What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

Old Timer

Coach
The worst part about this thread is the way people latch onto the negative rumours with little to no substance and then pay out on the club.

We are bagged for those we supposedly don't put bids on and then get bagged for those we supposedly do put bids on.

The simple fact is very few people know the truth of who we do or do not approach and being able to bag the club is the sole criteria for far too many when comes to posting.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
FFS it's a bullshit rumour for starters he is not even at Souths left in 21 dogs then let him go half way thru a contract he has no club.
But let's lose our shit because some random shared a Facebook rumour from some other flogg
Hey, easy JD, I'm not THAT random! And I DID say it was a rumour.

kit66

Bench
The worst part about this thread is the way people latch onto the negative rumours with little to no substance and then pay out on the club.

We are bagged for those we supposedly don't put bids on and then get bagged for those we supposedly do put bids on.

The simple fact is very few people know the truth of who we do or do not approach and being able to bag the club is the sole criteria for far too many when comes to posting.

Two words - Our Roster.

The club deserves whatever abuse we throw at them. 11 years of this bullshit and no end in sight.
If we try to sign someone good I'll applaud it whether we succeed or not but our track record lately has been beyond pathetic and there are no excuses for it, not when 2 bottom 4 teams seem more than capable of many excellent signings virtually overnight.

Dragons4me

Juniors
I still there's potential in this team. The test will be keeping our best 17 fit and healthy all season. Keep the dumb penalties to a minimum. Finish each game without players having spent 10 in the bin. Undertake a pre-season rutual burial of the 2022 game plan of 5 hit-ups and kick on the 6th and throw caution to the wind with play with some flair
I'll take whatever results come our way by year end if we just give the young blokes a go and try something different. You just never know!
I'm heading out to Belmore tomorrow to watch the next generation of Dragons. I'm actually looking forward to it!

Old Timer

Coach
Two words - Our Roster.

The club deserves whatever abuse we throw at them. 11 years of this bullshit and no end in sight.
If we try to sign someone good I'll applaud it whether we succeed or not but our track record lately has been beyond pathetic and there are no excuses for it, not when 2 bottom 4 teams seem more than capable of many excellent signings virtually overnight.
Blame the f**king Gordon's not the club.

They could make things happen TPA wise and they just refuse to do anything whilst other cellar dweller clubs are now following the Uncle Nick way to do things.

FMD the billionaire that spent nothing is at the core of why we can't compete.

Little to no wonder we have no recruitment guy I can just imagine the following scenario.

Recruitment person: Hi, Bruce we just found out that big Nelson is available.

Gordon: Oh that's great what will he cost in the cap?

Recruitment person: Well we have the money in the cap already so no problem there.

Gordon: So we signed him did we?

Recruitment guy: No not yet?

Gordon: Why not?

Recruitment guy: Well we need to top up his pay packet to match that what he gets now plus a little bit more so we need a few $$ from our benefactor. to do that.
Click
Hello Bruce, hello, is anyone there.

It is high time that we realised the simple fact that managing the cap is no where enough to secure top players.

Hook is in fact managing the cap and getting it under control to put us in better shape but neither he or anybody else for that matter has any sway over the Gordon's.

So if the Gordon's who are major shareholders spend SFA then why would any other party want to do any TPA's?

If the major shareholders are not willing to spend a $ and show no belief in what we are doing there is little to no hope of anyone else stumping up $$.

possm

Coach
No use talking about Croft as he won't be coming anyway but the club will be searching high and low for a back up half in my opinion but if Sullivan is fit, he will be the first choice to play alongside Hunt in the spine in first grade.
In the backs, we have lost a good robust Fullback. I see Sloan as a possible five-eighth and feel Hunt should play hooker.

Crush

Coach

They could make things happen TPA wise and they just refuse to do anything whilst other cellar dweller clubs are now following the Uncle Nick way to do things.

Little to no wonder we have no recruitment guy I can just imagine the following scenario.

Recruitment person: Well we have the money in the cap already so no problem there.

Recruitment guy: Well we need to top up his pay packet to match that what he gets now plus a little bit more so we need a few $$ from our benefactor. to do that.
Click

It is high time that we realised the simple fact that managing the cap is no where enough to secure top players.

Hook is in fact managing the cap and getting it under control to put us in better shape but neither he or anybody else for that matter has any sway over the Gordon's.

So if the Gordon's who are major shareholders spend SFA then why would any other party want to do any TPA's?

If the major shareholders are not willing to spend a $ and show no belief in what we are doing there is little to no hope of anyone else stumping up $$.
It’s everything. It’s the owners, it’s the club, it’s the culture, it’s the fans, the entire organisation is a toxic disaster zone at the moment.
It’ll turn around in time, but we’re heading towards rock bottom now, a few years of being the easy beats of the comp coming up. It’ll be worse than you’ve ever seen in your long career of supporting the red v.
But, footy is still on, it’ll be interesting to see how some of the other teams go. Hopefully Dolphins go alright, I like Wayne.
Can Warriors make something of their season with a new coach and some roster movement?
I’ll be deathriding the knights, can’t stand their coach.
Kinda hoping the Tigers go well, love Benji, he’s got a bit of magic about him.
Dogs will be interesting to watch, they’ll want to make the eight this year or it’s a fail.
Sharkies, be great to see them fail but soft draw, they’ll win plenty. They have a big home ground advantage, it’s hard to win there.
Raiders can make the top 4 if they get it right.
Roosters will win the competition for me.

possm

Coach
Who do you think is doing our recruiting? I'll tell you who I think is doing it and why?

In my opinion, Haran has taken on the role. Why because he was offered a pay rise to do so.

There are people within our club and more widely within the NRL, who want to see the Dragons relocate completely to the Gong. Neighboring clubs and jealous officials would like to see our GF history reduced to one premiership and our junior district of St George to be shared among the likes of Cronulla, Souths, and Canterbury.

I'd say the Gordons are all in for this to happen.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
In the backs, we have lost a good robust Fullback. I see Sloan as a possible five-eighth and feel Hunt should play hooker.
Hi possm

I'd like to see how things pan out during the first 4-5 weeks of the competition proper before I make any assessment as to where some of our guys should be positioned in the team. Sloan has built up quite considerably from reports so if Hook puts him in the No.1 jumper, I'd like to see what he is like in those early games. He has spoken to some people who I know and he said that he is dead set keen to get stronger and greatly improve on his all round game. We will have to wait and see. I hope that he has a good run in the Indigenous v Maori game and that he doesn't suffer any injury.

If Sullivan isn't 100% fit to start in round 2 then I'm sure that Hook will put someone in the 5/8th position that is capable until Sullivan is fit and ready again.

Dragon David

First Grade
I know that our recruitment is quiet and those that we have recently signed are not top billing but my feel is that the club is working more with the juniors and that they recognise the potential those juniors have to succeed in first grade one day.

Souths have not recruited anyone new for 2023 and they are basing their strategy on their juniors, several of who have already tasted the toughness of first grade.

It is a pity that we don't have Demetriou coaching our team.

Dragon David

First Grade
It’s everything. It’s the owners, it’s the club, it’s the culture, it’s the fans, the entire organisation is a toxic disaster zone at the moment.
It’ll turn around in time, but we’re heading towards rock bottom now, a few years of being the easy beats of the comp coming up. It’ll be worse than you’ve ever seen in your long career of supporting the red v.
But, footy is still on, it’ll be interesting to see how some of the other teams go. Hopefully Dolphins go alright, I like Wayne.
Can Warriors make something of their season with a new coach and some roster movement?
Dogs will be interesting to watch, they’ll want to make the eight this year or it’s a fail.
Sharkies, be great to see them fail but soft draw, they’ll win plenty. They have a big home ground advantage, it’s hard to win there.
Without going over each one of your points Crush, your final one about the Roosters is my prediction as well for 2023. Solid all through the squad. Souths also to be amongst the contenders for the premiership.

Old Timer

Coach
The intriguing part for me will be what happens with these 4 teams and I expect all to perform worse than last year.

Manly (Siebold factor + Flanno the dud))
Broncos (A basket case of a club and worse nepotism than us)
Raiders (Sticky factor and ageing roster)
Storm (How significant is the loss of 4 mature & performing forwards)

The other intrigue will be

Dogs (No guarantee anything they have done will pan out on the field as Gus is a divisive control freak) so not sure they make the 8
Tigers (A long time since Sheen's coached at this level and not so sure he brings that much to the table)
Cowboys (They had the best of it last year and can they repeat that mighty effort especially if they cop a few losses and injuries early in the season) although I do suspect TP can coach.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I know that our recruitment is quiet and those that we have recently signed are not top billing but my feel is that the club is working more with the juniors and that they recognise the potential those juniors have to succeed in first grade one day.

Souths have not recruited anyone new for 2023 and they are basing their strategy on their juniors, several of who have already tasted the toughness of first grade.

It is a pity that we don't have Demetriou coaching our team.
That’s a great medium term strategy… but…will result in some medium term pain ie next couple of seasons

Dragon David

First Grade
That’s a great medium term strategy… but…will result in some medium term pain ie next couple of seasons
True twinkletoes but other than doing what the Dogs have done, which unfortunately imo won't happen at our club because of the lack of clout our recruiters have in the marketplace and our current perception by others of our club, our nursery of younger guys is quite good and so suffering medium term pain might have to happen.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

Click

So let me get this right, you want us to cheat, The club isn't responsible for 3rd party deals nor is Gordon, that's for the manager the guy who gets 6-10% of the players pay packet to organise that, if your scenario panned out with Gordon organising 3rd party deals and we got found out, everyone would be up in arms about it and giving it to the club etc for cheating and wanting them sacked..

denis preston

First Grade
So let me get this right, you want us to cheat, The club isn't responsible for 3rd party deals nor is Gordon, that's for the manager the guy who gets 6-10% of the players pay packet to organise that, if your scenario panned out with Gordon organising 3rd party deals and we got found out, everyone would be up in arms about it and giving it to the club etc for cheating and wanting them sacked..

I come on, do you really think Rorters & BulldogS are playing by the rules? How could anyone prove a private discussion between the Gordon’s and their tv advertisers happened?

Latest posts