What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

BLM01

First Grade
But he is injury prone, and, if you're of the view that Mbye isn't first grade starting standard anything (as I am), then maybe we should be looking at a Blake Taaffe type of player (someone who can cover the halves and provide competition for Sloan in case he struggles again at full-back). I concede that finding someone now may not be easy but there's always a scandal at the Broncos you can rely on!
And who knows we may or may not have Amone after his court case early March

Como Connection

First Grade
But he is injury prone, and, if you're of the view that Mbye isn't first grade starting standard anything (as I am), then maybe we should be looking at a Blake Taaffe type of player (someone who can cover the halves and provide competition for Sloan in case he struggles again at full-back). I concede that finding someone now may not be easy but there's always a scandal at the Broncos you can rely on!
Mybe's best position is 6!
CC

Lethal25

Juniors
The reports that souths are after Dom Young got me thinking about our own wingers and whether we should make a play, to which I thought "no we need to invest in our forwards more", which we do. But then I thought about it again and thought we do still need to invest in our backs, especially given the uncertainty around Ramsey.

I really like Young as a player and he's off contract at the end of 2023. He's been in contact with Souths and also up in queensland talking to clubs, so a move for him is definitely on the cards. Massive season with Newcastle last year and will probably only get better from here on out. The man is a genetic freak, about 2 metres tall, 107kg, and yet still very quick and athletic.

For mine, as unpopular as it might be, I think Young would be ideal for our team at the expense of Ravalawa. Reason being, I think he possesses what Ravalawa has in size and strength which will help us coming out of our own end in the same way, but also possesses what Ravalawa lacks. Young has speed to burn, is very tall which adds another aerial threat, is 4 years younger than Rava and is still also good at finishing in the corner. He's quite athletic and can dive well for the corner in tight scenarios. Ravalawa's injuries have held him back and I think it's a risk to rely on him so heavily given this, especially considering how bad his recent hamstring issues have been. I think Mat Feagai has also been exceptional and is progressing really well, I wouldn't even consider dropping him. I think we need to be a bit more ruthless, just like the best teams are. Rava is so loveable and a fan favourite, but does that make him the best option on the wing? Perhaps there are better options and you've got to go after them, especially when that better option is probably going to command a pretty similar price.

The other reason I think this is a really good signing for us is that our wing depth is deceptively thin. Max Fegai in my opinion is an out and out centre, who has been touted as a possible replacement on the wing if injuries hit. Sure, he can play there, but I think his body shape doesn't really suit the wing and he's 100% a centre. Tautau Moga I think is the same. So without Ramsey, we essentially do not have more than two wingers in the squad, and one of them prefers playing centre anyway. Then there's Lobb, but he probably isn't ready for week to week NRL, which could potentially be what is demanded of one of our back ups in the case of a serious injury. In an ideal world, I'd love to re-sign Rava and sign up Dom Young. Rava would be a fantastic back up winger option in this scenario, someone ready made to step in and do a more than decent job. Obviously, this might not be possible given Rava is free to leave at the end of the year, but imagine having Feagai, Young and Rava all competing for wing spots in 2024, with Lobb having only improved with another pre season under his belt (and possibly a little NRL experience from 2023?) If Rava can't be re-signed as well, don't forget about Ramsey (hope he's doing well and will be fit and firing by that time).

Anyway, I feel like Young adds another dimension to our team that we don't have being speed out wide. He's just about as good at bringing the ball out of his own end as well despite being four years younger. Also adds another threat in the air and is a good finisher. Would also be good for succession planning in my opinion. Maybe once the end of 2024 comes around, we don't want to re-sign Suli for example because he's too expensive (the reported figure we got him for was way overs), so then maybe you move Mat Feagai to his preferred centre position having gained a few years experience in first grade on the wing and bring Lobb in on the left flank. Or, maybe you opt to leave Mat on the wing and bring Max into the vacant centre spot. Options aplenty, and saves you heaps of money to then invest further in forwards or upgrading juniors who may have impressed tremendously by that time.

I accept this is extremely unlikely, but would love it to happen.
From what I hear Young to Souths is already done

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
At this stage of the year you can mention all these great options, but other clubs are really only likely to release those that are not critical to their own success. 2023 looks to be another bleak year… not sure Griffin will survive it

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Barely anyone was available, we even reportedly asked managers to reach out if they had a front rower who might want a move. You can't just get a top line prop because you want one. We can however, do something for 2024 and beyond. Spencer Leniu and Luke Thompson are two options to go after. Thompson would have to come at the right price obviously for what he puts in. If you can land those two, maybe you save some money in 2024 in the back row as the quality of the rest of your forwards would allow you to bring a junior into the team there.

We then need to fill another gap or two and I think we've got a really decent side in 2024 that should make finals. You continue building from there to take the next step to an elite side. What could the rest of recruitment look like for 2024? Mbye is on 450k (reportedly). Let him go, and bring Kurt Mann back. Sell him the idea that every other club sees him as a "classic 14", but here at the Dragons you are going to be an out and out lock to come on when Jack Bird is tired or drifting out of the game as we know Bird is prone to fluctuating throughout games in terms of his positive contribution. Mann will only be used as a utility if injury in the backs does unfortunately strike in the midst of a game, but the plan should be to give him a defined role as a lock in this team, not just a "mr fix it". Then ideally (for me anyway) you also sign Dom Young, giving you a point of difference we haven't had previously out wide. Thompson being English and him knowing Kurt Mann from the Knights can be an extra sweetner for him to come down to the Gong as it'd be pretty daunting for him to come having only made a big move from Huddersfield a couple of years prior. This would just make him more comfortable. Thompson can find comfort in knowing Young from the world cup. Mann already has connections at the Dragons from his time here. Leniu knows Feagai and Su'a from the world cup.

Make some tough choices and let Burns or Fui, Kerr, Lawrie (unless he's not commanding too much), Mbye, Moga and Woods walk. Re-sign Liddle for now and put off finding a new hooker for another year. Then assess if it's really necessary to do so anyway given our juniors, as bringing in an outside hooker may be too expensive for 2024 with this recruitment drive. Promote Muhleisson/Finau to a bench hooker spot. Maybe in 2025's recruitment we can save more money and invest elsewhere by pulling the trigger on the heavily talked about Hunt to hooker, and go for someone like Toby Sexton who isn't getting a crack at the Titans to partner Bud in the halves and plan for the future with another talented young half. It just shows theres so many options, but we need to move quickly and act ruthless for mine.
You lose all credibility with the suggestion of bringing Mann back, boy can that guy plod

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Well, there are a number of Dragon players coming off contract this coming November and I'm sure some of the players we want to keep have been front-ended this season. So, there will be a treasure chest for recruitment for season 2024. I'm sure Dean Young will be given every chance to succeed in his first season as head coach.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Strong rumour Spencer Lenin about to sign with Bulldigs. I just don’t get our club, we just don’t seem to be interested in anyone and will suffer the indignity of being close to the wooden spoon this year then see how easy it is to attract new players…. This club is on the slippery slide to oblivion which will become evident after 6 rounds of the comp this season

qld redvee

Juniors
Strong rumour Spencer Lenin about to sign with Bulldigs. I just don’t get our club, we just don’t seem to be interested in anyone and will suffer the indignity of being close to the wooden spoon this year then see how easy it is to attract new players…. This club is on the slippery slide to oblivion which will become evident after 6 rounds of the comp this season
would have thought we would have gone in with a decent offer for him after the grand final .. I just hope there is some sort of plan at the dragons because if we cant improve on last year how do we sign players for 24 without paying overs and wrecking the salary cap again .. christ i hope we have a player or 2 coming through

epDragon62

First Grade
Barely anyone was available, we even reportedly asked managers to reach out if they had a front rower who might want a move. You can't just get a top line prop because you want one. We can however, do something for 2024 and beyond. Spencer Leniu and Luke Thompson are two options to go after. Thompson would have to come at the right price obviously for what he puts in. If you can land those two, maybe you save some money in 2024 in the back row as the quality of the rest of your forwards would allow you to bring a junior into the team there.

We then need to fill another gap or two and I think we've got a really decent side in 2024 that should make finals. You continue building from there to take the next step to an elite side. What could the rest of recruitment look like for 2024? Mbye is on 450k (reportedly). Let him go, and bring Kurt Mann back. Sell him the idea that every other club sees him as a "classic 14", but here at the Dragons you are going to be an out and out lock to come on when Jack Bird is tired or drifting out of the game as we know Bird is prone to fluctuating throughout games in terms of his positive contribution. Mann will only be used as a utility if injury in the backs does unfortunately strike in the midst of a game, but the plan should be to give him a defined role as a lock in this team, not just a "mr fix it". Then ideally (for me anyway) you also sign Dom Young, giving you a point of difference we haven't had previously out wide. Thompson being English and him knowing Kurt Mann from the Knights can be an extra sweetner for him to come down to the Gong as it'd be pretty daunting for him to come having only made a big move from Huddersfield a couple of years prior. This would just make him more comfortable. Thompson can find comfort in knowing Young from the world cup. Mann already has connections at the Dragons from his time here. Leniu knows Feagai and Su'a from the world cup.

Make some tough choices and let Burns or Fui, Kerr, Lawrie (unless he's not commanding too much), Mbye, Moga and Woods walk. Re-sign Liddle for now and put off finding a new hooker for another year. Then assess if it's really necessary to do so anyway given our juniors, as bringing in an outside hooker may be too expensive for 2024 with this recruitment drive. Promote Muhleisson/Finau to a bench hooker spot. Maybe in 2025's recruitment we can save more money and invest elsewhere by pulling the trigger on the heavily talked about Hunt to hooker, and go for someone like Toby Sexton who isn't getting a crack at the Titans to partner Bud in the halves and plan for the future with another talented young half. It just shows theres so many options, but we need to move quickly and act ruthless for mine.
...simples...

possm

Coach
would have thought we would have gone in with a decent offer for him after the grand final .. I just hope there is some sort of plan at the dragons because if we cant improve on last year how do we sign players for 24 without paying overs and wrecking the salary cap again .. christ i hope we have a player or 2 coming through
I'm sure there is a plan but not one we fans are very happy with. In my opinion, the plan is to front-end contracts that continue into 2024 and 2025 and stick with the current coach mainly because a deal has been done with Griffin to stay for 2023.

In 2024 we will splash the cash and Dean Young will benefit greatly with a host of top first-graders joining the Dragons squad.

HenryTatana

Juniors
I'm sure there is a plan but not one we fans are very happy with. In my opinion, the plan is to front-end contracts that continue into 2024 and 2025 and stick with the current coach mainly because a deal has been done with Griffin to stay for 2023.

In 2024 we will splash the cash and Dean Young will benefit greatly with a host of top first-graders joining the Dragons squad.
Me thinks that like toilet paper in the early Covid days there will be no players on the shelves in 2024 to buy.

Walpole

Juniors

There is absolutely nothing to support this theory.

Does anyone know if any rostered Dragons are part of this strike force threatening the NRL season. Latest I am hearing is that the NRL has lined up 200 American based footy players to take over from any strikers who are now threatening a comp-wide boycott.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Does anyone know if any rostered Dragons are part of this strike force threatening the NRL season. Latest I am hearing is that the NRL has lined up 200 American based footy players to take over from any strikers who are now threatening a comp-wide boycott.
The NRL didn't "line up" the American players. An American rugby league group offered to send players over to Australia to keep the competition going in the event of an NRL players strike. The offer was not taken seriously.

Latest posts