What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

Iamback

Coach
Nice deflection and derailment by the usual suspects but in light of the recent media about the nrl having to divert more of the games revenue to keep clubs afloat it’s a pertinent discussion to be having,

Not really, As usual the AFL trolls like yourself left out assets.

Take the Sharks, They have a brand new club opening but if needed can sell Shark Park to Developers.

Play out of Allianz and live comfortably off the millions they'd make.

Panthers in 6 months will own 2 hotels, 1 of which they will own the lease too

when they needed funds a few years ago to build the academy.

They leased the hotel out for 99 years. Took $100m

They then got $100m off TAB, For a 5 year advance of pokie revenue. TAB get all the pokie money until I think 2023.

They then had $200m, To build the academy and hold them over until other land sold.

All Sydney clubs have assets they can move if they need too

Nice deflection and derailment by the usual suspects but in light of the recent media about the nrl having to divert more of the games revenue to keep clubs afloat it’s a pertinent discussion to be having,
I've had them on ignore for months. The only way I know they're in the thread is because they liked other people's posts. They're just knuckle dragging morons with a chip on their shoulder and it's best to ignore them.

Looking at these figures I don't see what Sea Eagles and Sharks bring to the table. I have no doubt that teams from Adelaide and Perth could generate more revenue from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, membership and ticketing with the bonus of creating a national profile for the sport that benefits every other club.

We've got Queensland Cup clubs generating more revenue from gaming machines that would offer more to the NRL than the Sharks and Sea Eagles.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Panthers don't keep their pokie revenue... sorry to bring facts into this thread
I don't know any club that does. The licensed club which gets the pokie revenue is a different entity to the football club. The licensed club does give the football club a grant, so the pokie revenue can indicate what sort of money the licensed club might be able to give the football club but by no means is it what the club gets

Iamback

Coach
I don't know any club that does. The licensed club which gets the pokie revenue is a different entity to the football club. The licensed club does give the football club a grant, so the pokie revenue can indicate what sort of money the licensed club might be able to give the football club but by no means is it what the club gets

100%. that is why that table is stupid. Pokie money and assets are good to fall back on

Canard

Immortal
Wouldn't a more nuanced statistic be what "grant" each leagues club gives to their football team?

For example, one of the biggest Leagues Clubs in all of QLD is Cazalys at AFL Park in Cairns, and that sport isn't anywhere near as big as RL in FNQ

Wouldn't a more nuanced statistic be what "grant" each leagues club gives to their football team?

For example, one of the biggest Leagues Clubs in all of QLD is Cazalys at AFL Park in Cairns, and that sport isn't anywhere near as big as RL in FNQ
It's not a Leagues Club if it's attached to a fumble ball club. The proper name is a social club.

100%. that is why that table is stupid. Pokie money and assets are good to fall back on
I took you off ignore to see what shit you've been writing since I see your name popping up regularly. Like usual you've derailed the thread by ignoring the subject and talking about things that are inconsequential while hurling insults like an obnoxious child. This thread is about annual revenue from football operations to gauge the marketability of each NRL brand.

I included the Leagues Clubs in a later post to point out that Sydney clubs rely heavily on non-football operations because their fan bases are small. Bringing up assets only validates my point.

Look at the amount of revenue the Cowboys and Broncos generate from ticketing and membership. It dwarfs the Sydney clubs. There's no room for the Sydney clubs to grow revenue in this field.

Iamback

Coach
I took you off ignore to see what shit you've been writing since I see your name popping up regularly. Like usual you've derailed the thread by ignoring the subject and talking about things that are inconsequential while hurling insults like an obnoxious child. This thread is about annual revenue from football operations to gauge the marketability of each NRL brand.

I included the Leagues Clubs in a later post to point out that Sydney clubs rely heavily on non-football operations because their fan bases are small. Bringing up assets only validates my point.

Look at the amount of revenue the Cowboys and Broncos generate from ticketing and membership. It dwarfs the Sydney clubs. There's no room for the Sydney clubs to grow revenue in this field.

Panthers own $200m worth of assets
That includes 2 hotels
The Academy
5 clubs

These assets make money.
this money is constant and not reliant on weather, teams performance and other factors that can affect memberships and ticket sales

That includes 2 hotels
The Academy
5 clubs

These assets make money.
this money is constant and not reliant on weather, teams performance and other factors that can affect memberships and ticket sales
You're trolling again by talking about non-footballing assets in a thread that's about revenue from football operations.

These non-footballing assets you keep diverting attention to were most likely purchased with money generated by gaming machine revenue. A club's first and primary purpose is to develop a supporter base. The Panthers have struggled in this area and rely on people with a gambling addiction to play the pokies. It's why last season's grand final drew the lowest ratings in history.

It needs to be remembered that gaming machine revenue in NSW is absurdly high compared to the rest of the world.

In 1999 the Australian Productivity Commission reported that Australia had nearly 185,000 poker machines, more than half of which were in New South Wales. This figure represented 20% of comparable machines in the world or 2.4% of all the varying gambling and prize based machines in the world (excluding those that are illegal),[1] and on a per capita basis, Australia had roughly five times as many gaming machines as the United States. Revenue from gaming machines in pubs and clubs accounts for more than half of the $4 billion in gambling revenue collected by state governments in fiscal year 2002 – 03.

Iamback

Coach
You're trolling again by talking about non-footballing assets in a thread that's about revenue from football operations.

These non-footballing assets you keep diverting attention to were most likely purchased with money generated by gaming machine revenue. A club's first and primary purpose is to develop a supporter base. The Panthers have struggled in this area and rely on people with a gambling addiction to play the pokies. It's why last season's grand final drew the lowest ratings in history.

It needs to be remembered that gaming machine revenue in NSW is absurdly high compared to the rest of the world.

In 1999 the Australian Productivity Commission reported that Australia had nearly 185,000 poker machines, more than half of which were in New South Wales. This figure represented 20% of comparable machines in the world or 2.4% of all the varying gambling and prize based machines in the world (excluding those that are illegal),[1] and on a per capita basis, Australia had roughly five times as many gaming machines as the United States. Revenue from gaming machines in pubs and clubs accounts for more than half of the $4 billion in gambling revenue collected by state governments in fiscal year 2002 – 03.​

You are only counting football based revenue because it doesn't look good for NQ, GC and Storm for that matter.

Clubs are getting the salary cap covered and $5m extra.
That alone covers football expenses

Anything above that is a bonus and can be used to bankroll the shortfall when the wheel turns and clubs are struggling on the field

10$ Ferret

Staff member
That includes 2 hotels
The Academy
5 clubs

These assets make money.

You are contradicting yourself as these again not necessarily assets of the football club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst it’s very good that manyy clubs have big asset bases, and some have profitable non football related side businesses, it would seem that hasn’t stopped them begging the nrl for more money to balance the books? Or for the nrl to have to divert money away from other important areas to finally make them all profitable.

We saw from the mess sharks where in that assets dont sometimes help year to year, and if sold off to cover growing debts without addressing why a club is losing money every year is a short term fix.

that some clubs are $10mill plus a year behind others in revenue on football operations has led to the nrl having to find more and more money to keep them viable. The grant has doubled in a decade, well ahead of the nrls revenue growth.

Last edited: