What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

And yet, one of the most consistent sides of the last decade.
In the last decade they've been in serious financial peril. Not long after their maiden premiership they were in debt. They needed to sell their stake in the Woolooware development to Capital Bluestone for just $39m. Part of the deal was an upfront payment of $9m to pay off debt. A future investments fund was set up over 12 years and equates to a total of $18m, which works out to just $1.5m per annum being handed to the Sharks. The other $12m was spent on upgrading their Leagues Club. That's all Cronulla got for selling one of its over-hyped assets.

Cowboys generate more than $16m per annum from football operations. To get an idea od how much that is, when Cronulla's poultry $18m future investments fund runs dry after 12 years the Cowboys will have earnt $192m from their supporters!

Pneuma

First Grade
In the last decade they've been in serious financial peril. Not long after their maiden premiership they were in debt. They needed to sell their stake in the Woolooware development to Capital Bluestone for just $39m. Part of the deal was an upfront payment of $9m to pay off debt. A future investments fund was set up over 12 years and equates to a total of $18m, which works out to just $1.5m per annum being handed to the Sharks. The other $12m was spent on upgrading their Leagues Club. That's all Cronulla got for selling one of its over-hyped assets.

Cowboys generate more than $16m per annum from football operations. To get an idea od how much that is, when Cronulla's poultry $18m future investments fund runs dry after 12 years the Cowboys will have earnt $192m from their supporters!
I’m not sure what your point is. Do you like the Sharks or not? I’m confused. I thought you and the Perth Poodle were our biggest fans!

After work I'm usually into a beer and laugh on here with these "discussions".
All I'm going to say tonight is:
There is a great deal of babble about the new Sharks Leagues Club.
And yet no mention of the fact that there are two other parts of the development.
1 - A grand hotel, where fans from let's say, Townsville, can stay. They can wander next door, have some fine dining, drink our liquor, and play our pokies.
2 - there is also a pub that over looks the grand ole majestic Botany Bay (please note my sarcasm. Even though I actually do live on this particualr Bay). Anyone who knows the young crowd of the Shire will know that a great deal of them do not play pokies. They just like to drink in a place that over looks the water.

These are two other money earners that the Sharks will be getting out of the development?
Now I am implore you all.... are these such evil things???? Or just good business?

Pneuma

First Grade
And yet no mention of the fact that there are two other parts of the development.
1 - A grand hotel, where fans from let's say, Townsville, can stay. They can wander next door, have some fine dining, drink our liquor, and play our pokies.
2 - there is also a pub that over looks the grand ole majestic Botany Bay (please note my sarcasm. Even though I actually do live on this particualr Bay). Anyone who knows the young crowd of the Shire will know that a great deal of them do not play pokies. They just like to drink in a place that over looks the water.

These are two other money earners that the Sharks will be getting out of the development?
Now I am implore you all.... are these such evil things???? Or just good business?
This magnificent post will elicit negative posts from Logan and Perth. The handmaidens of hate!

This magnificent post will elicit negative posts from Logan and Perth. The handmaidens of hate!
Mate if you ever want to come up for a game, we've got a few spare member seats on the half way line, next to the tunnel. And you can come to our Brewery beforehand and drink some great f**kin beer before the game.
It's a great day/night.

Iamback

Coach

Nah it is all pokie den money

Like Panthers brand new 5 star hotel

Diesel

Referee
My guess is that they will definitely keep it, even if its for just the land value. I would hope that they end up developing it over time. I also hope they use whatever revenue to start building up further real estate.
The management in place is probably the strongest the club has ever had.
As a lifetime Sharks fan I can say that there has always been a bit of wariness from just about everyone whom has run the club, I do not get that feeling at all with this mob.
Was that purchased outright with development dollars or was a loan taken out?

Was that purchased outright with development dollars or was a loan taken out?

Sharks announce landmark agreement

Sharks Media
Wed 20 Mar 2019, 03:12 PM

Dear Members,

In a landmark agreement that will secure the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks financial future, the Cronulla Sharks Leagues Club has agreed to terms with partner Capital Bluestone on approximately a $40 million arrangement which will see the club sell our remaining interest in the Woolooware Bay Town Centre mixed-use development.

