What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia won't win 2022 WC

The Great Dane

First Grade
I was in the midst of writing a thorough reply to your post (I even multi quoted- you’re welcome), but I realised that we disagree on a fundamental premise - that a nation needs to aspire to be culturally homogenous in order to prosper.

I simply don’t agree.

As Tino said in the article that you posted: “I'm just as proud of both countries and both nationalities”
I don't think that, nor did I present that premise in my post, and the fact that you made the assumption that that was what I was saying from the outset is a large part of the reason why serious issues around these subjects are borderline impossible to openly discuss in polite society, which is another issue in of it's self because you are ceding the argument to radicals whom are quickly becoming the only people willing to discuss it...

SBD82

Coach
I don't think that, nor did I present that premise in my post, and the fact that you made the assumption that that was what I was saying from the outset is a large part of the reason why serious issues around these subjects are borderline impossible to openly discuss in polite society, which is another issue in of it's self because you are ceding the argument to radicals whom are quickly becoming the only people willing to discuss it...
Oh grow up. You’re not being censored. I responded in good faith.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It seems nonsense to think you cant find a balance between heritage and nationality. I'm proud of both and have no conflict in it. I find its more a problem for the people who only see themselves as being from that country (some weird simplistic notion that it has to be all or nothing - remember the 'love it or f**k off' stickers?) than those who identify as multi cultural/national. If people were more accepting that some value their heritage but love and respect where they now live the world would probably be a much nicer place.

England87

Juniors
Don't twist the conversation away from your original statement, which was incorrect as I have pointed out below.

Kotaro Matsushima - South African
Dylan Riley - Australian
Siosaia Fifita - Tongan
Tevita Tatafu - Tongan
Michael Leitch - New Zealander
Jack Cornelsen - Australian
Warner Dearns - New Zealander
Jiwon Gu - Korean
Craig Millar - New Zealander
Faulua Makisi - Tongan
Seungsin Lee - Korean
Gerhard van den Heever - South African

I'm not going to let this go mate.

Matsushima - Japanese mate, went to school in both South Africa & Japan.

Gu - Korean Japanese, raised in Japan

Lee - Korean Japanese, raised in Japan

The Tongans - Citizens & mostly schooled in Japan. I have herd Makisi & Tatufa in interviews and they are fluent Japanese speakers

The others are either Citizens or qualify on residency.

I dont know what 'actually Japanese' means to you but by your logic half the Wallabies & All Blacks would be in the same boat.

Smug Panther

First Grade

The Tongans - Citizens & mostly schooled in Japan. I have herd Makisi & Tatufa in interviews and they are fluent Japanese speakers

I dont know what 'actually Japanese' means to you but by your logic half the Wallabies & All Blacks would be in the same boat.
Yeah the Wannbees are a joke

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I think it's best you let it go, you are making a fool of yourself. South Africans, Koreans, Tongans, Aussies, Kiwis are not Japanese.

Matua

Bench
I think it's best you let it go, you are making a fool of yourself. South Africans, Koreans, Tongans, Aussies, Kiwis are not Japanese.
I don't think you're doing your argument any favours including Matsushima, you then rule out any PI player of mixed heritage from the discussion. Therefore Oregon Kaufusi can't be Samoan, he has a Tongan name and was born in NZ. Tui Lolohea isn't Tongan, has a Pakeha parent and grew up in NZ.

As I said earlier in the thread eligibility is eligibility regardless of how. Is a Samoan player who has never been to the Islands, has one grandparent born on the islands, more "Samoan" than Michael Leitch who has spent the larger part of his life in Japan (and as an adult the only time he is lived out of Japan has been for professional rugby)?

I don't think any team/sport should be throwing stones within their glass houses.