What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most overrated player at your own club - current & all-time

mongoose

Coach
Like the most overrated player thread but this time name who you think is the most overrated current player in your team and the most overrated all-time player for your team.

For current player and I will probably get slammed by Raiders fans but its Wighton - Just because he's our marquee player but not enough quality games in the last 2 years to justify his salary. He is still making too many dumb plays that he was making when he first started in the halves - probably cause he's dumb.

For all-time Raider It's BYC (Jarrod Croker)... I am not a BYC hater like a few fans are, he is one of the greatest chasers of attacking kicks I've ever seen. He is more skillful than he's given credit for but he's always had a lot of downsides to his game. He frequently gets dominated in tackles and has had defensive issues his whole career. Would have looked out of place in an origin jersey.

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
Currently probably Liam Martin. He does rip in but he's only playing Origin because he plays for Penrith.

All time Petero Civoniceva was getting rep halfback money to play prop.
Trent Waterhouse would be another option. He peaked super early and continued to make rep sides for years longer than he should have.

gUt

Coach
I'm not sure we really have any overrated players at the moment. It's tempting to say Payne Haas but then you remember he was our only good player for a couple of seasons there. Kotoni Staggs I guess.

All time nominee for mine would be Karmichael Hunt.

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers - i vote Crichton. He's the only one I feel is getting overs compared to what he delivers.

Though after 3x grand finals and back to back premierships he's hardly a bad player or close to it.

To be fair i have been dirty on him since he agreed to a $500k deal but then wanted more.i honestly thought $500k was overs at the time and that he's only worth that now still. He hasn't kicked on and gone to another level.

As for most overrated of all time. Gotta give that to Luke Walsh. Bloke refused to put his body on the line. Halves are generally accepted as defensive liabilities. But he wouldn't tackle or run the ball.

Iamback

Coach
Panthers - i vote Crichton. He's the only one I feel is getting overs compared to what he delivers.

Though after 3x grand finals and back to back premierships he's hardly a bad player or close to it.

To be fair i have been dirty on him since he agreed to a $500k deal but then wanted more.i honestly thought $500k was overs at the time and that he's only worth that now still. He hasn't kicked on and gone to another level.

Martin is the one

Solid FGer at best, Not worth the elite money he wants

Iamback

Coach
Looks more the part in rep jerseys than Crichton has. He's also on a lot less than Crichton... And his elite money he wants is only what Crichton agreed to after less than a full season of first grade before deciding he was worth more.

Except for the games when the NSW pack went missing?

As for Crichton overpaid, He is on less than all those others mentioned in the other over rated hack thread. Including Lomax

Now - Will Kennedy, has some good parts to his game his positioning and tackling is ordinary and general involvement can be quite low.

Overall - Chad Townsend, more for the media love he gets which has quadrupled up at Townsville.

Vic Mackey

Referee
For Tigers, Pat Richards.

Admittedly he spent the prime of his career in Wigan (age 24-31) however he had 4 seasons at the club and all bar the 8 weeks of the 2005 run were pretty shit.

Tigers fans talk about the guy like he was Greg Inglis but it’s all through the romance of the 05 try by or mine. Seriously take away the GF try and his boot in the 14/15 seasons (which was more a gimmick then anything) and the bloke was fairly plod.

Right now: Nofoaluma - decent winger attacking wise, but nothing special. Is the master of the run 20m across field whilst only gaining 5. Defensively is not first grade quality. A decent player, but no where near as good as many make him out to be.

all time: Heighington - again a decent player but should have never been near an origin team. Made a lot of runs per game but 10 of these were runs straight into the markers for minimal yardage. Barely got over the advantage line or broke tackles.

Fangs

Coach
Former Man of Steel Zac Hardaker.

Brodie Croft will be back here soon enough with his shiny metallic Oscar too.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Looks more the part in rep jerseys than Crichton has. He's also on a lot less than Crichton... And his elite money he wants is only what Crichton agreed to after less than a full season of first grade before deciding he was worth more.

Whilst I agree Re Crichton being over rated, wasnt the story that the Panthers made the deal directly with him when he didnt even have a manager? To me thats pretty poor on their part.

I dont get the hate L Martin gets, I think he's a really good player.

Vic Mackey

Referee
all time: Heighington - again a decent player but should have never been near an origin team. Made a lot of runs per game but 10 of these were runs straight into the markers for minimal yardage. Barely got over the advantage line or broke tackles.

I still remember Round 1 in 2009 or 2010. Fourth tackle of the game Farah jumps out and turns the ball inside to Heighno who made 4ms running into the marker. A bloke behind me yelled 'FFS another year of this shit' 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Vee

betcats

Referee
Whilst I agree Re Crichton being over rated, wasnt the story that the Panthers made the deal directly with him when he didnt even have a manager? To me thats pretty poor on their part.

I dont get the hate L Martin gets, I think he's a really good player.

Yeah he was changing managers so they spoke to him before he had parted ways with his old manager and agreed to a deal. The new manager comes in and convinces him to test the market and get best deal he could out of Penrith. Personally it doesn't bother me, if a player changes his manager it seems likely any previous unsigned agreements might not be held to and I find it hard to hold it against a player for doing what is best for them financially. Its a business, Ivan broke a contract to come back to Penrith when the chance presented itself, this seems a lot more egregious than a 20 year old breaking a handshake agreement after changing his manager.

Latest posts