What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 20 - Who? Adelaide or Queensland 5?

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I haven't argued otherwise. I was literally arguing the importance of television rights to the game and clubs above everything else, whereas you said:

So really you're only proving my point. Thank you.
Mate you are literally arguing with the forum's biggest imbecile.

I put that bloke on mute ages ago, the sooner everyone else does the better off we'll all be.

He reminds me of some of the nuffies who used to gob off on the old Rleague Grandstand forum back in the day.

MugaB

Coach
If we're lucky then Broncos and Dolphins will cover all of Brisbane, but will Dolphins being on the northern outskirts and no team south of the river it means there is a large segment of the city unrepresented.

The Lions and Bullets are based south of the river.
So was...
ComfortableIncompatibleAstarte-size_restricted.gif

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
As a QLDer that would love to have a Jets or Firehawks in the NRL I have to say Adelaide has to be the priority so we can begin to carve out the same niche we have in Melbourne in both Adelaide and Perth.

If, after national expansion in Australia and doubling our presence in NZ things are going gangbusters commercially, we can then look at the luxury of another SEQ team. The question then becomes, do we need another SEQ team? My answer is yes for the following reasons:

- SEQ is one of the largest population centres in the country and that will only continue to grow. The game can and should grow with it as other codes will increasingly try and expand into it. RL already has the upper hand and four NRL teams (Broncs, Phins, Tits & Jets) makes it very hard for other codes to get any meaningful sized foothold and will certainly make administrators from other codes think twice about adding additional teams in the region because it will be such an uphill battle (see GWS in Sydney).

- The combination of Dolphins (North), Broncos (Central), Titans (South) and Jets (West) gives us a good footprint in a large population centre, are spread far enough apart to have their own slice of that market without too much overlap (assuming the long-term vision is Dolphins at a 25k Redcliffe stadium, Jets at a 25k Ipswich stadium) but without stepping over the fine line of oversaturation.

- More QLD derby and rivalry games means better TV ratings and attendances which helps the NRL as a whole.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
As a QLDer that would love to have a Jets or Firehawks in the NRL I have to say Adelaide has to be the priority so we can begin to carve out the same niche we have in Melbourne in both Adelaide and Perth.

If, after national expansion in Australia and doubling our presence in NZ things are going gangbusters commercially, we can then look at the luxury of another SEQ team. The question then becomes, do we need another SEQ team? My answer is yes for the following reasons:

- SEQ is one of the largest population centres in the country and that will only continue to grow. The game can and should grow with it as other codes will increasingly try and expand into. RL already has the upper hand and four NRL teams (Broncs, Phins, Tits & Jets) makes it very hard for other codes to get any meaningful sized foothold and will certainly make administrators from other codes think twice about adding additional teams in the region because it will be such an uphill battle (see GWS in Sydney).

- The combination of Dolphins (North), Broncos (Central), Titans (South) and Jets (West) gives us a good footprint in a large population centre, are spread far enough apart to have their own slice of that market without too much overlap (assuming the long-term vision is Dolphins at a 25k Redcliffe stadium, Jets at a 25k Ipswich stadium) but without stepping over the fine line of oversaturation.

- More QLD derby and rivalry games means better TV ratings and attendances which helps the NRL as a whole.
Im actually thinking the opposite, Ipswich had previously had strong ties with the broncod, even the Clydesdales did aswell, im not saying move the broncos west, but have them play a few games that way (trials,exhibitions etc) and bring in East Tigers... they are already set up to get promoted to 1st grade, and are a potential juggernaut financially, ive mentioned before they should just tweak their branding slightly to make them a sabretooth prehistoric tiger, instead of clashing with the mascot and colors of sydneys wests tigers, orange, brown, and white. The firehawk branding was as terrible as the bombers idea..

Brian potter

First Grade
Im actually thinking the opposite, Ipswich had previously had strong ties with the broncod, even the Clydesdales did aswell, im not saying move the broncos west, but have them play a few games that way (trials,exhibitions etc) and bring in East Tigers... they are already set up to get promoted to 1st grade, and are a potential juggernaut financially, ive mentioned before they should just tweak their branding slightly to make them a sabretooth prehistoric tiger, instead of clashing with the mascot and colors of sydneys wests tigers, orange, brown, and white. The firehawk branding was as terrible as the bombers idea..
They should breakup the west tigers and relocate the balmain half to Brisbane and either keep the the magpies half in western Sydney or move relocate them to Perth.

