What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

thebigredv

First Grade
Hopeless management of the CLUB. We have to get a NEW Board." You got that right. "

Usually this kind of action doesn't happen until we reach the ultimate low. Instead we are hovering in a place just below mediocrity and it is enough for those in charge to keep their positions. Do the owners have any interest in football whatsoever?

> next to no finals in a decade
> a reactive board (as opposed to proactive)
> a silent CEO
> butchered salary cap
> pitiful recruitment
> another stubborn coach performing at 40% win rate
> zero opposition or backbone shown to a double-standard NRL regime
> dwindling and disillusioned supporter base

If it's not crisis point I ask what needs to happen for us to get there?

Qdf

Juniors
Usually this kind of action doesn't happen until we reach the ultimate low. Instead we are hovering in a place just below mediocrity and it is enough for those in charge to keep their positions. Do the owners have any interest in football whatsoever?

> next to no finals in a decade
> a reactive board (as opposed to proactive)
> a silent CEO
> butchered salary cap
> pitiful recruitment
> another stubborn coach performing at 40% win rate
> zero opposition or backbone shown to a double-standard NRL regime
> dwindling and disillusioned supporter base

If it's not crisis point I ask what needs to happen for us to get there?
This is crisis point.
We need a full impartial Review, of Club management. Exposed for all to see. Let's have a clear look
at the RESULTS these people
In charge have inflicted on this once proud club. Yes RESULTS that have reduced us to laughing stock. A club that players would clamber to be asked to wear the big red V. Now picking up Reserve players, misfits and castoffs. They have alot to answer for, these people getting " fat" of the toil & hard work of successful managers that came before them.

Gareth67

First Grade
This is crisis point.
We need a full impartial Review, of Club management. Exposed for all to see. Let's have a clear look
at the RESULTS these people
In charge have inflicted on this once proud club. Yes RESULTS that have reduced us to laughing stock. A club that players would clamber to be asked to wear the big red V. Now picking up Reserve players, misfits and castoffs. They have alot to answer for, these people getting " fat" of the toil & hard work of successful managers that came before them.
I wonder if the beggars have the hide to pose for a yearly photo , all dressed to the nines in their suits showing the famous St.George Illawarra emblem on it ?

The lot of them should be horse whipped , tar and feathered and then be given a one way ticket to Queensland as punishment for dragging this once proud club to its knees !

End of rant ! 😡

Parko1310

Juniors
Apparently young won’t accept a coaching gig at the Dragons until Craig young’s spell at chairman is finished, or unless he steps down from chairman. As if that makes it seem any better? Craig will still be on the board after he’s no longer chairman and will still have plenty of influence. This team has a very good chance to be a force in 2024 if we recruit well. But sadly, this is just hope and the incompetence of the board will see us in mediocrity for 2024 and beyond.

In my opinion, there needs to be more push from the fans to get this board out. They are a bunch of parasites and not much will change until they’re gone. It’s true that winning starts at the top and unfortunately at the top we are stagnant.

Not sure if anyone keeps up with the premier league, but Manchester United fans have for years pushed for their owners to leave. Finally, the movement is really gaining traction and their owners are looking more likely than ever to sell. I think a similar movement re the Gordon’s, Doust and young is in order. These self-serving, clueless parasites put barely any money into the club and we as fans pay the price time and time again for their incompetence. Enough is enough. Gordon’s out. Oust Doust. Young out.

Mountain Dragon

Juniors
Hi All, first post, go easy.

Anyone have any good intel on why Josh Kerr isn't getting much of a run under Griffin? Seems like there must be some sort of rift there with the likes of Woods and Jayden Hunt preferred.

I thought for much of the year the pack liked size and an ability to get a quick play-the-ball with Lawrie as the biggest middle, particularly with De Belin as his starting partner. Kerr offers both those things imo, even if in small bursts. Surely defensive effort couldn't be the issue if Woods kept getting picked when there was a game limit to his player option? I grew to dislike Woods' impact on the team, seemed to be involved far too many try causes.

On the topic of middles, any rumours that the Dragons are inquiring about Jordan McLean? Probably the best prop off contract in 2023, a position I reckon we need the most improvement in, apart from hooker of course. Surely, we are also throwing the book at Joey Tapine for 24? Exactly the player we need.

The team definitely underperformed but doesn't look like they are too far away imo, indeed we weren't too far away from finals in the end. A few tweaks to the defensive structure around the ruck and a few additions in the middle will help even out the territory battle will provide more attacking options.

Qdf

Juniors
Apparently young won’t accept a coaching gig at the Dragons until Craig young’s spell at chairman is finished, or unless he steps down from chairman. As if that makes it seem any better? Craig will still be on the board after he’s no longer chairman and will still have plenty of influence. This team has a very good chance to be a force in 2024 if we recruit well. But sadly, this is just hope and the incompetence of the board will see us in mediocrity for 2024 and beyond.

In my opinion, there needs to be more push from the fans to get this board out. They are a bunch of parasites and not much will change until they’re gone. It’s true that winning starts at the top and unfortunately at the top we are stagnant.

Not sure if anyone keeps up with the premier league, but Manchester United fans have for years pushed for their owners to leave. Finally, the movement is really gaining traction and their owners are looking more likely than ever to sell. I think a similar movement re the Gordon’s, Doust and young is in order. These self-serving, clueless parasites put barely any money into the club and we as fans pay the price time and time again for their incompetence. Enough is enough. Gordon’s out. Oust Doust. Young out.
Good post, couldn't agree more. We must try and do something to get these scumbags out.

Illusion

Bench

Anyone have any good intel on why Josh Kerr isn't getting much of a run under Griffin? Seems like there must be some sort of rift there with the likes of Woods and Jayden Hunt preferred.

I thought for much of the year the pack liked size and an ability to get a quick play-the-ball with Lawrie as the biggest middle, particularly with De Belin as his starting partner. Kerr offers both those things imo, even if in small bursts. Surely defensive effort couldn't be the issue if Woods kept getting picked when there was a game limit to his player option? I grew to dislike Woods' impact on the team, seemed to be involved far too many try causes.

On the topic of middles, any rumours that the Dragons are inquiring about Jordan McLean? Probably the best prop off contract in 2023, a position I reckon we need the most improvement in, apart from hooker of course. Surely, we are also throwing the book at Joey Tapine for 24? Exactly the player we need.

The team definitely underperformed but doesn't look like they are too far away imo, indeed we weren't too far away from finals in the end. A few tweaks to the defensive structure around the ruck and a few additions in the middle will help even out the territory battle will provide more attacking options.
Welcome to the mad house ...... the house of horrors at the moment ......

Sloth

Juniors

Welcome mate, towards the end of the year he was out injured so wasn't able to be selected. Can't say why overall he wasn't playing more during the year and the likes of Woods was selected over him. To be fair though, he had plenty of opportunity to cement a place in the first grade side but never showed the consistency to stay there.

I also think that Kerr has had a rough deal this season. He hasn't exactly grabbed his limited opportunities with both hands with strong performances but he's a big unit and with some guidance could have made a significant contribution. He's been with us for 6 years now and wouldn't be surprised a) if he looked elsewhere and b) made a real go of it.
Jordan McLean would be a useful depth signing - he's played in two (maybe three?) GF's and has a good engine.
I don't share your optimism about being too far away from finals footy - we were ragged all year and never won a match convincingly - our biggest winning margin was 20, and it was a struggle.
I remember the depression at home when we finished outside the Final Five in 1974, for the first time in 25 years. We've made the semi's only twice since 2011 - and limped in both times. A bigger fall from grace would be hard to imagine. I guess in those days we had Frank Facer at the helm of a board that were ahead of the game - now we have a bunch of faceless suits who can't manage a salary cap.

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench

Speaking honestly we have good potential to be a top 8 team next year on the basis of a few factors...