This agreement represents the start of a new era for the Sharks with unprecedented security for the club which will enact the strategic re-investment of funds, and of which will be underpinned by a highly experienced investment committee.

Under the leadership of a robust management and board the agreement also enables us to focus on our core operation, which is to create a Club that makes you, your family and friends feel welcome, while providing a range of services and support to our local community, including the Sharks Football Club.

It’s important to note the valued input and decisions of our board in 2012 for originally brokering the partnership with Capital Bluestone.

That relationship continues, with the company committed to delivering a new revitalised Leagues Club for our members, which is expected to be complete in 2021.

Commenced as a joint venture between the Sharks Leagues Club and Capital Bluestone in 2011, the Woolooware Bay Town Centre project comprises four stages. The agreement signed yesterday means the Sharks receive approximately $40 million under the arrangement for consideration of our agreed exit from the joint venture.

This includes $9 million for the land value of the future retail centre, $12.2 million for consideration of the air space above the retail centre, as well as an estimated $18 million for the balance of stage 3 residential sales. This is in addition to the approximately $18 million in development profits we’ve already received to date as a result of the development of the residential stages completed.

We acknowledge and thank our partner Capital Bluestone for working towards this successful outcome for both parties and for its ongoing support for the Sharks, including as a sponsor for the Football Club since 2011, its investment in the Sharks Have Heart initiative and as a supporter of the different community initiatives of our Leagues Club.

This agreement enables us to de-risk rather than divorce ourselves from the development. We still remain an active and engaged stakeholder in the Woolooware Bay Town Centre development and this includes managing the interior fit out for our new Club premises, which are expected to be complete in 2021. Of the final amount payable to the Sharks for our remaining interest in the development, $12 million will be held in an escrow account for use specifically to deliver the Leagues Club refurbishment.

Our involvement in the development has been a major success for our Club. Now, by selling our remaining interest to focus on the future, we’ve been able to strengthen our immediate financial position, secure our future through a revitalised Club premises to provide a strong recurring income stream and, importantly, realise investment returns on our capital.

Stages 1 and 2 of the Woolooware Bay development together comprise approximately 400 residential apartments, which are all complete and sold. We received an up-front payment of $10 million in 2012 and an additional $485,000 in profit distribution in 2017 for stage 1, and then $7.41 million in profit for stage 2, paid in 2018.

An agreement was made by the joint venture partners to postpone the development of the shopping centre, initially earmarked for these earlier stages, to focus on the delivery of residential apartments to capitalise on the strong performing residential market at the time. This strategy resulted in the Sharks receiving approximately $36 million in total for the development of the residential component, instead of approximately $25 million forecast under the original schedule.

Stage 3 comprises 238 apartments and nine town homes and is under construction, with completion scheduled for late 2019. with the $18 million balance to be paid by the end of April 2019.

Stage 4 will comprise 255 apartments, a 71-key hotel, an 18,000sqm shopping centre and a revitalised Sharks Leagues Club. Depending on residential sales and retail leasing, this final stage is expected to commence in late 2019.

Capital Bluestone has gone above and beyond its brief on this project to help our Club when required. Its support over the years has been strong and varied, from providing the Club revenue advances to help in difficult times.

While what is outlined above puts the Club in a strong financial position, there is still considerable work to be done to turn around the current trading performance of the club, which at present we can concede isn’t where it needs to be. We will require time to start closing the gap to profitability, with the boost from the Capital Bluestone injection of funds assisting in the process but certainly not solving all the current issues.

It will be the priority of the Board to use the development proceeds responsibly while reshaping our business model to ensure continued profitability long into the future.

Just to ensure clear and transparent communication on the joint venture, we have outlined below the history of the project. This deal puts the Club on a strong and steady path forward for the first time in years.

It’s an exciting time for the Cronulla Sharks and we thank you for your ongoing support.

