What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
You brought the area into it. It was the same area.
Can you not see how stupid your comments are now?
Stop trying to divert your initial comment.
Same area, different management. A better run club, nothing to do with area.
Take your simple mind games somewhere, anywhere, else.
I think you'd be pretty naïve to think that where you are going to live doesn't impact decisions on which job to accept, especially if you've got a family. Is it the only factor? Of course not, but its certainly a consideration.

Colk

First Grade
So when we were down in the dumps and couldn't sign a player to save ourselves, the "nice area" debate was still on the cards,
Having a good coach who is seemingly keeping players on the culture he is building has nothing to do with signing players??
You see how this silly game works, and it wasn't you that started the dribble, it was the whinging one.

The fact that you were struggling financially at a time would have been your biggest problem in attracting talent.

Also areas can be important per se but I think it’s influence is severely reduced when talking about Sydney because players can live wherever they want (to an extent).
It’s not like my club Canberra who will always struggle to recruit players because of the location.

That saying though there are clubs that are able to recruit better in Sydney and Tigers aren’t one of them and they are never likely to become a Roosters or Souths. So, my suggestion, was simply to position themselves in an area that is growing and make themselves more of a development club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So more than half of our first grade squad at the beginning of the season started with us????
And you think thats a bad thing.
You are really twisted.
haha I didnt say it was a bad thing, just dont BS that Cronulla arent signing players from other clubs lol. Nearly half the starting squad, and 38% of the full squad, are signed from elsewhere.

Iamback

Coach
The fact that you were struggling financially at a time would have been your biggest problem in attracting talent.

Also areas can be important per se but I think it’s influence is severely reduced when talking about Sydney because players can live wherever they want (to an extent).
It’s not like my club Canberra who will always struggle to recruit players because of the location.

That saying though there are clubs that are able to recruit better in Sydney and Tigers aren’t one of them and they are never likely to become a Roosters or Souths. So, my suggestion, was simply to position themselves in an area that is growing and make themselves more of a development club.

The moment Penrith treated themselves as a regional club, The fortunes turned around.

Canberra should expand up and take over that area

I think you'd be pretty naïve to think that where you are going to live doesn't impact decisions on which job to accept, especially if you've got a family. Is it the only factor? Of course not, but its certainly a consideration.
Once again, just so you can read it properly, I see Souths, Saints, Dogs players and management every single day in the Shire.
Really, stop the twisting.
Fitzy lives on the South Coast, has an hour drive each way, every day, he should be coaching the Dragons by your logic.

haha I didnt say it was a bad thing, just dont BS that Cronulla arent signing players from other clubs lol. Nearly half the starting squad, and 38% of the full squad, are signed from elsewhere.
I never said that they werent signing other players. Just that we develop a lot of players.
Where is your brain at????

Colk

First Grade
like I said that's the challenge of a joint venture club being in two spots 60km apart. I guess the Dragons face the same challenges. Which ever base you build it at one of the areas is a long way away. Build it in Campbelltown and the kids in Balmain area miss out.
At least this one gives better chances of signing first graders, and lets be honest that's more important to Wests Tigers than how 16 year old kids in Campbelltown are receiving physio.
Maybe they'd be better merging the jnrs as well and bringing them all up to Concord? But that then limits HM and SG ball spots for kids in sydney. The joys of joint venutres!

The other side is the asset Tigers now have on their books. I'm guessing they have been gifted the land and the funding for this? That's a very decent land value asset now on their books.

You have inadvertently got to the point. Balmain is a small area in the inner west (more centre of Sydney now than anything). Campbelltown and the surrounding areas are much bigger and will continue to grow exponentially. If you are interested in developing talent why would you not build it in the much bigger area?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have inadvertently got to the point. Balmain is a small area in the inner west (more centre of Sydney now than anything). Campbelltown and the surrounding areas are much bigger and will continue to grow exponentially. If you are interested in developing talent why would you not build it in the much bigger area?
You'd have to ask them.
Maybe Land offer, Govt funds allocated to specific area, closer to what their eventual home stadium will be, attraction of star players to better living area, closer contact with corporate world, positioning themselves differently in terms of fanbase, asset value of development long term?
Who knows but I'm sure they haven't just spent $78mill and picked concord on a whim.

Non Sydney clubs are not in this debate, It goes without saying that they would have to like where they live to play there.
For someone to bring up the Shire just goes to show ignorance on the subject in regards to where players can live in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I never said that they werent signing other players. Just that we develop a lot of players.
Where is your brain at????
No, you were suggesting Cronulla dont sign many players therefore your location is irrelevant. Just showing the nonsense of that statement, both in terms of the fact Cronulla do very much sign players from elsewhere and that a clubs location plays a part in decisions made. Who doesn't want to live in a nicer place?

No, you were suggesting Cronulla dont sign many players therefore your location is irrelevant. Just showing the nonsense of that statement, both in terms of the fact Cronulla do very much sign players from elsewhere and that a clubs location plays a part in decisions made. Who doesn't want to live in a nicer place?
Horse shit, i said we have 18 out of 30 in our squad that we have developed, plus many others in other teams.
So i never made that "nonsense statement"
Go have a coffee, your brain is on the gear.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
The gap is 12 incase you need help with maffs PR. Almost the same number as years that have passed since the druggy issue which went for 6 weeks in a year we ran 13th. GET. OVET. IT.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking at how the Tigers CofE has been funded I'd suggest that has a lot to do with its location. It looks like local council put in a lot and there is talk of local businesses also being involved in funding it. The CofE NSW Govt funded was reliant on like for like funding and a lot of NRL clubs got funding but haven't been able to raise the required funds to move ahead and use them. Looks likes Tigers found a way to make it happen at Concord whilst other clubs 5 years on are still sitting on the money without being able to proceed with anything.

righto champ.
Well dont bring your lies into something and not expect to get called out on it.
You then realised your were wrong and tried to twist the debate somewhere else.
It is not a sign of intelligence.
I'll give you kudos, you are not afraid to show ignorance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well dont bring your lies into something and not expect to get called out on it.
You then realised your were wrong and tried to twist the debate somewhere else.
It is not a sign of intelligence.
I'll give you kudos, you are not afraid to show ignorance.
righto champ

MugaB

Coach
By that rationale, you shouldn’t/wouldn’t have a team in Penrith. The area from Campbelltown/MacArthur, up from where the new airport will be, right up to Penrith is where the growth area of Sydney will be.

If they are too stupid to realise that, then somebody else will
Gus Gould will, i remember hearing he is focusing on the liverpool area regarding junior pathways and pushing south west too, thats suppose to be wests area of macarthur, but these days there's really no borders with scouts, never really has been, its a smart move considering the tigers have never really embraced that area in the merger, happy to sit near Ashfield, and base out of concord,
I get why they do it, i dont exactly agree with it, but the balmain side of pathways are stretching from Carlingford, Eastwood, Ryde to Rozelle, they move to macarthur, might aswell hand roosters the brand, the magpies used concord oval (St.Lukes park) in the early decades of their existence, before going to Pratten park in Ashfield, then again pushing out further west to Lidcombe, before settling in Campbelltown over the century, having their Centre of Excellence in St.Lukes park, or Concord Oval is nod to their history, plus being closer to the Balmain area, see lotsa folks think its just about the tigers wanting to be near the city for corporates, but in 1908 when both these clubs started/existed, "the western suburbs" was Concord and Ashfield, as sydney grows the suburbs kept growing west...
The Wests Tigers will always use that as a reasoning tool, to never move permanently to campbelltown, but i did hear quotes of their lee hagenpantalis saying they plan to host more games in the future

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Sorry mate. You are fortunate to be both though.
2nd biggest junior base in sydney, cronulla are invaluable, and already have taken over the st georges area too, which is fine coz dragons are in wollongong too, so technically if lets say the bulldogs start spending time effort and monies on liverpool and that greater area, maybe they are the future representative NRL team down there, like bathurst is to panthers or Wollongong is to dragons...
I highly doubt that campbelltown will ever host a home game for the bulldogs, but it would be great rugba lig drama if the tigers took a home match there against the bulldogs and call out "the fight for macarthur"

Last edited: