What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The_Wookie

Bench
I've been watching the games every week for 30 years. Games played during the middle of the season have some of the lowest attendances.

You wouldn't know though as you're not a rugby league fan who watches every game.

Literally nothing to do with this. Broadcasters wont find addtional value in cutting the season by a third. I dont care how much youve watched, thats a simple fact - and one that doesnt require you to watch every damn game to know.

I didn't say it's likely to happen. It's my opinion in what I believe is best for player welfare and fan interest.

And yet youve argued abouit it for several posts now for some reason.

I already said the broadcast rights and gate receipts will take a hit if the season is reduced, so WTF are you on about with your baseless assertions?

Did you? Beause you wrote this four of your posts back

From a viewer's perspective the season drags on too long and becomes boring. Shortening the season will make the matches more exciting and offer better value to the broadcasters and sponsors.

or is there another one of you about.

I'm under no illusion that we'll get the same pay as we do now by reducing season, so piss off with your misrepresentation of my position. You're just looking to troll and argue for the sake of it.

You certainly wrote that it would "offer better value"

One of us is trolling this thread, I dont think its me, and i certainly havent misrepresented you.

Plenty of other posters on here bring up fumbleball way more than I do. I usually only talk about it when responding to some one else who brought it up.

Not in the threads Ive been in.
Obviously you and @The_Wookie are so stupid you cannot follow a discussion without misinterpreting what's said.

You should write your posts better then.

I can understand him not knowing about Tests as he's a fumbleball fan, but what's your excuse?

lol yes because Tests are something I know nothing about and all. christ.

MugaB

Coach
Literally nothing to do with this. Broadcasters wont find addtional value in cutting the season by a third. I dont care how much youve watched, thats a simple fact - and one that doesnt require you to watch every damn game to know.

One of us is trolling this thread, I dont think its me, and i certainly havent misrepresented you.

Your wasting your time, grotd is a class A cretin... once he has an idea (see logan or singapore, rationalization etc) that just gets regurgitated on every thread ad nauseam, where ever he thinks will get any traction... he is the ultimate troll... has half the posters on here on ignore to him, and probably has a few alts... but i doubt it he aint that smart..
Dont worry you'll end up on ignore, purely coz youve upset his mindset

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Do they though. By my count they are up 1

NRL - Melb, Syd, Bris, Canberra. (plus 1 game a year in Darwin, sometimes a game in Perth, the odd game in Wellington)
AFL - Melb, Syd, Bris, Adel, Perth (plus 1 game a year in Darwin, 3 games year in Hobart)
Incorrect Auckland is also a capital city, NRL is even stevens...
Nobody mentioned only in Australia

MugaB

Coach
Teams fall to pieces when their spine players are unavailable because there's not enough depth to cover these positions. Look at the Cowboys vs Panthers game from Rd 25 when Penrith rested the bulk of their team, including their entire spine.
Mate we ran out our Nsw Cup side, and as it ended up, we went back2back GFs, did the cows run out their Qcup side or the fringe/lower half of the cows roster?, ...nope!

well maybe next time they plan the finals run better, and not waste your roster on a last round match that meant nothing, maybe then you might have had the energy to go that one step further, instead of getting owned by pawwa

I don't give a f**k what the broadcasters want. We need to do what's best for rugby league. If that means taking less money for a shorter season then so be it.

I'm responding to your personal attacks to set the record straight.

Read it again until you've understood my point and stop taking everything out of context.

It's better to have a shorter season consisting of matches that pull strong crowds and ratings from start to finish than one that goes on forever and becomes stale. The Big Bash League have found out that drifting on for too long was a massive mistake.

Spin it however you want, but there's no doubt that the middle third of the season is marred by Origin taking centre stage and impacting onfield results. Fans don't look forward to attending a match when their team's Origin players are absent. It's often a guaranteed loss for their team and a dour encounter. Nor do they particularly enjoy watching it on TV for the aforementioned reasons. That's the point I was making about a shorter season with a dedicated window for Origin and Tests providing better value for the broadcasters and fans.

Which game will draw more viewers and a higher attendance?

A) A match between two full strength teams with the focus on the NRL?

OR

B) A game played during the middle of the season, with all focus in the media on Origin, and teams depleted because their Origin players are absent or banged up?

I know which one will draw better ratings and attendances. Sponsors want people watching the team they've invested in. Broadcasters also want the same things because more eyeballs equal more money from advertising. So yeah, I stand by my claim that 16 rounds of full strength NRL teams competing against one another will generate better ratings and attendances than the mess we have at the moment.

Your game can afford to have a 22 round season as you don't have any representative matches. Our game has Origin and Tests and if we properly accommodated them in a 16 round NRL season then we would still be playing over a longer period than AwFuL.

Why do you think your game pulled Origin from its season over 20 years ago?

Because of player welfare and the impact it had on clubs. Origin would have made money for AwFuL, but it chose to forfeit it for the good of the clubs and players.

Yes you have. You've taken my comments out of context by focusing on one or two words and ignoring the overall message.

Bullshit. The only threads you participate in are the ones that involve V'landys and broadcast rights. You're going to get discussion about AwFuL in this thread and the ones on broadcast rights for obvious reasons.

Like that post of yours where you listed games and attendances without mentioning when they happened?

Your response was "open your eyes". Maybe you should practice what you preach.

I've never seen you talk about them in the threads I've read. You totally ignored them when I suggested reducing the NRL season to accommodate Origin and Tests.

