What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The MMA Thread

Valheru

Coach
Lmfao… it’s actually not about height and reach at all… 😂😂

His loss at LHW was about weight more than anything… against Jan he was outweighed by about 30lbs on the night because his team arrogantly thought they could fight at his MW frame like he did when he fought at LHW and HW in Kickboxing and Boxing.

I’m pretty sure if he goes up properly and builds up to LHW properly he will win the title at LHW and can even beat some of the top HW’s.

Height and reach certainly play a part but it’s only a small part… it’s really his ability to use feints and continuously switch stances which causes continuous changing of angles that cause fighters to absolutely freeze up when they fight him.

CKB under Eugene and Doug Viney have developed that striking style through years and years of kickboxing around the world and Izzy is one of the absolute best at it.

everything they do is built off the feints…

Volk and Joe Lopez came across them working with Tiger Muay Thai awhile ago and ended up moving their striking over to CKB.

I actually think Brad Riddell(who lost earlier in the night) is Volk’s striking coach and has been before Riddell even debuted in the UFC… 😂😂

But Volk is shorter and has less reach than most of his opponents yet he does exactly the same thing… it’s not about height and reach…

Izzy just easily dominates anyone who isn’t good enough to strike with him… same thing Floyd did…
Height and reach are significant advantages for him at MW, I don't know why you see that as controversial in any way. Cannoneir, Whitaker, Vettori, Gastelum, Romero, Brunson are all 10+cm shorter than him. The only one within 5cm of his height was SIlva who let's face it was well past his prime when they fought. Izzy is blessed with the frame he has being all bone and gristle that he can make MW easily when someone of his height would usually be in LHW or HW.

He definitely uses feints, variable offence and switching stances to his clear advantage but that all starts and ends with being able to maintain the distance.

I don't believe he will amount to anything at LHW because I don't believe he has knockout power there. He will also be fighting people more his own height and if he gains weight as you suggest he will naturally be slower than he is now albeit probably still a quick LHW. Jan beat him easily and is hardly an all time great in the division.

shiznit

Coach
Height and reach are significant advantages for him at MW, I don't know why you see that as controversial in any way. Cannoneir, Whitaker, Vettori, Gastelum, Romero, Brunson are all 10+cm shorter than him. The only one within 5cm of his height was SIlva who let's face it was well past his prime when they fought. Izzy is blessed with the frame he has being all bone and gristle that he can make MW easily when someone of his height would usually be in LHW or HW.

He definitely uses feints, variable offence and switching stances to his clear advantage but that all starts and ends with being able to maintain the distance.

I don't believe he will amount to anything at LHW because I don't believe he has knockout power there. He will also be fighting people more his own height and if he gains weight as you suggest he will naturally be slower than he is now albeit probably still a quick LHW. Jan beat him easily and is hardly an all time great in the division.
Lmfao… there was so much casualness in that post I don’t even know where to start…

I don’t know how to debate this without sounding condescending or mean… I’m not sure you understand how it all tie’s together….

I’ll just say… height and reach definitely help… but if it was truly as big of an advantage as you make out… Volk wouldn’t be doing what he’s doing.

Izzy is still winning these fights with absolute ease and dominating them… his mouth has quite rightly caused him to cop some strays… but don’t lose sight of the fact he’s the best most fluid striker in the game.

And he can definitely can knock out LHW’s and even HW’s… as he’s done it in Kickboxing.

The Jan fight was a mistake by his team… When they go up again next they will go up properly… I wouldn’t go judging too much off that… the striking was super close… it came down to Jan controlling him on the ground in the last two rounds… Jan outweighed him by 30lbs on the night… I think they learnt there lesson.

Valheru

Coach
In the biggest comeback in MMA that I can ever remember, Leon Edwards has knocked out Kamaru Usman with a minute to go in the 5th round after getting completely outclassed for the first 24 minutes if the fight. Quite unbelievable.

A kick to the head had usman out cold.

Volk now officially number 1 P4P

Gee that achievement isn't getting as much press in Australia as it should.
Aus media care very little about UFC. The Sunday news on the day Volk beat Max, they showed some shit about a boxing match that an Aussie was in, but nothing about the greatest fighter in the world. Insane.

Valheru

Coach
Well UFC are getting what they deserve with UFC 279 after trying make people pay for a ahit house card.

First the presser gets cancelled due to a fight and now chimaev flippantly misses weight.

What a debacle.

Wizardman

First Grade
Well UFC are getting what they deserve with UFC 279 after trying make people pay for a ahit house card.

First the presser gets cancelled due to a fight and now chimaev flippantly misses weight.

What a debacle.
Dana gets a lot right in regard to how he runs the UFC. But, his last two weekends have not turned out to be the best.

Last weekend's fight night in Paris absolutely pissed on the the ppv that happened today. The Paris fight card always looked a higher standard and more competitive than today.

To top it all off, the main card was COMPLETELY changed from the one they promoted all along. Im not sure how that passes muster.

Holland v Chimaev was NEVER going to be competitive. I placed a safe bet Chimaev winning in round one. It looked like a Cowboy rounding up a calf. Chimaev may be a complete asshole but he is ready for a shot at Edwards or Usman.

Fergo v Diaz. Both need to ride off into the sunset. In no way should that fight have been a main event type fight.

A poor fortnight for Dana and the UFC.

shiznit

Coach
I’ll just say the Nate is a motherf**kin G!

I love that the UFC tried to send him out on a L by feeding him to Chimaev… and Nate ended up getting to ride off into the sunset with a nice W and can now have his boxing fight with Jake Paul…

Valheru

Coach
Dana gets a lot right in regard to how he runs the UFC. But, his last two weekends have not turned out to be the best.

