What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The MMA Thread

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Tai’s eventual problem will be that no matter how hard his head is, it’s not going to save him from Ngannou’s ridiculous power and reach. But damn he took some shots from Lewis in that fight and kept going.

re the main event, much better showing from Rob this time, I think he bought all he could to the fight. But at the end of the day Izzy is just a phenomenal fighter who has too much reach, soeed, accuracy and smarts to be heated by someone with Rob’s skill set. He basically won the fight with that first round then fought smart and did enough to keep himself out of trouble. The rest of the rounds were close but Izzy never really looked in any trouble, every time he went for the takedown you knew Izzy would just be straight to the cage and back on his feet in seconds.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't think you can say he won, it was a competitive fight though.

IMO round 2 has to go to Rob, that was the closest of the rounds and you reward the takedown when picking a winner there. Round 1 was clearly Izzy and round 5 clearly Rob. Rounds 3 and 4 were close but Izzy was the more effective and efficient.
I know numbers don’t tell the full story but statistically round 4 was Rob’s best- he hit 1 from 1 takedowns and actually hit more significant strokes than Izzy, although it was only by 1 at 15-16. Izzy got more in every other round but round 5 was close enough that when you add the takedown Rob probably took that one too. Izzy just landed too many shots in 1-3 not to take those though, he was 25% ahead minimum in those rounds.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Whittaker has done 10 rounds with Yoel Romero… and Yoel who was actually doing something unlike when he fought Izzy.

Yoel’s wrestling is better than Khamzat’s…
This is where I disagree, to an extent. Yes Yoel was an olympian but he never really used his wrestling in MMA. Khamzat has that suffocating wrestling style like Khabib and will grapple on the ground and look to punish and advance. Yoel never did that.

Valheru

Coach
We'll never know but I truely think Alex would have gave Khabib issues

Alex is a fairly small (height wise) FW whereas Max is a very tall FW. Max kind of got beat up a bit at LW so I don't think Alex would be top 5 in that division.

Alex has the height of a BW. I doubt his stocky body shape would allow a safe weight cut but if it did he would be a beast there.

Valheru

Coach
Anyone watch the Colby/Masvidal fight

Complete dominance by Colby and Masvidal seemed to buy in to the act and was beaten before the fight started.

Colby is doing the right thing now, calling out guys like Dustin and pledging to keep busy. He knows he won't get another shot against Usman for a year or two. If I were him I would avoid the Chimaev fight at all costs, not because I don't think I can win but because him winning the title from Usman is my quickest road back to a title opportunity. It's win/win if Chimaev loses because then he is out of the conversation.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Anyone watch the Colby/Masvidal fight

Complete dominance by Colby and Masvidal seemed to buy in to the act and was beaten before the fight started.

Colby is doing the right thing now, calling out guys like Dustin and pledging to keep busy. He knows he won't get another shot against Usman for a year or two. If I were him I would avoid the Chimaev fight at all costs, not because I don't think I can win but because him winning the title from Usman is my quickest road back to a title opportunity. It's win/win if Chimaev loses because then he is out of the conversation.
Colby is good but will never be champ imo

shiznit

Coach
Rob apparently looking at going back down to WW…

I wouldn’t mind seeing him match up with Colby and even Usman… he would present a challenge for Usman as he does for all wrestlers…

Smug Panther

First Grade
Rob apparently looking at going back down to WW…

I wouldn’t mind seeing him match up with Colby and even Usman… he would present a challenge for Usman as he does for all wrestlers…
I think people misread Rob's comment. Was something along the lines of "skinny Rob is back earlier than expected" I think he's just going to fight Vettori soon

shiznit

Coach
I think people misread Rob's comment. Was something along the lines of "skinny Rob is back earlier than expected" I think he's just going to fight Vettori soon
Ohhh shit lol… I didn’t actually see the comment only the reaction of everyone on Twitter…

that sucks then… I reckon he’d be a hell of an addition to WW… so long as he’s feeling healthy enough to go down.

i thought he might be thinking the same as Dan Hooker who’s going back down to FW as apparently science behind weight cutting these days is so much better and you aren’t killing yourself like you used to.

Jono078

Referee
I agree I'd like to see him try WW again, he's a lot smarter and has better resources around him compared to when he was an up and comer in his younger days.

But he was actually speaking about a run at LHW.. Which I don't think is a great idea. Middleweight has just about been perfect for him. Would love to see what he can do against Colby and Usman. I like his chances in fact.

Valheru

Coach
UFC 273 was entertaining

Comments on the top 3 fights

The Burns/Chimaev fight was sensational and I thought Burns could easily have been given the last round and I reckon Chimaev was close to done at the end of the 2nd round but was saved by the buzzer. Chimaev is definitely a top 5 guy but is aura has disappeared after that IMO. I doubt he beats Usman or Colby at this point and one of them (or Leon Edwards) will be his next opponent. I don't think Colby takes the fight because why would he? Colby ain't getting another shot at Usman any time soon so he needs Usman to lose and if Chimaev (or Edwards for that matter) get the job done then Colby gets his shot.

The Sterling/Yan fight was a bit boring and I'm not sure the judges got it right. It was a split decision so that will always garner debate. Sterling dominated rounds 2 and 3 and Yan was the clear winner of rounds 4 and 5. For me Yan edged round 1 but two of the judges disagreed. The difference from the first fight was Sterling was able to get Yan's back twice and dominate the grapple from there. In the stand up Yan was still better but not as dominant as the first fight. I actually had the fight a 47-47 draw as Sterling earned a 10-8 in the 2nd IMO.

The main event was the definition of domination. Volk looked next level and Zombie had absolutely no answer for it. I can't say I am surprised because I remember what Volk did to Ortega and in turn I remember what Ortega did to Zombie in October 2020 in a dominant unanimous decision. There are levels to this game and as far as the featherweight division goes it is Volk, Max, daylight, Ortega, daylight, the rest until someone proves otherwise. Volk continuously tagged him with heavy hits with Zombie not being able to handle the hand speed and taking him down when he felt like it too. It was sad to watch at times as Zombie was completely outclassed and took unnecessary damage from the 3rd round onward. One thing boxing does better than MMA is the corners use the towels more often and save their fighters. All respect to Zombie for trying to tough it out but his corner should have thrown in the towel midway through round 3 and it is an absolute disgrace that they let him continue beyond round 3. Herb Dean couldn't wait for an opportunity to stop it and thankfully he did because Zombie has a hard chin and probably would have gutted it out to the end.

Interesting to see what they do at FW form here. Max is the obvious one and there is every chance he eeks out a decision as those fights will always be close but we can't just have them fight perpetually. Yair will probably get his chance at some point and whoever survives out of the inevitable fights between Allen, Emmett, Chikadze and Mitchell will be after that. Ultimately Volk, Max or both will move up to LW IMO. I reckon Max will do it first as Volk probably likes the idea of running through the names I mentioned before moving up.

Wizardman

First Grade
Volk is p4P best in the sport and the best FW ever. What a f**king stud
Kamaru Usman says hi! In saing that, Volk is definitely one of the best pound for pound fighters out there. He is actually improving with every fight (Usman seems to be too btw).

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Volk is ranked number 3 P4P at the moment but we will see if he improves to number 2 when the new rankings are released. For me he is clearly above Adesanya due to the latters clear loss when he went up to LWH.

Volk and Usman actually have a pretty similar resume.

Both only the one loss outside of UFC early in their careers, both beat an all time great in the division for the title, both beaten the number 1 ranked contender twice, both defended against the number 2 contender, both defended against another top 10 contender. Usman probably edges Volk with 5 defences opposed to 3 at the moment but there isn't much in it.

Jono078

Referee
I couldn't believe how quiet the crowd were during his fight yesterday. Volk put on a masterclass and as usual, he wasn't really appreciated.

It feels the Yanks think Holloway beat him twice therefore they refuse to acknowledge him.

Volk has to fight Holloway and win with more authority it seems.

Latest posts