What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Santino Patane

Juniors
Here comes the Queensland version of the postcode wars
You’re probably right in that I shouldn’t have responded, but broad generalities like that one piss me off. Shows a lack of nuance, but I suppose I don’t come to LU for nuance, right??

Anyway, back to the question, is Perth a guarantee for #18? Can anywhere else realistically get the licence???

Perth Red

Post Whore
You’re probably right in that I shouldn’t have responded, but broad generalities like that one piss me off. Shows a lack of nuance, but I suppose I don’t come to LU for nuance, right??

Anyway, back to the question, is Perth a guarantee for #18? Can anywhere else realistically get the licence???
Going on past history of how conservative the nrl is I would say nothing is certain!

id hope the WA govt stepping in and having conversations may be a tipping point but we haven’t really yet seen what a nz2 bid can offer. Or what the bears will do in that regard.

perth v nz2 as it stands perth is in for sure
perth bears v anyone perth is in for sure (but a disaster in the making)
perth v nz bears that will be an interesting contest

i can’t see anyone other real contenders for the 18th spot.

MugaB

Coach

You should always respond, never be afraid for calling out an obvious troll... and that potato counting grotd deadshit is the very definition of a troll, fancy calling out Ipswich especially when he loves to spout about his local Logan ..GTFOHWTS

As for the 18th team... location will be a mystery, but my bet its where ever the bears hang their hat...
I read recently they are still pushing for the country NSW angle, with the obvious few games at NSO..

It's probably the more favoured bid for entry, as SEQ wont be the 18th team... and NZ2 isn't ready yet in terms of participants due to covid, but most likely going to be no.19, with Perth, Adelaide Qld5 and PNG all dukeing it out for no.20... unless the ARLC stipulates that there will be absolutely no more NSW entrants for any further expansion, then that will push the bears to choose the latter locations, either way i see the bears getting no.18... its PVL people, its all about the winfield cup yall

Thanks. Great to know I’m a scumbag. Appreciate your input on my family and I.
Obviously not everyone in Beenleigh is a scumbag and I should have worded my statement better, but there is a significant amount of drug addicts and criminals in Beenleigh's CBD. I was there many years ago and was surprised to see so many teenage mothers and drug addicts walking the streets near the shopping centre and train station. It obviously doesn't help that the courthouse is there and many criminals have to come in via the railway to attend court, but the fact they're in the vicinity for this reason makes it an uncomfortable environment. The people I saw at the shopping centre looked like they were spaced out on drugs. It was really sad and I just wanted to get out of there. It's similar to Logan Central on Wembley Road and Loganlea.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You should always respond, never be afraid for calling out an obvious troll... and that potato counting grotd deadshit is the very definition of a troll, fancy calling out Ipswich especially when he loves to spout about his local Logan ..GTFOHWTS

As for the 18th team... location will be a mystery, but my bet its where ever the bears hang their hat...
I read recently they are still pushing for the country NSW angle, with the obvious few games at NSO..

It's probably the more favoured bid for entry, as SEQ wont be the 18th team... and NZ2 isn't ready yet in terms of participants due to covid, but most likely going to be no.19, with Perth, Adelaide Qld5 and PNG all dukeing it out for no.20... unless the ARLC stipulates that there will be absolutely no more NSW entrants for any further expansion, then that will push the bears to choose the latter locations, either way i see the bears getting no.18... its PVL people, its all about the winfield cup yall
only way Bears get in is if they can convince a WA consortium and or WA govt to partner with them, or a NZ consortium to partner with them. No way a Bears bid in either NZ or WA v a bid from that area wins. No way NRL admits another NSW club, despite the myopic Vlandys.

A WA rich consortium+ WA Govt v NZ Consortium + NS Bears is an interesting battle for sure!

WA Consortium v WA Govt+NS Bears I suspect Bears would win

WA govt are a key player in the decision I reckon. They have already invested time and money in looking at whose going to bid and who they should jump in bed with. Id love to see that report!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Dolphins should be the fourth and final NRL team in Queensland, according to the game’s top coaches.

The Sunshine State has been snubbed in the expansion debate following News Corp’s 2023 NRL Coaches’ Survey.

The Dolphins, based at Redcliffe, will become the NRL’s 17th team this season after securing the first expansion licence since the Gold Coast Titans in 2007.

But they should be the last in Queensland if the NRL decides to expand again in the coming years to create an 18-team competition, as planned.

A resounding 52 per cent of coaches surveyed believe the NRL should launch a Perth team if expansion goes ahead again.

That was the leading response, with 22 per cent believing the game should not expand any time soon.

A second New Zealand team to join the Auckland-based Warriors came in with 14 per cent of the vote while the Central Coast, North Sydney and Pacific each received four per cent.

Interestingly, Queensland was snubbed in the debate despite boasting less than 25 per cent of teams in the NRL and being a rugby league-mad state.

The Dolphins will join the Titans, Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys this year.

A third Brisbane team has been mooted as a potential expansion club to give the Broncos a genuine inner-city rival, given the Dolphins are based on the outskirts of Brisbane.

The Dolphins beat the Jets and Firehawks bids for the 17th licence when it was awarded in late 2021. The Ipswich/western corridor remains a heartland region for rugby league and is a growing area that has the potential to provide rugby league with increased crowds and boost television ratings.

But the NRL’s coaches do not believe that is the best scenario, with some pointing out to a lack of depth in playing ranks following the introduction of the Dolphins.

Pneuma

First Grade
Obviously not everyone in Beenleigh is a scumbag and I should have worded my statement better, but there is a significant amount of drug addicts and criminals in Beenleigh's CBD. I was there many years ago and was surprised to see so many teenage mothers and drug addicts walking the streets near the shopping centre and train station. It obviously doesn't help that the courthouse is there and many criminals have to come in via the railway to attend court, but the fact they're in the vicinity for this reason makes it an uncomfortable environment. The people I saw at the shopping centre looked like they were spaced out on drugs. It was really sad and I just wanted to get out of there. It's similar to Logan Central on Wembley Road and Loganlea.
Potato

Santino Patane

Juniors

I don’t know what to say about your ideas where #18 is going; totally not disagreeing with you but it does seem….. deflating. It makes so much sense though with how much nostalgia rules our game. We’re finally getting some traction as a game and our solution to grow is to bring in a club that disappeared when I was a kid (and I’m an old prick now). Damn…..

As much as I’d love to see more contact/nouse to come to Qld league, it should be lower in priority to a lot more important growth areas. NSW should be a no go for more teams, but none should get the arse. Any talk of relocation/demotion is redundant as it will never happen and shouldn’t either. Sydney is saturated in clubs, but losing any is only a net loss to the game and should be the “heritage” or “soul” of the game, with the expansion teams being the moving forward piece. Is there actually anyone dreaming for the Bears return that hasn’t reached their half century??

I fall in the camp of seeing Perth in next- still don’t get the need for NZ2 (no argument other than a forced need for a NZ Derby has been convincing) as the arguments are all weak. Adelaide seems like there’s no real desire for and while PNG would be my heart call, it does seem like a bridge too far for the comp to make happen; we could do it if our administrators had some real balls to invest in something big, but I think the above comments re Bears prove otherwise.

I’m not sure this is obvious, but all of this is just my perspective on expansion here at the beginning of’23,and they’re not really worth much at all and am happy to be wrong. Would be cool to actually see what my kids will be watching in 30-40 years time.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Perth bears is a better outcome
Perth bears is the worse possible outcome
"Perth Bears" isn't even an option, at least not in any meaningful sense of the term.

If the Bears relaunched in Perth-

• the team would be called 'the Bears'

• the club would still be based in Sydney despite the fact that the NRL team played and trained in Perth

• they'd play up to 4 games a year at NSO (numbers as high as 6 have been thrown out by board members, but the official line is 2-4 a year when they're interviewed by the media about Perth specifically)

• no changes would be made to the brand to make reference to Perth or WA

• they talk almost exclusively about tapping into the old Bears fanbase, not about building a new one in Perth/WA

• generally they even spruik it as a opportunity to get more juniors from NS into the NRL, and not as an opportunity to tap into the relatively untapped talent pool in WA.

In other words it wouldn't even be a Perth team in name only... Perth would only be involved in so far as they'd be the key that unlocked the door that allows the Bears back into the NRL, and the Bears would look to do away with Perth as much as possible as soon as they weren't needed anymore.

Same goes for any of their other schemes to get back into the NRL.

Last edited:
I don’t know what to say about your ideas where #18 is going; totally not disagreeing with you but it does seem….. deflating. It makes so much sense though with how much nostalgia rules our game. We’re finally getting some traction as a game and our solution to grow is to bring in a club that disappeared when I was a kid (and I’m an old prick now). Damn…..

As much as I’d love to see more contact/nouse to come to Qld league, it should be lower in priority to a lot more important growth areas. NSW should be a no go for more teams, but none should get the arse. Any talk of relocation/demotion is redundant as it will never happen and shouldn’t either. Sydney is saturated in clubs, but losing any is only a net loss to the game and should be the “heritage” or “soul” of the game, with the expansion teams being the moving forward piece. Is there actually anyone dreaming for the Bears return that hasn’t reached their half century??

I fall in the camp of seeing Perth in next- still don’t get the need for NZ2 (no argument other than a forced need for a NZ Derby has been convincing) as the arguments are all weak. Adelaide seems like there’s no real desire for and while PNG would be my heart call, it does seem like a bridge too far for the comp to make happen; we could do it if our administrators had some real balls to invest in something big, but I think the above comments re Bears prove otherwise.

I’m not sure this is obvious, but all of this is just my perspective on expansion here at the beginning of’23,and they’re not really worth much at all and am happy to be wrong. Would be cool to actually see what my kids will be watching in 30-40 years time.

Our game will fall further behind AwFuL until it cuts the dead weight that's holding it back. None of the nutcases running the game will do what needs to be done. Our fate is to continue our fall down the pecking order until we're a niche sport in Australia.

The annual reports from the Sydn clubs prove they're unviable.

Rugby league will not shed its status as a "dumbarse" game until it choofs off the dumbarses from Sydney who are holding it hostage.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
"Perth Bears" isn't even an option, at least not in any meaningful sense of the term.

If the Bears relaunched in Perth-

• the team would be called 'the Bears'

• the club would still be based in Sydney despite the fact that the NRL team played and trained in Perth

• they'd play up to 4 games a year at NSO (numbers as high as 6 have been thrown out by board members, but the official line is 2-4 a year when they're interviewed by the media about Perth specifically)

• no changes would be made to the brand to make reference to Perth or WA

• they talk almost exclusively about tapping into the old Bears fanbase, not about building a new one in Perth/WA

• generally they even spruik it as a opportunity to get more juniors from NS into the NRL, and not as an opportunity to tap into the relatively untapped talent pool in WA.

In other words it wouldn't even be a Perth team in name only... Perth would only be involved in so far as they'd be the key that unlocked the door that allows the Bears back into the NRL, and the Bears would look to do away with Perth as much as possible as soon as they weren't needed anymore.

Same goes for any of their other schemes to get back into the NRL.
Perth Bears it is then

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Our game will fall further behind AwFuL until it cuts the dead weight that's holding it back. None of the nutcases running the game will do what needs to be done. Our fate is to continue our fall down the pecking order until we're a niche sport in Australia.

Rugby league will not shed its status as a "dumbarse" game until it choofs off the dumbarses from Sydney who are holding it hostage.
f**k....couldn’t help myself. Had to take you off ignore just once to see if you were still dribbling shit. Shoulda known better....won’t get that 5 mins back.

Pneuma

First Grade

Is there a limit to the amount of times a potato can include the same table on a forum? I must have seen this over 50 times. Could someone inform the potato to stop. Said potato has me on ignore.