1. Ramsay, Feagai, Amone w be better players for the extended run in 1st grade this year
2. Hunt needs to move to 9 so Sullivan can move to 7, Liddle on the bench
3. Suli and Lomax will be more established as a centre pairing
3. Possibly a more effective coaching team w the addition of Woolf and co
4. A more settled backline w deliver better combinations (Ramsay, Rava, Lomax, Suli, Fegai, Amone, Sulli)
5. Last 3 game winning streak can be turned into a positive starting in 2023
6. JDB to be more battle hardened after full season...he ws our best forward last 10 rounds...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Nothing will change at board level as this year they will see this as an improvement and be patting them selves on the back of a season on promise. They are happy to just make the numbers and a bonus to sneak into the 8. As long as they do not finish last they will be happy. It is clear that they only look at results and not actual games and performances on the field. On paper it looks like Saints just missed out on finals on 26 points which is more than what they got last year. They won 12-12. Against the top 5 they got flogged but all they see is an L. And they just beat the bottom sides but again all they see is a W. To them that shows improvement. The old flog at WIN who has invested in the club also has no ambition as he is happy to see them make numbers and not make them a force to be a powerhouse. His aim it to cruise along on a shoe string budget. The other Sports mob who missed out on investing had far to much expectation and ambition to become a powerhouse hence why they lost their bid even though it was for much more cash and promise to invest more than WIN.

Fans will be left disappointed again once Hook's contract is extended as if they are not sacking him after this performance what makes you think they will sack him if they come 9th or even 8th and get flogged in game 1 of the finals. Low expectations. His KPI's are much more generous it seems than the players that is for sure.

Lethal25

Juniors
Speaking honestly we have good potential to be a top 8 team next year on the basis of a few factors...

1. Ramsay, Feagai, Amone w be better players for the extended run in 1st grade this year
2. Hunt needs to move to 9 so Sullivan can move to 7, Liddle on the bench
3. Suli and Lomax will be more established as a centre pairing
3. Possibly a more effective coaching team w the addition of Woolf and co
4. A more settled backline w deliver better combinations (Ramsay, Rava, Lomax, Suli, Fegai, Amone, Sulli)
5. Last 3 game winning streak can be turned into a positive starting in 2023
6. JDB to be more battle hardened after full season...he ws our best forward last 10 rounds...
I appreciate your optimism but at this stage I can't share it. Looking at 2022 we had 3 wins and 10 losses against top 8 teams, of those wins two of them were by 2 points. Against the bottom 8 we fared much better at 9 wins 2 losses but again not overly convincing with margins of 2, 4, 5, 6 & 6 accounting for 5 of the 9 wins.

From 2021 defence is slightly improved but attack did not. It's fair to say that all other teams will be hoping to improve on combinations etc as we will be. To this point in his career Hunt has not shown he can organise a team, run the ball and create opportunities definitely. We simply look like a team without a plan in attack. Some individual brilliance every now and again shone through in 2022 but for a large part of the season we look clueless. We have zero recruits locked away and word on the street is to not hold out much hope of anything significant. I really hope that's not the case but this is simply not a top 8 club at the moment

denis preston

First Grade
Nothing will change at board level as this year they will see this as an improvement and be patting them selves on the back of a season on promise. They are happy to just make the numbers and a bonus to sneak into the 8. As long as they do not finish last they will be happy. It is clear that they only look at results and not actual games and performances on the field. On paper it looks like Saints just missed out on finals on 26 points which is more than what they got last year. They won 12-12. Against the top 5 they got flogged but all they see is an L. And they just beat the bottom sides but again all they see is a W. To them that shows improvement. The old flog at WIN who has invested in the club also has no ambition as he is happy to see them make numbers and not make them a force to be a powerhouse. His aim it to cruise along on a shoe string budget. The other Sports mob who missed out on investing had far to much expectation and ambition to become a powerhouse hence why they lost their bid even though it was for much more cash and promise to invest more than WIN.

