What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

wazdog

Juniors
Not sure if this was relevant for this thread, membership thread or stadiums (but they seem to be exactly the same conversation going around in circles at times lol), but here is a look at social media engagement across teams. This along with email distribution lists are not only a great way to engage with fans but an opportunity for sponsors to put their brand in front of eyeballs. Even though there would be cross over with users across the various channels, it is in effect adding more opportunities for sponsor engagement hence adding them up.

1675422182325.png

Data as at yesterday (all but Facebook) and today (Facebook) and in almost all cases rounded.

Release the hounds Smithers

EDIT 1: I probably mixed up followers and likes on Facebook but I CBF fixing it and don't know what the difference is.

EDIT 2: Updated table for Facebook Follows not Likes only Sharks and Raiders switched ranks

Last edited:

ground zero

Juniors
Not sure if this was relevant for this thread or the membership thread (but there seems to be exactly the same conversation going around in circles at times lol), but here is a look at social media engagement across teams. This along with email distribution lists are not only a great way to engage with fans but an opportunity for sponsors to put their brand in front of eyeballs. Even though there would be cross over with users across the various channels, it is in effect adding more opportunities for sponsor engagement hence adding them up.

View attachment 70021

Data as at yesterday and in almost all cases rounded.

what a load of shet an lies. your a dickhead

I'm sure everyone will be happy about what's written on p8 of the Brisbane Lions 2022 annual report:

Going concern

The Company has reported a profit of $37,750,983 for the year ended 31 October 2022 (2021: $25,337,691). As at 31 October 2022 the Company has Accumulated Funds of $53,446,210 (2021: $15,695,227) and a net current asset deficiency of $8,495,366 (2021: $4,132,787). The profit recorded in the 2022 year includes $35,125,700 (2021: $20,662,804) of grant income relating to the construction of the Training and Administration Facility, as required by accounting standards. This facility will be depreciated over its useful life which will impact future operating results.

The ability of the Company to continue as a going concern including the ability to pay its debts as and when they fall due is dependent on the Company being able to successfully generate sufficient funds through membership, sponsorship, fundraising, gate receipts and other sources, and/or the continued financial support of the Australian Football League (“AFL”). If the Company is unable to successfully generate sufficient funding from these sources to continue its ongoing operations, there is a material uncertainty whether the Company will be able to continue as a going concern and be able to realise its assets and extinguish its liabilities in the normal course of business and at the amounts stated in the financial report.

The financial statements have been prepared on a going concern basis which assumes the Company will continue its operations and be able to meet its obligations as and when they become due and payable.

The Directors note the following factors supporting the adoption of the going concern basis:

• The AFL’s Competitive Balance policies aimed at supporting the objective of having all AFL Clubs being financially viable continue to apply. As a consequence of these policies the Company has been and will continue to be the recipient of extra funding in future years to assist the Company to meet its financial obligations;
• The Company has a letter of comfort (which is not a guarantee) from the AFL which outlines a range of financial assistance packages that have and can be used to assist the Company to meet its obligations if necessary;
• The Company’s current Trade and other payables include an amount of $10,000,000 owing to the AFL. Whilst this debt is payable on demand by the AFL the Company expects that the AFL will continue to support the Company in accordance with its letter of comfort, and will not demand repayment if the Company does not have sufficient available funds to pay;
• Management has prepared cash flow forecasts that, after taking into account the above continued financial assistance, supports the preparation of the financial statements on a going concern basis; and
• As discussed in note 19 the Company is economically dependent on the continual support of the AFL.​

Not sure if this was relevant for this thread, membership thread or stadiums (but there seems to be exactly the same conversation going around in circles at times lol), but here is a look at social media engagement across teams. This along with email distribution lists are not only a great way to engage with fans but an opportunity for sponsors to put their brand in front of eyeballs. Even though there would be cross over with users across the various channels, it is in effect adding more opportunities for sponsor engagement hence adding them up.

View attachment 70022

Data as at yesterday (all but Facebook) and today (Facebook) and in almost all cases rounded.

EDIT 1: I probably mixed up followers and likes on Facebook but I CBF fixing it and don't know what the difference is.

EDIT 2: Updated table for Facebook Follows not Likes only Sharks and Raiders switched ranks
This is important because it shows how many casual fans each club has under its wing. The next step is figuring out how to convert these fans into active supporters.

Dolphins will take a few years to develop a following.

mongoose

Coach
Dolphins really flying with the tiktok users .... awful twitter numbers though ( i have no idea what any of this data actually means lol)

Pneuma

First Grade
I'll quote a post that the simpleton left in the expansion forum to demonstrate what sort of person we're dealing with:

According to DFAT, less than 15% of Papua New Guineans have access to electricity and 80% of the population lives off subsistence farming with little to no disposable income. GDP per capita in PNG is just USD2,757 and has gone backwards since 2014.

The simpleton who thinks PNG is a better candidate for an NRL team than Perth made his delusional post after the DFAT information was presented to him. It doesn't matter how many facts are presented to the idiot to refute his bizarre claims. He continues to believe them because he wants them to be true.

Potato

Pneuma

First Grade
Claiming a govt grant as revenue is an interesting one that’s for sure

that ten million the afl lent them is never going to get paid back they should just write it off
A government grant is revenue and is inclusive of gst.

wazdog

Juniors
I don’t see the nrl clubs showing the grants for their coe as revenues ?
It depends on the model I guess. For example the Rabbitohs don’t own their CoE (Randwick Council do), similarly I don’t think the Roosters don’t own theirs (Venues NSW would) with both clubs having long term leases on the respective sites.

So in the Rabbitohs case I suspect the grant from NSW government would be recorded in Randwick Councils financials as it definitely wasn’t in the clubs financials.

The Brisbane Lions may own the land their CoE is on hence them recording it as revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t see the nrl clubs showing the grants for their coe as revenues ?
Most would if it’s paid directly t9 them for something they own. because it’s revenue lol
for example sharks show theirs they’ve been sitting on for a few years now and the money they got to refurb leagues club. Taking out the grant lions still made $2mill profit and have a fan and corporate revenue double many nrl clubs, I thought they were a terrible expansion club according to some on here?

Wb1234

Referee
It depends on the model I guess. For example the Rabbitohs don’t own their CoE (Randwick Council do), similarly I don’t think the Roosters don’t own theirs (Venues NSW would) with both clubs having long term leases on the respective sites.

So in the Rabbitohs case I suspect the grant from NSW government would be recorded in Randwick Councils financials as it definitely wasn’t in the clubs financials.

The Brisbane Lions may own the land their CoE is on hence them recording it as revenue.
Yeh I think you are right

its not just the lions many other afl clubs also got government money to built their own coe

so it looks like the afl were given pure gifts of government funds whilst league the assets are retained by government

I wonder if the league clubs have to pay rent

docbrown

Coach
Not sure if this was relevant for this thread, membership thread or stadiums (but they seem to be exactly the same conversation going around in circles at times lol), but here is a look at social media engagement across teams. This along with email distribution lists are not only a great way to engage with fans but an opportunity for sponsors to put their brand in front of eyeballs. Even though there would be cross over with users across the various channels, it is in effect adding more opportunities for sponsor engagement hence adding them up.

View attachment 70022

It’s a perfectly valid measurement of fanbases. Obviously these would be split on a scale between casual and hardcore fans. For example, Broncos would have more hardcore fans than the Storm, even though they have similar social media reach. Advertising agencies definitely take all this data into account.

What is interesting is that I first looked at these numbers for Facebook and Twitter about a decade ago. Just considering their relative rankings: Broncos were number one back then too. Rabbitohs and Eels were the top Sydney clubs. But there’s been some big movers. Warriors have gone up which is a bit surprising. Panthers and Roosters have climbed significantly. They used to be down with the Sea Eagles and Sharks. Success has increased their appeal. But Tigers and Dragons have had big falls. They used to be ranked higher than the Roosters and Panthers.

Pneuma

First Grade
It’s a perfectly valid measurement of fanbases. Obviously these would be split on a scale between casual and hardcore fans. For example, Broncos would have more hardcore fans than the Storm, even though they have similar social media reach. Advertising agencies definitely take all this data into account.

What is interesting is that I first looked at these numbers for Facebook and Twitter about a decade ago. Just considering their relative rankings: Broncos were number one back then too. Rabbitohs and Eels were the top Sydney clubs. But there’s been some big movers. Warriors have gone up which is a bit surprising. Panthers and Roosters have climbed significantly. They used to be down with the Sea Eagles and Sharks. Success has increased their appeal. But Tigers and Dragons have had big falls. They used to be ranked higher than the Roosters and Panthers.
Storm figures are quite remarkable and validate why a Melbourne club makes sense. As you say the fan base may not be as hard core as the broncos but people bother to indicate an interest in them. It’s a great selling point for sponsors and marketing in Australia’s second biggest state (even if it is full of Victorians)

Canard

Immortal
Dolphins really flying with the tiktok users .... awful twitter numbers though ( i have no idea what any of this data actually means lol)

Is it because Twitter is no longer a "thing" with most young social media users?

And the other clubs followers joined up years ago?

docbrown

Coach
Storm figures are quite remarkable and validate why a Melbourne club makes sense. As you say the fan base may not be as hard core as the broncos but people bother to indicate an interest in them. It’s a great selling point for sponsors and marketing in Australia’s second biggest state (even if it is full of Victorians)
I agree. I think it could also be argued that if a Victorian club can be almost number one with the Broncos, a WA side is at least capable of being in the top eight of all clubs.

Iamback

Coach
Most would if it’s paid directly t9 them for something they own. because it’s revenue lol
for example sharks show theirs they’ve been sitting on for a few years now and the money they got to refurb leagues club. Taking out the grant lions still made $2mill profit and have a fan and corporate revenue double many nrl clubs, I thought they were a terrible expansion club according to some on here?

And when you take out pokie Den money?

Iamback

Coach

A lot goes with the age of the fan base, Penrith games I am noticing more kids.

Dragons have an older fanbase. DT/Radio would be their media

Latest posts