What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 20 - Who? Adelaide or Queensland 5?

MugaB

Coach
Was it?
Different owners, different board, different brand, different competition.

So I'll stand by my assertion thank you, I miss the Western Reds, not so much the Perth Reds.
So your team only lasted one season, not the three we are led to believe... how does feel that makes it so much worse... come on say with me PR ....

..go the bears!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So your team only lasted one season, not the three we are led to believe... how does feel that makes it so much worse... come on say with me PR ....

..go the bears!
It's like you don't know your RL history lol.
2 seasons if you want to be historically correct!

Go the bears being the operative phrase, go anywhere that'll have them lol

MugaB

Coach
It's like you don't know your RL history lol.
2 seasons if you want to be historically correct!

Go the bears being the operative phrase, go anywhere that'll have them lol
Sorry my mistake, i forgot superleague was only the one season

...go the bears

Marlins

Juniors
If think the NRL’s magic number should be 24 and each team playing each other once in the regular season.

2025/27 18th team North Perth Bears.
Based out of Perth. With 2 games played at NSO.
Maybe take a double header to Perth annually with the bears as the away team. It would still give Perth 11 games in Perth and give North Sydney their team back.

2030/32 19th team Adelaide Rams.
Australia’s 5th biggest city should have a team. Hindmarsh stadium is a quality rectangular stadium with an appropriate capacity for an NRL team. Definitely a mistake kicking them out of the comp after Super League.

2033/34 20th team Wellington Orcas.
Huge potential in terms of developing juniors in NZ. The capital of NZ should also bring RL up a lot more in the media and can help league grow in NZ.

2036/2042 21st team South Perth Team
Perth is only going to get bigger and having north/south derby in the city can only be a good thing.
Having two sides there can also help with a new time slot 6pm Sunday / 9pm Saturday.

2038/2044 22nd team Mackay or Rocky CQ Team.
Huge RL areas but AFL is making huge ground in these areas. Put a 20k stadium in either of these areas and you will have a ready made fan base, Large amount of Juniors, and cut the AFL down. Create a rivalry with the cowboys. Both regions are growing in population and will only get bigger.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
If think the NRL’s magic number should be 24 and each team playing each other once in the regular season.

Maybe take a double header to Perth annually with the bears as the away team. It would still give Perth 11 games in Perth and give North Sydney their team back.

Australia’s 5th biggest city should have a team. Hindmarsh stadium is a quality rectangular stadium with an appropriate capacity for an NRL team. Definitely a mistake kicking them out of the comp after Super League.

Huge potential in terms of developing juniors in NZ. The capital of NZ should also bring RL up a lot more in the media and can help league grow in NZ.

Perth is only going to get bigger and having north/south derby in the city can only be a good thing.
Having two sides there can also help with a new time slot 6pm Sunday / 9pm Saturday.

Huge RL areas but AFL is making huge ground in these areas. Put a 20k stadium in either of these areas and you will have a ready made fan base, Large amount of Juniors, and cut the AFL down. Create a rivalry with the cowboys. Both regions are growing in population and will only get bigger.
So South Pacific Halos and P.N.G Pride are 23rd and 24th??

You forgot if you're going to add a 2nd perth team, we should be looking at 2nd and 3rd in Victoria, before then

flippikat

Bench

You forgot if you're going to add a 2nd perth team, we should be looking at 2nd and 3rd in Victoria, before then
I think the key differences between Perth & Melbourne for a 2nd team are the time difference and the strength of their local league.

Having a 2nd Perth team before a 2nd Melbourne one makes sense from those angles - especially with TV timeslots.

MugaB

Coach
I think the key differences between Perth & Melbourne for a 2nd team are the time difference and the strength of their local league.

Having a 2nd Perth team before a 2nd Melbourne one makes sense from those angles - especially with TV timeslots.
Still 5 million people need their league fix, surely Melbourne storm cant do it alone....

... sarcasm off the charts
20200226_121032.png

Marlins

Juniors

I feel Melbourne is a lot harder market for the NRL.
The Storm are great on/off the field but for all that they still struggle with juniors and even getting on the main FTA channel. The Time slots definitely give Perth an advantage.

for teams 23/24. I’d possibly look at PNG if the countries crime rates and other things improved there. Fiji would be another option. The safest bet would be Christchurch. Having three NZ teams you could 11am/12pm time slots on sat/Sun.

docbrown

Coach
Was it?
Different owners, different board, different brand, different competition.

So I'll stand by my assertion thank you, I miss the Western Reds, not so much the Perth Reds.
Western Reds - based in Perth with a kangaroo mascot
Perth Reds - based in Perth with a kangaroo mascot

Oh my god! The differences are so massive! I can totally understand why you would disown the Perth Reds, even though you share their 8/9ths of their name!

mongoose

Coach

central QLD is not going to happen, population too small, lack of sponsors and will be hard to get players to move there. It is not North QLD...

docbrown

Coach
Hypotheticals are fine, however it's also fine to critic them, especially when your hypothetical is being presented as a realistic possibility when it isn't. I'd also remind you that you are the one that started this interaction not me, so it's very disingenuous to act as if you were just innocently shitposting before it begun.
Your critique is simply "too hard - won't work" when in reality the NRL hasn't barely even bothered to try and any objective person can tell you that. If you can't handle people commenting back on an open discussion forum then your problem is you.

BTW, over the years the NRL have sat down with the Bears to discuss multiple potential opportunities to re-join the NRL, including representatives from the Bears discussing the potential of "relocating" to Perth with PVL
None of those were serious discussions because the NRL has been wish-washy on expansion since even before the Titans. It's hard and costly for bidding groups to make serious proposals and join forces when nobody knows when or where the next team will happen.

Furthermore if the surveys are to be believed then the Raiders have a few hundred thousand supporters in the ACT, yet somehow their membership, attendance, and ratings numbers have never even come close to reflecting that... You're also attributing all of the Lion's support in Melbourne to their association with Fitzroy, which is also absolute BS.
No what I said was that the Lions in general still have a solid base of support in Melbourne. I never attributed it all to Fitzroy, that's a strawman argument. The support for the Lions in Melbourne is not on par with the Swans but it's not insignificant and it is real. Yes, ex-Queenslanders living there are a factor. But you're arguing that almost none of their support in Melbourne is to do with Fitzroy which is absolute BS. A lot of Fitzroy fans still follow the Lions in the AFL and go to games in Melbourne as away fans. The Fitzroy club even sells Lionheart membership packages. Go ask on Big Footy if you don't believe me. Some changed to other AFL teams like North Melbourne but also follow Brisbane as their second team, watching their games on TV etc. They still have supporter venue pubs as well as running junior and amateur teams. You seem to think as if they all vanished off the face of the Earth. If the Bears came back in Perth and you feel like you wouldn't watch them as a second team then fine. You do you. But how you react is your own subjective experience and not indicative of every other former Bears supporters' reactions.

docbrown

Coach
18 - Perth
19 - Adelaide
20 - Melbourne 2 or New Zealand 2 (Wellington)

Brisbane is covered. Central QLD is too small. PNG is too unstable.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
13 corporate boxes doesn't cut it for a stadium anymore. Commbank has 54.
The big issue Coopers has is the location, being hemmed in between Manton & Holden Street makes it impossible to grow any further.

Shame really as it's only a Matt Burton 40/20 kick away from Adelaide Entertainment Centre tram stop and Bowden railway station.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The big issue Coopers has is the location, being hemmed in between Manton & Holden Street makes it impossible to grow any further.

Shame really as it's only a Matt Burton 40/20 kick away from Adelaide Entertainment Centre tram stop and Bowden railway station.
Looks to be room at the other end if they pulled that stand back? Would also solve the length of pitch problem? I dont see how it would be easy to add a lot more corporate boxes though now they've roofed the other side and thats where the real game day revenue is. It could be a big problem any future NRl club to amximise game day revenue there. HBF Park has a similar problem but hoping one day they pull the West stand down and replace it with a decent sized corporate stand

westerntiger

Juniors
My understanding is the South Australian government won't build a new rectangular stadium. AFL clearly running the show

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe pulling end stand down and creating a roofed bowl to connect the three stands could get it up over 22k and maybe a few more boxes in the end stand? Not sure feasibility of demolishing the small buildings in the way though??

coopers stad.jpg

Latest posts