What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Yow

Juniors
As BLMO1 has said this could very well be a rehash of the previous story of a couple of months back . We need to take into consideration that those journos don’t play cards in their spare time as they don’t trust one another as they all cheat . Therefore what better then to stir the pot once again and get the dregs of an old story.

However the point is that I am sick to death of players whom signed a contract - in good faith , then asking for a release whilst the ink is still drying .

As far as I am concerned they can do the right thing and fulfill their contractual obligations or sit out what remains of it without pay . It’s called a ‘ Gordon Tallis ‘ the contract you don’t have , when you have a contract ! 😳
Why can’t these young ones take a bit of ownership of their own game and workout their own flaws like taking bombs following the ball in defence instead of taking the easy way out of a club you can get mates down at the local park to put bombs up and grubber kicks. 2023 is a new season have the attitude I’m good and I will prove that I’m a 1 st grader and deserved to be picked

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
As BLMO1 has said this could very well be a rehash of the previous story of a couple of months back . We need to take into consideration that those journos don’t play cards in their spare time as they don’t trust one another as they all cheat . Therefore what better then to stir the pot once again and get the dregs of an old story.

However the point is that I am sick to death of players whom signed a contract - in good faith , then asking for a release whilst the ink is still drying .

As far as I am concerned they can do the right thing and fulfill their contractual obligations or sit out what remains of it without pay . It’s called a ‘ Gordon Tallis ‘ the contract you don’t have , when you have a contract ! 😳
Hi Gareth. I am from your era and so share your views on contracts. I believed the NRL reached a noted low point when coaches Stuart and Cleary joined the break-my-contract mob. In relation to Sloan, his initial dropping may have been a little harsh - there were plenty of players who didn't measure up in that Sharks game- but he certainly didn't earn a recall through hard work in the NSW Cup. Some flashy tries and touches for the highlights reel but still lost under the high ball. And his last 10 mins or so back in the NRL vs the Titans was horrible.

Hard to imagine that if Tyrell needs more support within the club that a guy like Jamie Soward would not be able to take him under his wing. Explain to him that what is important at his age is the development of his game and not which grade he is playing. Ramsey has grabbed the fullback spot because he has worked on his game.

These types of stories about footy players being disgruntled remind me of the time when Mark Gasnier rejoined the club in 2010. Beau Scott was moved back into the forwards to accommodate Gasnier's return. A journalist asked coach Bennett what Scott thought of the move. The reply? "I didn't ask him!"

Parko1310

Juniors
I hope the story isn't true and I don't believe it is for this reason. Sloan and Sullivan are both on holiday in the gold coast. You would hardly think that whilst they're on holiday either one of them would be agitating for a release. It might be Sloan's management kicking up a storm or just lazy journalism picking up an old story. Riccio isn't exactly credible, and no credible journalist has actually come out and reported this story a second time thus far.

Cupper

Juniors
Whilst I agree Fifita can be somewhat lazy at times. I’d still love him at the dragons, as I believe at least 50% of his issues are that the titans halves have never given him enough quick and early ball. If we got him I think Hunt (if we still have him) would be smart enough to make sure he’s getting the ball as early as possible as often as possible.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
At the end of the day Saints don't have to release these guys. They have a a few years to go. They can sook and kick stones for a year if Saints think they have a plan for life after Hook and are just keeping him for 2023 not to waste a cent. If these guys are part of Saints future just refuse their release and keep them in reggies. The Dogs and Dolphins will then sniff around other teams juniors and Bud and Sloan will be forgotten. That is what good teams do if they have a junior that they plan to build a team around. They would not release them to the opposition. THey only release players that are not par of the future.

For Sloan it is hard though as Ramsey has been great at No.1. You cannot drop Ramsey on his efforts in the No.1 jersey. The kid has done no wrong.

The fact Saints are willing to waste a year with Hook and risk losing juniors is a huge concern however unless they really do sack Griffin mid 2023 if it goes pearshape and have a ready made replacement in Flanagan ready to take over.

When the new coach eventually comes in, he can turn these guys around and get them playing in first grade.

denis preston

First Grade
It certainly is on the cards for this to happen Illusion. All I can say is that Sloan is just fed up. He knows that he can play as full back and also knows that he needs to do more development on his body and improve his defensive skills but needs a good mentor to help bring this about and Hook just hasn't done this.

Dean Young might have this quality and is young (no pun intended) enough to be part of blooding the youth and at the same time be overall judgemental in other parts of building a strong first grade team without being too palsy with the players - its a business is what he needs to build up and keep at arms length any form of favouritism

Perhaps the club will instruct the new AC's to sit down with Sloan and explain the Pathway they have for him. At least have a "good cop" for him to rely on. He comes across as rather sensitive and stories of his upbringing probably caused this . The club must stand form and don't release him ( as the next 2 seasons are make or break for him anyhow ) , show him some love and keep him away from Hook !

Gareth67

First Grade
Hi Gareth. I am from your era and so share your views on contracts. I believed the NRL reached a noted low point when coaches Stuart and Cleary joined the break-my-contract mob. In relation to Sloan, his initial dropping may have been a little harsh - there were plenty of players who didn't measure up in that Sharks game- but he certainly didn't earn a recall through hard work in the NSW Cup. Some flashy tries and touches for the highlights reel but still lost under the high ball. And his last 10 mins or so back in the NRL vs the Titans was horrible.

Hard to imagine that if Tyrell needs more support within the club that a guy like Jamie Soward would not be able to take him under his wing. Explain to him that what is important at his age is the development of his game and not which grade he is playing. Ramsey has grabbed the fullback spot because he has worked on his game.

These types of stories about footy players being disgruntled remind me of the time when Mark Gasnier rejoined the club in 2010. Beau Scott was moved back into the forwards to accommodate Gasnier's return. A journalist asked coach Bennett what Scott thought of the move. The reply? "I didn't ask him!"
Why can’t these young ones take a bit of ownership of their own game and workout their own flaws like taking bombs following the ball in defence instead of taking the easy way out of a club you can get mates down at the local park to put bombs up and grubber kicks. 2023 is a new season have the attitude I’m good and I will prove that I’m a 1 st grader and deserved to be picked
Totally agree gents , Yow you are on the right track where you say that young Sloan need to do the hard yards, prove to the coach that he is indeed the man for the job , ignore the media and for that matter his damn agent .

Dragon Steve that is the one thing that Tyrell does need to work upon his taking of the high ball .the fullback position is a teams last line of defense and his teammates are dependent upon the fullback being able to take those bombs .

Can you imagine him in the days of the glorious kicking duels between the fullbacks ? Keith Barnes v Kevin Longbottom , Langlands v Eric Simms etc. etc. those fullbacks were worth their weight in gold. Today’s mob are a long way short of those gentlemen’s abilities .

No I am afraid that the young man has a lot of work to do imo , at the moment Ramsey has proven himself to be a far more dangerous player in attack and is slowly learning
the role of the team’s custodian at the back of the field .

blacksafake

First Grade
Perhaps the club will instruct the new AC's to sit down with Sloan and explain the Pathway they have for him. At least have a "good cop" for him to rely on. He comes across as rather sensitive and stories of his upbringing probably caused this . The club must stand form and don't release him ( as the next 2 seasons are make or break for him anyhow ) , show him some love and keep him away from Hook !
Your point about the AC’s is a good one.
They supposedly have a good record with youngsters, although we were originally told that Hook also was good at bringing them through ?

Dragon David

First Grade
At the end of the day Saints don't have to release these guys. They have a a few years to go. They can sook and kick stones for a year if Saints think they have a plan for life after Hook and are just keeping him for 2023 not to waste a cent. If these guys are part of Saints future just refuse their release and keep them in reggies. The Dogs and Dolphins will then sniff around other teams juniors and Bud and Sloan will be forgotten. That is what good teams do if they have a junior that they plan to build a team around. They would not release them to the opposition. THey only release players that are not par of the future.

For Sloan it is hard though as Ramsey has been great at No.1. You cannot drop Ramsey on his efforts in the No.1 jersey. The kid has done no wrong.

The fact Saints are willing to waste a year with Hook and risk losing juniors is a huge concern however unless they really do sack Griffin mid 2023 if it goes pearshape and have a ready made replacement in Flanagan ready to take over.

When the new coach eventually comes in, he can turn these guys around and get them playing in first grade.
Good analysis Slippery.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree with this Yow.

Dragon David

First Grade

All good points guys!

I hope the story isn't true and I don't believe it is for this reason. Sloan and Sullivan are both on holiday in the gold coast. You would hardly think that whilst they're on holiday either one of them would be agitating for a release. It might be Sloan's management kicking up a storm or just lazy journalism picking up an old story. Riccio isn't exactly credible, and no credible journalist has actually come out and reported this story a second time thus far.
Lets hope it is as you say.

They should have sacked Griffin end of this season after two failed campaigns. Nonsense to give him 10 matches next season to determine weather he stays or goes. Too late then. Too disruptive and will kill any form while a new coach settles in. This same scenario proved a disaster at the Tigers with Madge the culprit there.

HenryTatana

Juniors
WTF is it with all these millennials. Whether it be in the corporate world or sporting field they think they are MD material or NRL elite players.
Do the hard yards. If you’re good enough and deliver you will be rewarded.
As Chopper would say “Harden the f**k up”.

and just for a bit of comedic relief watch the following:

Old Timer

Coach
If you are going to have a manager stick his hand out for $$$ then you have a right to ask him to perform and better himself.

If he can't take criticism and / or ownership then go play park footy.

Are we going to give in every time we here oooh I don't like the coach and I've had a tough life and just give me what I want and I'll come through for you just trust me?

If you are going to let players deliver on the never never plan then you will end up with Rein, Dufty, Aitken all over again.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Hey wait on Dragons4me, I hope you are not thinking that Anasta said all of what I had in my post. He said the stuff in inverted commas, I said the other which is my opinion and if you think that it is all dribble, then I take umbrage as it is what I am seeing now that it has reached this scenario with Sloan. By the way, I do dribble but it is not rubbish.
Hey DD. My apologies if I have offended. My post (perhaps poorly constructed) was meant to be a commentary about Anasta's comments. Seemed to me to be a fluff piece. Know that I have a massive wrap on Sloan and can't wait to see the young guys tearing up oppositions. We get nothing from the club and have to survive on rumours, which only seem negative on how many supposedly want out. Perhaps I should just concentrate on navel mining.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hey DD. My apologies if I have offended. My post (perhaps poorly constructed) was meant to be a commentary about Anasta's comments. Seemed to me to be a fluff piece. Know that I have a massive wrap on Sloan and can't wait to see the young guys tearing up oppositions. We get nothing from the club and have to survive on rumours, which only seem negative on how many supposedly want out. Perhaps I should just concentrate on navel mining.
Not offended D4me - all good. Rumours are good if they benefit us rather than being detrimental to us. We can only put posts up on what we read or what we are told. Would be good if the club gives us better info for us to either look forward to or moan about.

I somehow think that the rumour of Sloan wanting out could have substance. A shame if it was to happen, but as I've been told many times, the club is what you follow and not the players.

The Villain

Juniors
Whilst I agree Fifita can be somewhat lazy at times. I’d still love him at the dragons, as I believe at least 50% of his issues are that the titans halves have never given him enough quick and early ball. If we got him I think Hunt (if we still have him) would be smart enough to make sure he’s getting the ball as early as possible as often as possible.
Hahahahaaa what?

Since when did ANY of our centres or edges get early ball?

Trifili13

Juniors
Alot on here are upset that Hook did not give Sloan a fair go this year. Just listened to Kenty on NRL360 and I think he is in the Hook camp so he might have an ulterior motive, but what he said and something I agree with to a certain degree is, all coaches want to win as their jobs depend on it so why would he not play Sloan if it would help the team?
Is Hook that dumb, vindictive, etc? some might say yes.