Last weekend's fight night in Paris absolutely pissed on the the ppv that happened today. The Paris fight card always looked a higher standard and more competitive than today.

To top it all off, the main card was COMPLETELY changed from the one they promoted all along. Im not sure how that passes muster.

Holland v Chimaev was NEVER going to be competitive. I placed a safe bet Chimaev winning in round one. It looked like a Cowboy rounding up a calf. Chimaev may be a complete asshole but he is ready for a shot at Edwards or Usman.

Fergo v Diaz. Both need to ride off into the sunset. In no way should that fight have been a main event type fight.

A poor fortnight for Dana and the UFC.

Look at the upcoming abu dhabi and MSG cards compared to the one yesterday. It is night and day.

Wizardman

First Grade
Look at the upcoming abu dhabi and MSG cards compared to the one yesterday. It is night and day.
I get the feeling Dana knew he stuffed up too.
I am not a conspiracy theorist by any means....but gee, it did look like Chimaev got a nod and a wink from the boss to be way over the weight limit. The fact that Chimaev got his full pay and an easier fight instead of him being penalized for being way over the weight limit does not pass the pub test for me.

shiznit

Coach
Islam now the new LW champ…

Looks like the Main event for Perth will be Islam vs Volk for the LW title with Co-Main Rob vs Costa for the winner of Izzy vs Pereira.

I’m thinking if I can make it work with my leave I might go over for it.

Wizardman

First Grade
Islam now the new LW champ…

Looks like the Main event for Perth will be Islam vs Volk for the LW title with Co-Main Rob vs Costa for the winner of Izzy vs Pereira.

I’m thinking if I can make it work with my leave I might go over for it.
Rob AND Volk fighing. Im REALLY considering going to this. Volk will have his hands full but this is such a great card already.

shiznit

Coach
Rob AND Volk fighing. Im REALLY considering going to this. Volk will have his hands full but this is such a great card already.
I’d say all the crew at CKB like Hooker, Kai, Tyson Pedro, Riddell, Ulberg etc… will probably target it apart from Izzy if he is still the champ.
Then you have all the Aussie boys like Jake Matthews & Tai… and even Rose Clarke…

I reckon that’s gonna be a banging card…

Jono078

Referee
Anyone give Volk a chance against Islam?

That fight terrifies me for him. If he pulls it off though he’s entering goat status. Islam has solidified himself as Khabib v2 so any victory over him will be huge for whoever accomplishes it.

shiznit

Coach
Anyone give Volk a chance against Islam?

That fight terrifies me for him. If he pulls it off though he’s entering goat status. Islam has solidified himself as Khabib v2 so any victory over him will be huge for whoever accomplishes it.
People are writing off Volk already…

I think that’s crazy… I fully believe he can do it. I think between Joe and Eugene they will have a game plan ready for Alex.

honestly… I could see Alex speed and technique being too much for Islam… those feigns and footwork that Alex and Izzy use are something Islam has never seen… people think that because Islam is taller he’s just going to steamroll him… But i think Alex height actually works for his wrestling as he has a stocky build and he has incredible natural strength which makes it really tough to get under him and take him down and hold him down.

Then you have his gas tank…

My completely biased early prediction is that Alex defends a few early takedowns and may even get taken down before he gets straight back up and then starts to frustrate him by schooling him with leg kicks and counter punching on the feet for the first 3 rounds… then towards the end of the fight Islam will start to tire and Volk will actually take him down and beat on him.

I reckon 5-0 or 4-1 UD to Volk… who IMO will become the greatest fighter in Australian history…

Jono078

Referee
I hope you're right and I can totally see your points playing out but I also think it's a supremely optimistic view.

But that's why they do this, so we can have these questions answered. Can't wait!

Valheru

Coach
People are writing off Volk already…

I think that’s crazy… I fully believe he can do it. I think between Joe and Eugene they will have a game plan ready for Alex.

honestly… I could see Alex speed and technique being too much for Islam… those feigns and footwork that Alex and Izzy use are something Islam has never seen… people think that because Islam is taller he’s just going to steamroll him… But i think Alex height actually works for his wrestling as he has a stocky build and he has incredible natural strength which makes it really tough to get under him and take him down and hold him down.

Then you have his gas tank…

My completely biased early prediction is that Alex defends a few early takedowns and may even get taken down before he gets straight back up and then starts to frustrate him by schooling him with leg kicks and counter punching on the feet for the first 3 rounds… then towards the end of the fight Islam will start to tire and Volk will actually take him down and beat on him.

I reckon 5-0 or 4-1 UD to Volk… who IMO will become the greatest fighter in Australian history…
I'm a huge Volk fan but unless this goes exactly how you described above I fear for him.

If he does get taken down he needs to get right up otherwise he gets submitted. Surviving Ortega based on will power is one thing but surviving Islam is quite another.

If he can keep it on the feet then I give him every chance.

Valheru

Coach
On another note, it has to be said that UFC is really delivering over the next 5 months with banger after banger including the first 3 PPVs of 2023 outside of the USA.

All of the below are either confirmed or heavily rumored the next 5 PPVs

Izzy/Perreira
Esparza/Weilli
Poirier/Chandler
Jiri/Texeira 2
Blachowiz/Ankalaev
Figueiredo/Moreno 4
Islam/Volk
Whittaker/Costa
Edwards/Usman 2
Covington/Khimaev (5 rounds)

I expect at least one of Schevchenko or Nunes to defend on one of those shows as well, specifically the December Vegas show where the UFC have refused to name Jiri/Texeira as the main event at this stage.

Latest posts