What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

MugaB

Coach
Nice way of missing the point.

The fact remains that 7 out of Sydney's 9 clubs will be playing the bulk of their games out of second rate stadia.

We didn't need to sacrifice the GF just so A-League and ARU could reap the benefits of having new stadia for Western Sydney Wanderers, Sydney FC, NSW Waratahs and Australia Wallabies.
To be fair souths did want to play at the new allianz, st george will take some too, tigers use commbank, all thats left dogs at hombush, manly to upgrade (which im sure can do themselves, or use CC) and sharks can also do themselves, panthers getting a new stadium

Not sure where you get 7 of 9 clubs tho...
Its more like maybe 4

flippikat

Bench
Perth for team 18 (late Sunday slot replaces Friday 6pm)

NZ 2 for team 19 (Friday 6pm Eastern Time is added back, mostly filled by Warriors/NZ 2 home games)

Toss up between Adelaide & another Qld club for team 20.

Sound good?

(Edit, naturally the choice between another Qld club & Adelaide depends on a lot of factors... which could be a topic here in itself... maybe I'll start that separately?)

Wb1234

Referee
The worst thing about the stadium debacle under V'landys and his predecessor is they ignored the best interest of RL across Australia and NZ so they could get the best deal for Sydney's nine clubs. Instead of selling the GF to the highest bidder so they could ship it around the country -- to promote the game and hopefully expand into new markets -- they strung the Queensland Gov along and ensured the GF remained in Sydney until the 2040s. As a Queenslander who loves RL it was a huge "f**k you" from a Sydney-centric administration that I believe is corrupt, biased and incompetent.

To rub insult into injury, seven of Sydney's dumb clubs refuse to make use of them!

South Sydney signed a dumb extention with Stadium Australia and are now whinging because they want out. Tigers would rather play out of dilapidated parks. Bulldogs don't know where they want to play. Dragons and Sharks would rather be hillbilly clubs like Tigers than relocate to the SFS. Manly is just as insular and stubborn as they've always been. The game sacrificed the GF for this monumental waste of resources that are used by a whopping total of two clubs!
Sydney centric ?

the same arlc that added the dolphins bc it will strengthen rugby league in qld even though the qrl didn’t want them added ?

lmao

Sydney centric ?

the same arlc that added the dolphins bc it will strengthen rugby league in qld even though the qrl didn’t want them added ?

lmao
The QRL only cares about itself. They don't care about growing the game across Queensland and never responded when I tried to get the Logan Scorpions reformed in 2012/3.

Dolphins were brought in because they're the least likely bid to eat into the Broncos' fanbase. In other words News Ltd let V'landys bring this mob in because they won't develop a huge following in Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich and Redlands. Firehawks had a brand and location to be a team for Brisbane, Logan and Redlands. Firehawks would have competed directly with the Lions as they share the same area. Dolphins will not offer any competition to the Lions.

Wb1234

Referee
The QRL only cares about itself. They don't care about growing the game across Queensland and never responded when I tried to get the Logan Scorpions reformed in 2012/3.

Dolphins were brought in because they're the least likely bid to eat into the Broncos' fanbase. In other words News Ltd let V'landys bring this mob in because they won't develop a huge following in Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich and Redlands. Firehawks had a brand and location to be a team for Brisbane, Logan and Redlands. Firehawks would have competed directly with the Lions as they share the same area. Dolphins will not offer any competition to the Lions.
So the vkandys isn’t Sydney centric then lmao

thanks

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think the thing that brings the Tigers to the fore in these kinda conversations is their disjointed (Geographically) fanbase/home ground situation and their continued under-performance in recent years, plus the congested nature of Sydney's inner-west - where Bulldogs, Eels, Tigers & nowdays Souths all have a part of the action.
Bulldogs and Eels barely these days. The Dogs territory starts around Hurlstone Park but their heartland is more Bankstown/Liverpool now. Same deal with the Eels, they’re more Parra/Ryde and the Hills District now. The IW is basically Souths and Tigers territory.

Pippen94

First Grade

Dolphins were brought in because they had point of difference to compete with broncos. Melbourne City 2.0 they are not

Pippen94

First Grade

How did u try to reform Scorpions?!

So the vkandys isn’t Sydney centric then lmao

thanks
He wants to revive a dead Sydney club and have it play some games in Perth and some at a dilapidated cricket oval in North Sydney. His focus has been on upgrading Sydney stadia, keeping the GF in Sydney and retaining nine small Sydney clubs by increasing the annual grant to $15m a year.

How did u try to reform Scorpions?!
I ran the site loganscorpions.com and contacted Logan City Council councillors, the QRL, the office of Slacks Creek Lions or Springwood Tigers and Queensland State MP for Woodridge Desley Scott. The only people who responded to me were Lisa Bradley and Desley Scott. Scott said if I could get people who would run the club then she would support it having a base. Bradley thanked me for documenting the history of the club and wished me luck.

I wanted the club to be based at Cronulla Park as it was just sitting empty. That's where the club wanted to be based in 1986, but the Logan City Council made them play out of Meakin Park and charged them an exorbitant 15 year lease that bankrupted them. A former councillor used to go around knocking on doors bad mouthing the club in 1988 because he thought it would help him get elected back into the LCC.

No one was interested, so I stopped going into the State Library to research the history of the club and took down the site. Now a fumbleball club is having its HQ built at Cronulla Park. A massive opportunity lost by the pathetic QRL.

Dolphins were brought in because they had point of difference to compete with broncos. Melbourne City 2.0 they are not
The problem is there's no suitable stadium for them in Moreton Bay and they're just calling themselves "The". If they want to be a Moreton Bay club then they'll need to rebrand as Moreton Bay Dolphins and get a proper stadium built for them in Moreton Bay. Dolphin Oval is not fit for NRL games.

I cannot see them generating a large fanbase in southern Brisbane, which is where a second Brisbane team is needed the most.

Pippen94

First Grade
I ran the site loganscorpions.com and contacted Logan City Council councillors, the QRL, the office of Slacks Creek Lions or Springwood Tigers and Queensland State MP for Woodridge Desley Scott. The only people who responded to me were Lisa Bradley and Desley Scott. Scott said if I could get people who would run the club then she would support it having a base. Bradley thanked me for documenting the history of the club and wished me luck.

I wanted the club to be based at Cronulla Park as it was just sitting empty. That's where the club wanted to be based in 1986, but the Logan City Council made them play out of Meakin Park and charged them an exorbitant 15 year lease that bankrupted them. A former councillor used to go around knocking on doors bad mouthing the club in 1988 because he thought it would help him get elected back into the LCC.

No one was interested, so I stopped going into the State Library to research the history of the club and took down the site. Now a fumbleball club is having its HQ built at Cronulla Park. A massive opportunity lost by the pathetic QRL.

Scorpions are interesting because they came in as an expansion team in 1987 but league was irreverent by 1988. Don't know their qld league history beforehand. Ipswich & Logan are Brisbane's Parra & Logan. Seeing the excitement for gf this week it's a shame those areas don't have teams.

Pippen94

First Grade
The problem is there's no suitable stadium for them in Moreton Bay and they're just calling themselves "The". If they want to be a Moreton Bay club then they'll need to rebrand as Moreton Bay Dolphins and get a proper stadium built for them in Moreton Bay. Dolphin Oval is not fit for NRL games.

I cannot see them generating a large fanbase in southern Brisbane, which is where a second Brisbane team is needed the most.

The goal's to gain fans in the north which has bigger population & can include sunshine coast.

Scorpions are interesting because they came in as an expansion team in 1987 but league was irreverent by 1988. Don't know their qld league history beforehand. Ipswich & Logan are Brisbane's Parra & Logan. Seeing the excitement for gf this week it's a shame those areas don't have teams.
Logan Scorpions were created around the mid-80s. They reached the BRL C-Grade GF in 1987, losing to Redcliffe. They were brought into Reserve Grade and A-Grade in 1988. It was a dumb decision by the QRL as the BRL lost its 60 best players to the NSWRL that year. There just wasn't the talent needed to support an extra club when three clubs worth of elite players were lost to the league. The Scorpions couldn't get a Liquor licence in 1988, so they were losing money from games at Meakin Park.

There was talk of Logan potentially entering the NSWRL in the late 80s and mid 90s. Scorpions coach John Barber wrote an article in the Albert & Logan News about Logan being a good candidate for NSWRL expansion in 1988. He compared the city to Parramatta. There are a lot of similarities between Parramatta and Logan, which the main difference being that Logan has a far bigger population and produces more elite rugby league players.

Pippen94

First Grade
Logan Scorpions were created around the mid-80s. They reached the BRL C-Grade GF in 1987, losing to Redcliffe. They were brought into Reserve Grade and A-Grade in 1988. It was a dumb decision by the QRL as the BRL lost its 60 best players to the NSWRL that year. There just wasn't the talent needed to support an extra club when three clubs worth of elite players were lost to the league. The Scorpions couldn't get a Liquor licence in 1988, so they were losing money from games at Meakin Park.

There was talk of Logan potentially entering the NSWRL in the late 80s and mid 90s. Scorpions coach John Barber wrote an article in the Albert & Logan News about Logan being a good candidate for NSWRL expansion in 1988. He compared the city to Parramatta. There are a lot of similarities between Parramatta and Logan, which the main difference being that Logan has a far bigger population and produces more elite rugby league players.

Parramatta is one of the biggest cbds in Australia. From memory Logan doesn't have one of note. Parramatta population greater if you include surrounding areas which really make up catchment like hills & Cumberland etc.
Logan comprises are larger less densely populated area including rural parts. Parramatta & surrounding LGAs sit in middle of great urbanized sprawl

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
He wants to revive a dead Sydney club and have it play some games in Perth and some at a dilapidated cricket oval in North Sydney. His focus has been on upgrading Sydney stadia, keeping the GF in Sydney and retaining nine small Sydney clubs by increasing the annual grant to $15m a year.
Lmao

the first ever grand final held out of Sydney

and qld will get another nrl club as well

lucky it’s not Beattie or grant still running the nrl

Wb1234

Referee
The GF was moved to Brisbane due to COVID-19. It's disingenuous to claim he chose Brisbane over Sydney.
Perth could’ve got it

just bc he does some things to help Sydney clubs should not be twisted to say he’s Sydney centric

he will do more for rugby league in qld than any leader we’ve had

and who knows if bris don’t get the gf next year if they don’t build those stadia as promised

Colk

First Grade
Perth could’ve got it

just bc he does some things to help Sydney clubs should not be twisted to say he’s Sydney centric

he will do more for rugby league in qld than any leader we’ve had

and who knows if bris don’t get the gf next year if they don’t build those stadia as promised

That’s exactly what he means by Sydney centric: helping Sydney clubs more than he would others.