Dino Mezzatesta
Chairman

THE CRONULLA SHARKS LEAGUES CLUB & CAPITAL BLUESTONE JOINT VENTURE AT WOOLOOWARE BAY

Timeline

2010:

• The Leagues Club Board identifies the potential for the sale and development of its land holdings at Woolooware Bay to secure the future of the Sharks.

• An expressions of interest process is undertaken to identify a development partner to work with the Sharks to develop its land holdings, which cover approximately 10 hectares.

2011:

• Bluestone Property Solutions (now Capital Bluestone) is appointed as the Club’s chosen development partner.

2012:

• Capital Bluestone advances Cronulla Sutherland Leagues Club a $10 million share of future revenue to pay down Club’s existing debt.

2013:

• Initial approvals for the town centre lodged, the first residential apartments and plans for the retail centre are approved.

2014:

• Work gets underway and the first residential stages are launched with a strong response from the market.

2015:

• The first two residential stages are sold out, one of the stage three buildings is too.

2016:

• Construction progresses well. Stage 1 is completed and stage 2 gets underway.

2017:

• Woolworths and Dan Murphy’s agree to leases in the forthcoming retail centre.

2018:

• Construction continues as stage 2 is complete and stage 3 is commenced, however the residential market downturn means apartment sales in stage 3 slow.

2019:

• Construction of stage 3 to be complete and stage 4 to be launched. Stage 4 includes apartments as well as Bay Central shopping centre, a hotel, revitalised Sharks Leagues Club and more parking.

Key figures

• Due to the staged timing of the first residential stages, total revenue from the residential component paid to the Sharks totals approximately $36 million instead of the $25 million initially forecast under the original schedule.

• This is separate to the additional $21.2 million, to be paid to the Sharks for consideration of the land and air space value for the lot on which the retail component will be developed.

• Of this, $12.2 million will be set aside and specifically used for the club’s new interior refurbishment.

• Estimated total return to the Sharks as a result of the development of the residential component:

Stage 1 - Upfront Payment: $10,000,000

Stage 1 - Profit distribution: $485,000

Stage 2 - Profit distribution: $7,410,000

Stage 3 - Profit distribution (forward advanced): $18,000,000

Total amount payable to Sharks for residential component: $35,895,000

Land and air space value (stage 4): $21.2 million

Total value of Sharks involvement in the development: $57,095,000

• The estimated end value of the revitalised Sharks Leagues Club is $5.15 million

Pneuma

First Grade
Oh ffs, can someone tell Donko that the question was asked about the Golf Club, not the Leagues Club. Which we own anyway.
I think the donk is massively insane. I hope perth red likes his post. They make a wonderful couple. This thread has reached a new level of lunacy.

I'll quote a post that the simpleton left in the expansion forum to demonstrate what sort of person we're dealing with:

I can see the PNG bid leaving Perth for dead. Why bother with an afl state when we have a rugby league country wanting a team?

According to DFAT, less than 15% of Papua New Guineans have access to electricity and 80% of the population lives off subsistence farming with little to no disposable income. GDP per capita in PNG is just USD2,757 and has gone backwards since 2014.

The simpleton who thinks PNG is a better candidate for an NRL team than Perth made his delusional post after the DFAT information was presented to him. It doesn't matter how many facts are presented to the idiot to refute his bizarre claims. He continues to believe them because he wants them to be true.

Pneuma

First Grade
I'll quote a post that the simpleton left in the expansion forum to demonstrate what sort of person we're dealing with:

According to DFAT, less than 15% of Papua New Guineans have access to electricity and 80% of the population lives off subsistence farming with little to no disposable income. GDP per capita in PNG is just USD2,757 and has gone backwards since 2014.

The simpleton who thinks PNG is a better candidate for an NRL team than Perth made his delusional post after the DFAT information was presented to him. It doesn't matter how many facts are presented to the idiot to refute his bizarre claims. He continues to believe them because he wants them to be true.

More abuse in the guise of a post? Moderators do your job!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Lol 5 star hotels at Penrith and Shark Park? Dont kid yourselves, you’re Sydney Novotel, not Paris Hilton

Latest posts