Last edited:
Here's my original post on the subject @The_Wookie keeps flogging to death.

We should be looking at reducing the season to 16 or 18 rounds. Origin and Tests to be played at the end of the season. Stuff the broadcasters and work on drawing more revenue from gate receipts and memberships. Create a longer off-season break before pre-season training starts so players can rest.

At no stage in this post did I say we'll get the same money for a 16-18 round NRL competition as we do today. I spoke briefly about a dedicated window at the end of the season for Origin and Tests, which would eventually earn decent coin and expand our fanbase across the Pacific. This model will generate fans and revenue in new markets. Over time it would strengthen the talent pool significantly.

Fans don't have to worry about Origin marring the fortunes of their team. Over time it'll make the NRL just as valuable as Origin as there will be no interruption mid-season. The current system devalues the NRL to the point it's an afterthought during the middle of the season.

Comedy at its best .
I didn’t say that .
Wookie gives 2 examples where you did say that.
I didn’t mean that ….

you should be a politician .
you have the doublespeak deny deny bullshit down pat .

Colk

First Grade
In defence of GROTD even if you don’t believe in reducing the season (I don’t particularly agree to 16 or 18 rounds for the record) what occurs when you add an 18th or even a 19th team and a 20th team and so on and so forth?

The season is now going to be now 27 weeks long plus finals plus rep fixtures. That’s a very long season getting towards more than 9 months. For a high contact sport like League, I don’t see how you can squeeze much more out of the lemon.

Also, another thing to consider, you can always have too much of something. Cricket is a current example of having too much content and fluff, where people are tuning off on certain formats or competitions - see the recent ODI series against England (which was hard to work out why it was on). There are other examples you can throw in wherein there is arguably too much content to the point where an individual match seems to have little meaning in a wider context.

Maximus

Coach
In defence of GROTD even if you don’t believe in reducing the season (I don’t particularly agree to 16 or 18 rounds for the record) what occurs when you add an 18th or even a 19th team and a 20th team and so on and so forth?

The season is now going to be now 27 weeks long plus finals plus rep fixtures. That’s a very long season getting towards more than 9 months. For a high contact sport like League, I don’t see how you can squeeze much more out of the lemon.

Also, another thing to consider, you can always have too much of something. Cricket is a current example of having too much content and fluff, where people are tuning off on certain formats or competitions - see the recent ODI series against England (which was hard to work out why it was on). There are other examples you can throw in wherein there is arguably too much content to the point where an individual match seems to have little meaning in a wider context.

Not much point in posting common sense like this in this thread. Your name isn't Get Rid of The Donkeys or Perth Red and therefore you aren't an easy punching bag, so most people will just ignore it since it doesn't suit their agenda.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally I’d be setting a goal for 20 cLubs, 21 game regular season. Play everyone once, rotating annually home and away and 2 magic weekends. One in Oz and one in NZ.
3 week mid season break for rep games. origin mens and womens plus 4 test matches A weekend.
that’s a 24 week regular season, ten games week plus 6 on rep weekends. content is actually more than now and less stress and fatigue on players. No bs compromised league table due to origin and irregular fixtures. Leaves room for proper test calendar in oct/nov.

No that any of the bs on here has anything to do with pistol Pete lol

Wb1234

Referee

If you add teams and play less rounds it sort of a wash in terms of increase in broadcast revenue

maybe a slight gain

Colk

First Grade
If you add teams and play less rounds it sort of a wash in terms of increase in broadcast revenue

maybe a slight gain

To a point but it goes to a wider argument about what you make prominent and how many rounds you want to play. For example, it is not like you couldn’t exchange the number of competition rounds for rep games or even a longer final series.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
To a point but it goes to a wider argument about why you make prominent and how many rounds you want to play. For example, it is not like you couldn’t exchange the number of competition rounds other that of rep games or even a longer final series.
The nrl season is way too long

having said that it’s never going to get cut because of financial concerns

lower broadcast revenue and less home games for clubs to sell

what’s the big deal ? The good clubs pace themselves during origin

and me personally after origin I don’t watch as many games until the semis roll around

Rugby league is probably more brutal than any other sport. The only comparable sport is American football and they play just sixteen games.

An NBL team plays 28 games per season and the average salary is about $100k, with top players getting up to $1m. NRL teams play 24 games a season and they're only paid about $371k on average with elite players getting a little over $1m, despite putting their bodies through far more arduous activity that causes far more long-term damage. If good basketballer can earn more by playing in Europe or America. An elite rugby league player is limited to Australia for a big pay day.

Add Origin and Tests and the elite NRL players are playing more than elite NBL players.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

Given the rules players have in place, I don't see more than 24 rounds a side. Whether it becomes offical conferences or not, Teams will play each other once. The rest will be local derbies etc

Colk

First Grade
The nrl season is way too long

having said that it’s never going to get cut because of financial concerns

lower broadcast revenue and less home games for clubs to sell

what’s the big deal ? The good clubs pace themselves during origin

and me personally after origin I don’t watch as many games until the semis roll around

That is partially the point. The season kind of loses momentum to a degree.

I agree it is not going to be reduced but in saying that I don’t think it should be extended any further.

Colk

First Grade
Given the rules players have in place, I don't see more than 24 rounds a side. Whether it becomes offical conferences or not, Teams will play each other once. The rest will be local derbies etc

I think 22 would be a good number if we ever get to 20 sides (not that I think it will happen btw) You would still have more games than what you are selling now and it still gives you more room for a dedicated rep period and/or extended final series.

Last edited: