What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

Parko1310

Juniors
Why not Flegler and Lenui
Exactly what I’d be hoping for, but as we know we struggle in the recruitment department so it’s a tall order. So if I had to pick a top priority it’d be Leniu. Also, perhaps they have someone else in mind that’s off contract next year or the year after they’d like to go after, so signing up flegler and Leniu could blow that possibility out of the water. Who knows?

Cupper

Juniors
My main target would be Fifita, I think our team in general lacks X factor in attack- and he has it in spades. Yes he can go missing, yes he’s currently overpaid, but I’d be more than happy to get him for 800k or so per season.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Reported the other day Flegler might be squeezed out of the Broncs, so if there is truth to that I'd definitely go for him over Thompson. Will command similar prices but Flegler is more damaging, younger and has that mongrel we need. Thompson's a steady option who will do a good job but probably won't provide you with much more. I still think Leniu should be the priority prop target for next year though.
Flegler would be a great catch, probably end up at the Dogs Lol

possm

Coach
No matter how you look at it, our club seems not to prioritize having a good recruitment/retention staff. Some old but sound rules have just gone missing and we don't really know who is responsible for this function at our club right now.

I believe a two-man team is doing the job and one of them Is the head of football Haran. Of course, at our club, it goes without saying that the people now 'unofficially' in charge of this area are most probably getting an upgrade in pay.

It is time to hire Nathan Brown to head off recruitment and retention. He has a good eye for talent and has been successful in bring good talent to clubs that he has been associated with.

Iron Mike

Juniors
No matter how you look at it, our club seems not to prioritize having a good recruitment/retention staff. Some old but sound rules have just gone missing and we don't really know who is responsible for this function at our club right now.

I believe a two-man team is doing the job and one of them Is the head of football Haran. Of course, at our club, it goes without saying that the people now 'unofficially' in charge of this area are most probably getting an upgrade in pay.

It is time to hire Nathan Brown to head off recruitment and retention. He has a good eye for talent and has been successful in bring good talent to clubs that he has been associated with.
100% Agree
With No decision likely to be made publicly on Hooks future till at least Late April , the only way we can recruit any marquee players for 2024 will be with a high profile and respected General Manager . Haran is a likeable bloke but has not been able to succeed in attracting the marquee player we badly need.
I understand Brownie wants the job and would be a great addition to the club right now .
With the window to recruit established first graders for season 24 Likely to close in the next 2-3 months this appointment needs to happen now

twinkletoes

Juniors
100% Agree
With No decision likely to be made publicly on Hooks future till at least Late April , the only way we can recruit any marquee players for 2024 will be with a high profile and respected General Manager . Haran is a likeable bloke but has not been able to succeed in attracting the marquee player we badly need.
I understand Brownie wants the job and would be a great addition to the club right now .
With the window to recruit established first graders for season 24 Likely to close in the next 2-3 months this appointment needs to happen now
The position has been vacant for 3 months and seemingly no hurry to appoint a full time recruitment manager…. Hence the total lack of new signings… most clubs already signing for 2024, while we are still deciding if we need a recruitment manager.. why am I not surprised

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Until there's an extra-ordinary Board meeting alled to 'discuss' the coach, there's really nothing to suggest he is going to be replaced anytime soon. Not saying it won't happen, but at this stage it is just media talk and wants from forumites.

There's a lot of determining factors In play, some we know very little about. As we seem to focus only on the 'W' column.

The biggest question is whether a 'new' coach would indeed turn the fortunes around. Yes. It has worked for some, it there are plenty of examples where it doesn't, the Titans and The Knights spring to mind.

Would anyone say Ricky's tenure at the Raiders has been successful, or Arthur's at the Eels? Yet they are still there, even though supporters were calling for their removal.

So, why is that? Maybe it is more than just what's in the 'W' column that we just aren't privy to.

In saying that, we should be looking for a results driven season. Hanging around in the bottom half of the table is not what this proud club needs or should want. If Hook isn't the one to drive us back into finals contention, then the hard talk has to be had. However, the issue remains, would a new coach achieve any better? Unfortunately, no-one can 100% guarantee that.

Dragon David

First Grade
Until there's an extra-ordinary Board meeting alled to 'discuss' the coach, there's really nothing to suggest he is going to be replaced anytime soon. Not saying it won't happen, but at this stage it is just media talk and wants from forumites.

There's a lot of determining factors In play, some we know very little about. As we seem to focus onlyf on the 'W' column.

The biggest question is whether a 'new' coach would indeed turn the fortunes around. Yes. It has worked for some, it there are plenty of examples where it doesn't, the Titans and The Knights spring to mind.

Would anyone say Ricky's tenure at the Raiders has been successful, or Arthur's at the Eels? Yet they are still there, even though supporters were calling for their removal.

So, why is that? Maybe it is more than just what's in the 'W' column that we just aren't privy to.

In saying that, we should be looking for a results driven season. Hanging around in the bottom half of the table is not what this proud club needs or should want. If Hook isn't the one to drive us back into finals contention, then the hard talk has to be had. However, the issue remains, would a new coach achieve any better? Unfortunately, no-one can 100% guarantee that.
A results driven coach together with several top class players in the backs and forwards and a good blending of youth will get us into finals I think. Even if we had a top quality coach now, would the squad we have be good enough to reach finals footy?

For the Dragons to be consistently in the top 6, it will require massive changes and I don't think Hook would be able to secure the services of anyone substantial to join us as he has not done so to date.

The setbacks we continue to have each year puts us behind the 8 ball - we need lady luck to be on our side for a change.

Lethal25

Juniors
What irks me the most is the deadly silence of the club in regards recruitment and forward planning.. sadly the place looks totally void of any vision or strategy
I think you have voiced the sentiment of a vast majority of supporters.

I've mentioned this before but if they offered some hope, any hope that things will improve and plans are in motion it would drastically change the feeling around this club

BLM01

First Grade

There's a lot of determining factors In play, some we know very little about. As we seem to focus only on the 'W' column.

Agree with most you say but I would have been happy to have had Parramatta’s recent record under Arthur
Competitive most weeks, continually making the 8 or Top 4
Even when penalised for the cap was still winning a lot of games
I know the supporters are desperate for a GF win but that is extremely hard to achieve

rasaint

Juniors
Quite a few interesting posts which gravitate to goals such as results driven coach / quality recruitment / two or three top class players and so on. Another thread is under the title ‘ sack Griffin’.

Coaches are interesting discussions. I have noted this before. Robbo and Bellamy are both one club long term and very long term coaches of high profile and wealthy club arrangements. They are not going anywhere and why would they? Top class great rosters make great coaches.

Robbo has a 63 win % after 10 seasons and Bellamy 69% after 15 plus. Wayne Bennet has a 63 win % ( tanked to 45% with Newcastle). Ivan Cleary mid 40% wins after 200 odd coaching games until beaut run with the Panthers ( second time round) now pumped him up to 54%. Tim Sheens ( saving the Tigs 2023) has 51% wins across 4 NRL clubs and 2 English clubs. BTW good on Sheens for not staying put but coaching mix of high profile and struggling clubs. Brad Arthur about 10 seasons at Eels has 53% wins. Finally, Hook has 52% which includes 2 seasons coming to our struggling club.

My point is you have to have the cattle No matter who you are

Dragon David

First Grade
What you say is correct rasaint -
"My point is you have to have the cattle No matter who you are"

There are many examples of teams having better cattle for "good" coaches to get higher percentage win results. They don't have to be "great" coaches in fact. Just know the rules backwards and know how to manage the personnel - like for example the coach of the womens league team who won the world cup in 2022 under Brad Donald - our women had much more class than the other nations' women and coaching them would have been easy for Brad. The same goes for our women's cricket team - great players which makes things easier for the previous coach Matthew Mott and now Shelley Nitschke to get the wins.

If we had the cattle like the Storm, Roosters and Penrith etc and win many games under Hook, then Hook might be our coach for years like Bellamy and Robbo.