MugaB

Coach
They should breakup the west tigers and relocate the balmain half to Brisbane and either keep the the magpies half in western Sydney or move relocate them to Perth.
Yeah this seems to be a reoccurring idea, on the expansion forums, merger teams havnt set the world on fire, but, dragons slowly drifting to Wollongong is a great step for the clubs in Sydney to think of spreading outwards, tigers could do the same, but unlikely anything happens..
i still think another inner city brisbane team can work as how i mentioned regarding a brand tweak, it keeps their history relevant rather than ditching it completely for the firehawk branding.. Easts City Sabres

Pippen94

First Grade

..or they could just keep them & not alienate fans in south west which is region slated for third cbd

Pippen94

First Grade
Yeah this seems to be a reoccurring idea, on the expansion forums, merger teams havnt set the world on fire, but, dragons slowly drifting to Wollongong is a great step for the clubs in Sydney to think of spreading outwards, tigers could do the same, but unlikely anything happens..
i still think another inner city brisbane team can work as how i mentioned regarding a brand tweak, it keeps their history relevant rather than ditching it completely for the firehawk branding.. Easts City Sabres

Next Brisbane team will be south & west with stadium at Springfield next to afl ground. Inner city clubs makes no sense as that area already accounted for & has nowhere to grow

MugaB

Coach
Next Brisbane team will be south & west with stadium at Springfield next to afl ground. Inner city clubs makes no sense as that area already accounted for & has nowhere to grow
Broncos can grow west, its not too different from dragons moving south to Wollongong, and Cronulla encapsulating that area..
Not having Suncorp used moreso would be a disservice to people of brisbane, (especially since the 17th team is in redcliffe), Ipswich or Springfield is 30 mins west, it could be better to play a few games, not a whole season

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Im actually thinking the opposite, Ipswich had previously had strong ties with the broncod, even the Clydesdales did aswell, im not saying move the broncos west, but have them play a few games that way (trials,exhibitions etc) and bring in East Tigers... they are already set up to get promoted to 1st grade, and are a potential juggernaut financially, ive mentioned before they should just tweak their branding slightly to make them a sabretooth prehistoric tiger, instead of clashing with the mascot and colors of sydneys wests tigers, orange, brown, and white. The firehawk branding was as terrible as the bombers idea.
The Tigers are a great club with vision, hopefully they get a shot at the NRL one day. I know they weren't the powerhouse they are today back in the 80's but they would actually be the perfect Brisbane city team if the Broncos didn't exist because of their inner city location, well run club and financial might.

A decent scenario for the game in a Universe where the Broncos didn't exist and expansion of the NRL didn't happen until the 90's could have been Redliffe (North), Brisbane Tigers (central), Gold Coast (Burleigh) Bears(South), Ipswich Jets (West).

This would expand the NRL to SEQ and bring some existing famous QRL brands with it and would help rationalise Sydney without losing some traditional logos and colours because I would offer the Brisbane Tigers, Gold Coast Bears and Ipswich Jets an NRL licence as long as they merged with the Balmain Tigers, North Sydney Bears and Newtown Jets. I would then offer a financial incentive and guaranteed place in the league moving forward if they relocated to SEQ and played 100% of their Premiership matches in SEQ. All three would probably take the deal to keep their brands alive in the NRL.

Of the new clubs Brisbane Tigers jersey and logo would be pretty straight forward to sort out, The Burleigh Bears logo is the old NS Bears logo anyway so easy (their Manly colours would definitely be a sticking point though for both North Sydney and Manly, so they'd probably end up in the Red & Black) and the Ipswich Jets might keep the traditional green and a splash of Newtown blue and tweak the logo slightly.

Pippen94

First Grade
The Tigers are a great club with vision, hopefully they get a shot at the NRL one day. I know they weren't the powerhouse they are today back in the 80's but they would actually be the perfect Brisbane city team if the Broncos didn't exist because of their inner city location, well run club and financial might.

A decent scenario for the game in a Universe where the Broncos didn't exist and expansion of the NRL didn't happen until the 90's could have been Redliffe (North), Brisbane Tigers (central), Gold Coast (Burleigh) Bears(South), Ipswich Jets (West).

This would expand the NRL to SEQ and bring some existing famous QRL brands with it and would help rationalise Sydney without losing some traditional logos and colours because I would offer the Brisbane Tigers, Gold Coast Bears and Ipswich Jets an NRL licence as long as they merged with the Balmain Tigers, North Sydney Bears and Newtown Jets. I would then offer a financial incentive and guaranteed place in the league moving forward if they relocated to SEQ and played 100% of their Premiership matches in SEQ. All three would probably take the deal to keep their brands alive in the NRL.

Of the new clubs Brisbane Tigers jersey and logo would be pretty straight forward to sort out, The Burleigh Bears logo is the old NS Bears logo anyway so easy (their Manly colours would definitely be a sticking point though for both North Sydney and Manly, so they'd probably end up in the Red & Black) and the Ipswich Jets might keep the traditional green and a splash of Newtown blue and tweak the logo slightly.

Guess all fans of other brl teams would just go jump huh?!

Pippen94

First Grade
Broncos can grow west, its not too different from dragons moving south to Wollongong, and Cronulla encapsulating that area..
Not having Suncorp used moreso would be a disservice to people of brisbane, (especially since the 17th team is in redcliffe), Ipswich or Springfield is 30 mins west, it could be better to play a few games, not a whole season

That's Melbourne City approach. Putting team in south west is like Wanderers

- SEQ is one of the largest population centres in the country and that will only continue to grow. The game can and should grow with it as other codes will increasingly try and expand into it. RL already has the upper hand and four NRL teams (Broncs, Phins, Tits & Jets) makes it very hard for other codes to get any meaningful sized foothold and will certainly make administrators from other codes think twice about adding additional teams in the region because it will be such an uphill battle (see GWS in Sydney).

I agree we need Adelaide before Brisbane 3, but the latter should be on the list of teams to add at some stage. Ipswich would provide a good geographic spread for four clubs in in SEQ, but they don't have the population or resources to compete with Easts Tigers. I think we're at least 10 or 15 years away from a third Brisbane team being a realistic option, although it could be on the cards if things don't go to plan elsewhere.

For now I'm interested in the three SEQ teams getting their act together and growinf into large brands that suck the life out of the Lions, Reds and Roar.

I'd love to see the Titans draw 18k crowds. The youth on the Gold Coast do support them in large numbers, so give the club another five or ten years and their active fanbase should increase.

When Bellamy retires he needs to be recruited to the Titans to help shape the club from behind the scenes. Bennett could hold a similar role at the Dolphins when he retires from coaching.

That's the smart thing to do.

I think Wests are here to stay as they have a high performance training facility that was recently constructed. Whether they remain the Tigers is the only question. One option might be to merge Bulldogs with Magpies to create a super club covering the southwest. Bulldogs don't have a high performance training facility or suitable home ground. Only problem with that sort of merger is AwFuL have the Western Bulldogs, so there might be copyright issues.

I do think the Tigers' "brand" should go to the Easts Tigers. Brisbane Tigers have more potential than the Wests Tigers to generate 25k attendances and pull $20M from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, ticketing and membership. Combining Wests and Canterbury could create an Penrith-style club that uses gaming revenue to invest in property, plant and equipment.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
I agree we need Adelaide before Brisbane 3, but the latter should be on the list of teams to add at some stage. Ipswich would provide a good geographic spread for four clubs in in SEQ, but they don't have the population or resources to compete with Easts Tigers. I think we're at least 10 or 15 years away from a third Brisbane team being a realistic option, although it could be on the cards if things don't go to plan elsewhere.

For now I'm interested in the three SEQ teams getting their act together and growinf into large brands that suck the life out of the Lions, Reds and Roar.

I'd love to see the Titans draw 18k crowds. The youth on the Gold Coast do support them in large numbers, so give the club another five or ten years and their active fanbase should increase.

When Bellamy retires he needs to be recruited to the Titans to help shape the club from behind the scenes. Bennett could hold a similar role at the Dolphins when he retires from coaching.

That's the smart thing to do.

I think Wests are here to stay as they have a high performance training facility that was recently constructed. Whether they remain the Tigers is the only question. One option might be to merge Bulldogs with Magpies to create a super club covering the southwest. Bulldogs don't have a high performance training facility or suitable home ground. Only problem with that sort of merger is AwFuL have the Western Bulldogs, so there might be copyright issues.

I do think the Tigers' "brand" should go to the Easts Tigers. Brisbane Tigers have more potential than the Wests Tigers to generate 25k attendances and pull $20M from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, ticketing and membership. Combining Wests and Canterbury could create an Penrith-style club that uses gaming revenue to invest in property, plant and equipment.

NRL will lose south west like they did North Sydney. Inner City Brisbane team offers nothing cause there's already one.

mongoose

Coach
Where do they play?!
yes they play in a central location as that is the most suitable location for fans all over the metropolitan area to attend. The Broncos don't represent the inner city of Brisbane, nor are their fans all living in the inner city. This is Sydney mentality.