought the area into it. It was the same area.
Can you not see how stupid your comments are now?
Stop trying to divert your initial comment.
Same area, different management. A better run club, nothing to do with area.
Take your simple mind games somewhere, anywhere, else.

Iamback

Coach
like I said that's the challenge of a joint venture club being in two spots 60km apart. I guess the Dragons face the same challenges. Which ever base you build it at one of the areas is a long way away. Build it in Campbelltown and the kids in Balmain area miss out.
At least this one gives better chances of signing first graders, and lets be honest that's more important to Wests Tigers than how 16 year old kids in Campbelltown are receiving physio.
Maybe they'd be better merging the jnrs as well and bringing them all up to Concord? But that then limits HM and SG ball spots for kids in sydney. The joys of joint venutres!

The other side is the asset Tigers now have on their books. I'm guessing they have been gifted the land and the funding for this? That's a very decent land value asset now on their books.

Listen to every interview Tim Sheens says since taking over, It is they want to develop their talent...Yet they put the best facility to develop them 60km away. Just dumb