Fans will be left disappointed again once Hook's contract is extended as if they are not sacking him after this performance what makes you think they will sack him if they come 9th or even 8th and get flogged in game 1 of the finals. Low expectations. His KPI's are much more generous it seems than the players that is for sure.
You have made a lot of suppositions there mate. None of us on here knows what is really going on at the club, positive or negative. Agree that everyone should be judged on results but as the club is 50% owned by a media moguls son and the St George side of the board gets voted in by the Leagues club results and not football club performance, accountability is not binding but it is what we have to deal with.

Parko1310

Juniors
if someone started one of those signature things they did for Dufty im sure it would go well, not sure if it would mean much though
This along with signage at games reading "gordon's out" for example, and whatever else people want to say (so long as it isn't hateful) could potentially help a push to get them out. Further, if anyone needs a new jersey, we could potentially get second hand ones instead of putting money in their pocket. Holding back on purchasing memberships in protest can also help.

The reality is this club doesn't have enough of an identity and the people at the top are doing absolutely nothing about it. A new stadium is in order. We need, in my opinion, to play out of one stadium (being WIN). Success on the field will push for a new stadium. Look at Penrith, three good years and all of a sudden they're getting a brand new stadium. It's time to let go of the past and present a united front as St George Illawarra. We wear the famous Red V, but play out of Wollongong. Surely that's enough of a compromise. This is one club, not two, and that needs to be accepted. Only then can we have a proper identity. After success out of one stadium for a few years, and hopefully the promotion of a wollongong team into the A-league, we can push for a new stadium to be built in wollongong. That gives us two final years to play out of Kogarah whilst the new stadium is built.

Yes, I know this will take years because the centre of excellence is also being built, but why not start looking like a united club NOW. Play out wollongong, keep the red v and the dragons emblem. Away strip should be our steelers 40 years jersey from this season. Get someone on making a team song, like most other teams have in the comp, when they come running out of the tunnel. Playing U2 and Louis Armstrong when the team runs out/wins is embarrassing and divisive. Just bring some soul into the place and some identity. I'm sure we as fans would love a united front to be presented and all get behind our team together. Our players lack pride in the jersey, but what is there currently to be proud of apart from the history behind our founding clubs? A united club will bring pride with it. So many obvious changes can be made to start to fix our issues now. Why not do it?

Inisai Toga

Juniors
This along with signage at games reading "gordon's out" for example, and whatever else people want to say (so long as it isn't hateful) could potentially help a push to get them out. Further, if anyone needs a new jersey, we could potentially get second hand ones instead of putting money in their pocket. Holding back on purchasing memberships in protest can also help.

The reality is this club doesn't have enough of an identity and the people at the top are doing absolutely nothing about it. A new stadium is in order. We need, in my opinion, to play out of one stadium (being WIN). Success on the field will push for a new stadium. Look at Penrith, three good years and all of a sudden they're getting a brand new stadium. It's time to let go of the past and present a united front as St George Illawarra. We wear the famous Red V, but play out of Wollongong. Surely that's enough of a compromise. This is one club, not two, and that needs to be accepted. Only then can we have a proper identity. After success out of one stadium for a few years, and hopefully the promotion of a wollongong team into the A-league, we can push for a new stadium to be built in wollongong. That gives us two final years to play out of Kogarah whilst the new stadium is built.

Yes, I know this will take years because the centre of excellence is also being built, but why not start looking like a united club NOW. Play out wollongong, keep the red v and the dragons emblem. Away strip should be our steelers 40 years jersey from this season. Get someone on making a team song, like most other teams have in the comp, when they come running out of the tunnel. Playing U2 and Louis Armstrong when the team runs out/wins is embarrassing and divisive. Just bring some soul into the place and some identity. I'm sure we as fans would love a united front to be presented and all get behind our team together. Our players lack pride in the jersey, but what is there currently to be proud of apart from the history behind our founding clubs? A united club will bring pride with it. So many obvious changes can be made to start to fix our issues now. Why not do it?
Just my opinion, but personally I like the two stadiums and good to see we’re improving our home record at both grounds this year. Not sure I agree with the perspective about players lacking pride; I’d go for one jersey though: the Red V for home AND the Red V for away!