What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

There is still room for Sloan as the Dragon's fullback mainly because Ramsey is versatile being able to play fullback, winger, and center.
I have been saying same.. re Ramsay whereas Sloan only has the one position that he can make his own. Betting custodian is where Bennett will play him not waste his skills on the wing like our useless coach.

I am seething by the inaction of our BOD not offering Sloan the same courtesy as Sully by telling him he is wanted for the future.. just be a little patient. Looking more and more like there is no love lost between the precociously talented 20 year old and this coach. Griffin is so out of touch he is in another universe. :mad:

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I have been saying same.. re Ramsay whereas Sloan only has the one position that he can make his own. Betting custodian is where Bennett will play him not waste his skills on the wing like our useless coach.
Bennett has very few options as to where people will play but if confronted with what our situation was this year I have no doubt he would pick Ramsay ahead of Sloan at FB.
Sloan has shown no urgency and that is not something that endears you to Bennett.

RedVee_8

Juniors
On the one hand its good to have a decent rumour but on the other it seems it was the same with Kikau this exact time last year and we were just a stepping stone for him. Currently, no star player would want to join us.
Yes nice to have a rumour.
Re D Fifita I half expect that we will miss out on him. He’ll stay at the Titans and Shaylee will leave to join their NRLW team!

Just my view on our recruitment.

On the other hand this speculation is based on him being her partner. Is that even true? There seem to be almost as many articles saying it isn’t true as saying it is. I guess we find out when one of them signs their next contract.

Parko1310

Juniors
Yes nice to have a rumour.
Re D Fifita I half expect that we will miss out on him. He’ll stay at the Titans and Shaylee will leave to join their NRLW team!

Just my view on our recruitment.

On the other hand this speculation is based on him being her partner. Is that even true? There seem to be almost as many articles saying it isn’t true as saying it is. I guess we find out when one of them signs their next contract.
It's true unless they've separated recently. David Fifita was at the NRLW grand final earlier this year for the postponed 2021 season in a Dragons shirt cheering her on.

Sloan has shown no urgency
..but has shown plenty of vision and natural skill. You dont teach that. For interest sake, how many try assists has Ramsay engineered while at fullback. Does he chime into the line at precisely the moment to catch the defense napping. Can he put a player into a gap or chip kick over a lazy fullback for his wide supports to score. Ball skills are a prerequisite for todays custodian. Sloan has them Ramsay does not. Play him on the wing or centre where he can best utilise his pace.

Last edited:
David Fifita would be a a much needed addition to our pack.. can tear em up in the middle or on the edge with his size and impact. But can tend to slip into lazy periods so we will need an attentive coach to stop this and get him playing major minutes.

Last edited:
Word on the grapevine is that our demented FO is looking at yet another hooker and he is not even in this state nor does he play Firsts. What is this obsession with bringing Qlders to this club. Sure if the player is exceptional, elite etc. Hello you half wits we have one of those of our own, Connor Muhlesien and you wont let him near Firsts till '24. Plus an exciting pair of dummy halves in Hooper and Purcell about to reach Ressies. So why the flipping heck do we need another hooker and an import. My head hurts, cant take any more.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Word on the grapevine is that our demented FO is looking at yet another hooker and he is not even in this state not does he play Firsts. What is this obsession with bringing Qlders to this club. Sure if the player is exceptional, elite etc. Hello you half wits we have one of those of our own, Connor Muhlesien and you wont let him near Firsts till '24. Plus an exciting pair of dummy halves in Hooper and Purcell about to reach Ressies. So why the flipping heck do we need another hooker and an import. My head hurts, cant take any more.
Exactly this!

Dragon David

First Grade

“It’s concerning for St George Illawarra fans that it’s got to this point,” The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“It’s no shock because we saw Sloan virtually sidelined this year.

“We saw him appear at the back end of the season playing off the bench (and) it was almost as though head coach Anthony Griffin was trying to keep Sloan happy.

“Sloan will request a formal release from St George Illawarra this week.

“He has two years remaining on his contract and he re-signed in January.”

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin controversially dropped the St George Illawarra junior after only three rounds and his player management is the sticking point in Sloan’s potential departure.

Sloan wants to play under a coach he believes he can benefit from, Riccio said.

There you go. This is what I have said. Hook isn't the coach to make Sloan a better player nor is Hook able to get any other youngster up there (except for maybe Amone) and I thought that one of the reasons why Hook was appointed head coach was because of his ability to do more with bringing through the youth. I suppose though if given a bit more time, Hook might have helped but by the sound of things he hasn't after 2 years at the club. Same could be said for Bud Sullivan.

Hook just isn't the answer to not only these issues but so many more that in the time he has left with us isn't going to get us into the finals.

Illusion

Bench

“It’s concerning for St George Illawarra fans that it’s got to this point,” The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“It’s no shock because we saw Sloan virtually sidelined this year.

“We saw him appear at the back end of the season playing off the bench (and) it was almost as though head coach Anthony Griffin was trying to keep Sloan happy.

“Sloan will request a formal release from St George Illawarra this week.

“He has two years remaining on his contract and he re-signed in January.”

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin controversially dropped the St George Illawarra junior after only three rounds and his player management is the sticking point in Sloan’s potential departure.

There you go. This is what I have said. Hook isn't the coach to make Sloan a better player nor is Hook able to get any other youngster up there (except for maybe Amone) and I thought that one of the reasons why Hook was appointed head coach was because of his ability to do more with bringing through the youth. I suppose though if given a bit more time, Hook might have helped but by the sound of things he hasn't after 2 years at the club. Same could be said for Bud Sullivan.

Hook just isn't the answer to not only these issues but so many more that in the time he has left with us isn't going to get us into the finals.
You know that I know that and most on here know that , but the idiots running the joint don't ..... And I can see this all setting up for a D.Young coaching stint when Hook fails again ......

Dragon David

First Grade
You know that I know that and most on here know that , but the idiots running the joint don't ..... And I can see this all setting up for a D.Young coaching stint when Hook fails again ......
It certainly is on the cards for this to happen Illusion. All I can say is that Sloan is just fed up. He knows that he can play as full back and also knows that he needs to do more development on his body and improve his defensive skills but needs a good mentor to help bring this about and Hook just hasn't done this.

Dean Young might have this quality and is young (no pun intended) enough to be part of blooding the youth and at the same time be overall judgemental in other parts of building a strong first grade team without being too palsy with the players - its a business is what he needs to build up and keep at arms length any form of favouritism.

What a sad indictment on a NRL coach. Craig Young bled red and white for this club yet he appears to be ignoring the fact that the coach whose boss he is, is bringing it into disrepute. We picked this coach as he was supposed to be good at developing juniors to top grade level. Well he has failed miserably, proof being we may lose two of our most promising.

Gareth67

First Grade
As BLMO1 has said this could very well be a rehash of the previous story of a couple of months back . We need to take into consideration that those journos don’t play cards in their spare time as they don’t trust one another as they all cheat . Therefore what better then to stir the pot once again and get the dregs of an old story.

However the point is that I am sick to death of players whom signed a contract - in good faith , then asking for a release whilst the ink is still drying .

As far as I am concerned they can do the right thing and fulfill their contractual obligations or sit out what remains of it without pay . It’s called a ‘ Gurdon Tellis ‘ the contract you don’t have , when you have a contract ! 😳

Last edited: