What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

I agree with all the sentiments re incompetence and self interest, but what really makes me angry is being lied to as a member. It was not long ago that Ryan Webb came out and stated more signings would be announced in Novemebr before pre season kicked off....this has not happened. This obviously was just blatant deception to get everyone off their back...the whole lot of them are without integrity!
Or perhaps Webb thought he had some signings in the bag and was gazumped

dungay dragon

Juniors
I agree with all the sentiments re incompetence and self interest, but what really makes me angry is being lied to as a member. It was not long ago that Ryan Webb came out and stated more signings would be announced in Novemebr before pre season kicked off....this has not happened. This obviously was just blatant deception to get everyone off their back...the whole lot of them are without integrity!
TT
the early spec on Webb early appeared promising , but now appears to have settled into Dragon officaldom towing the line of incompetency and ineptitude
We desperately need that premiere signing , particularly a back rower or prop but sadly nothing is happening
Have followed this Club for 55 years and have never seen us in such a rut over the past 8 or so years ...

possm

Coach
Yes you are right qld redvee. Gus is wanting instant success whilst allowing Ciraldo to get the juniors up to speed and be ready in 2024 and beyond I guess. Ciraldo wanted to have a good nursery of youth to work on and I think he will be doing this at the same time of getting the Dogs into the finals next year.

They have a plan. Gus will want success. The big sponsor of the Dogs also wants success.

I wish that we had similar people wanting instant success.
There is no reason why Saints should not have good quality staff on the board and supporting the football club. Our Board members are happy with the way things are. They're comfortable with the deals they have done.

possm

Coach
Don’t understand people still talking about Mary.
He’s long gone, Hook has had two full seasons to put us back on track.
He hasn’t moved the dial north IMO.
Unlike someone like Fitzgibbon, who was able to attract Hynes and then take Sharks from 9th to 2nd in the regular season.
Anyway, enough talking about Hook, he’s a goner, will be retired by round 10.
Yes, but I don't understand why they're sticking with him past the end of 2022. Just a waste of an opportunity to give the new coach the pres-season to turn things around. Maybe even pickup a couple of good forwards.

Gareth67

First Grade
Most clubs go player hunting the season before their chosen objective is due to end his contract ( usually over a cup of coffee where both said player and club offical accidentally run into one another ) .

In short , our mob leave their recruitment too late - far too late , as a result we continue to be disappointed year after year .

I realize that contractural obligations need to be met by a prospective target , as well as our financial situation to buy said player , however - as many have said in the past - our board seem to be incompetent in securing the services of players of quality .

The Dragons required a first rate recruitment officer who truly knows how to wheel and deal so as to bring any negotiations to a successful conclusion .

Dragon David

First Grade
Most clubs go player hunting the season before their chosen objective is due to end his contract ( usually over a cup of coffee where both said player and club offical accidentally run into one another ) .

In short , our mob leave their recruitment too late - far too late , as a result we continue to be disappointed year after year .

I realize that contractural obligations need to be met by a prospective target , as well as our financial situation to buy said player , however - as many have said in the past - our board seem to be incompetent in securing the services of players of quality .

The Dragons required a first rate recruitment officer who truly knows how to wheel and deal so as to bring any negotiations to a successful conclusion .
This is what gets me. Why hasn't anyone, moreso Ryan Webb, come straight out and just let us all know what the plans are? If they have changed their minds and they are not chasing anyone of note now, then just say it. If they are just going to use the guys we have in the lower grades just say it. At least get us out of the dark and into the light so that we know where we are heading! Down the same road as in previous years or up a different road leading to something like a success story. Just let us know.

BLM01

First Grade
This is what gets me. Why hasn't anyone, moreso Ryan Webb, come straight out and just let us all know what the plans are? If they have changed their minds and they are not chasing anyone of note now, then just say it. If they are just going to use the guys we have in the lower grades just say it. At least get us out of the dark and into the light so that we know where we are heading! Down the same road as in previous years or up a different road leading to something like a success story. Just let us know.
But he did months ago, said we are focussing on local juniors and bringing them through and we were not going out yet for big signings
And said we were looking at forwards which we have bought a couple of reserve graders
We may not like the signings but...

Qdf

Juniors

What we really need is to put the broom through our incompetent board. Then with a top coach we may be able to attract some decent players.
Until this happens we are doomed to be cellar dwellers.

qld redvee

Juniors

Gareth,
Once again we had Flanno as list management whose task was to identify where we were weak in the roster and then go hunting for players to fill the void ,, well he failed miserably as we havent landed any real replacements so to me we have just wasted this season for replenishing in 23 .. Lets hope someone in the club decides we need to replace flanno and look at brownys resume and IMMEDIATELY sign him up . then we may see some light at the end of the tunnel .. Lets hope that 1 or 2 train and trialists are first grade ready

possm

Coach
Gareth,
Once again we had Flanno as list management whose task was to identify where we were weak in the roster and then go hunting for players to fill the void ,, well he failed miserably as we havent landed any real replacements so to me we have just wasted this season for replenishing in 23 .. Lets hope someone in the club decides we need to replace flanno and look at brownys resume and IMMEDIATELY sign him up . then we may see some light at the end of the tunnel .. Lets hope that 1 or 2 train and trialists are first grade ready
You are right, Flanno failed but the real question is, who did Flanno report to and why weren't things corrected sooner?

I'd say there is more to this than mentioned by management. To understand the answer to this we only have to look at history in this area over the past 10 years and note all the strange decisions that did not make much sense and in fact turned out to be such poor decisions.

A decision like, Dean Young to be our head coach in 2024, and then follow this up with the extension of Hook until the end of 2023, even though he like Mary before him, performed poorly, smacks of jobs for the boys. Of course, Flanno would have been pissed and maybe so bitter that he just didn't put in.

So, Hook is a fill-in until Dean is ready, and our recruitment is put on hold until 2024 to ensure Young gets off to a good start. This all smacks of decisions not in the best interest of the Club but rather in the best interest of old boy deals that just never end.

I'd like to know are some contracts are being front-ended to make 2024 a much better recruitment year. If so, the Board needs to be held responsible and cleaned out immediately and all other managers involved, be replaced.

Gareth67

First Grade
What we really need is to put the broom through our incompetent board. Then with a top coach we may be able to attract some decent players.
Until this happens we are doomed to be cellar dwellers.
Absolutely agree my friend , then again how many years have we been saying that for ? There has been a number of changes to the board recently and I suppose there is no choice but to wait and see if they are positive .
Gareth,
I believe that Nathan Brown is headed Parramatta way unfortunately , but he would had been just the individual that would had filled that task admiringly .

jak

Bench

sounds like a perfect job for nathan brown

Dragon David

First Grade
But he did months ago, said we are focussing on local juniors and bringing them through and we were not going out yet for big signings
And said we were looking at forwards which we have bought a couple of reserve graders
We may not like the signings but...
Yes fair enough he did. That's the plan then and we have just got to accept it and see how things pan out like we have been for years. Maybe it is a good thing provided the guys running the show know what they are doing. Each year we live in hope and before we know it, it is the end of the season again and hope that the next season will be better, round and round we go.

randomdragon

Juniors
TT
the early spec on Webb early appeared promising , but now appears to have settled into Dragon officaldom towing the line of incompetency and ineptitude
We desperately need that premiere signing , particularly a back rower or prop but sadly nothing is happening
Have followed this Club for 55 years and have never seen us in such a rut over the past 8 or so years ...
Completely disagree.

Latest posts