What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
Yes its funny how for years people have mocked the AFL having to prop up Sydney teams, now its the NRL whose propping up more lol

Swans bring in (2021 covid impacted)
$12.8mill memberships and game day takings
$15.2mill sponsorships
$0.5mill merch

Thats $28.5mill in football operations in a covid year. I doubt theres a Sydney NRL club even close to that. Hence why the grant has to keep going up at expense of other areas of the game.

Not all of that would be Sydney though.

They still sell off stuff to former South Melbourne fans, It is why these things are never straight forward.

NRL clubs run player development atleast so it is justified

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not all of that would be Sydney though.

They still sell off stuff to former South Melbourne fans, It is why these things are never straight forward.

NRL clubs run player development atleast so it is justified
Not all sydneys NRL club fans and members are in sydney either.
Swans Melbourne membership is about 20% of overall members, but most would be non ticketed I presume.
Dont the Swans run an academy?

Most Sydney clubs would be lucky to realise half of that revenue, no wonder they constantly have the begging bowl out. For example the club riding high at the top of the NRL at the moment only generates half the revenue across those same areas in a premiership winning period. Id love to know how in 2022 Swans generated $20.4mill in corporate support and Panthers only managed $6.4million!

After the tv disaster Vlandys had to buy his seat and upping the grant from $3mill above cap to $5mill above cap appeased the clubs nicely.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yes its funny how for years people have mocked the AFL having to prop up Sydney teams, now its the NRL whose propping up more lol

Swans bring in (2021 covid impacted)
$12.8mill memberships and game day takings
$15.2mill sponsorships
$0.5mill merch

Thats $28.5mill in football operations in a covid year. I doubt theres a Sydney NRL club even close to that. Hence why the grant has to keep going up at expense of other areas of the game.
I knew its your favourite subject, but this is a rugby league site. I'm sure there are other forums out there that cater for AFL fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I knew its your favourite subject, but this is a rugby league site. I'm sure there are other forums out there that cater for AFL fans.
You might want to have a word with the AFL obsessed on here who keep bringing them up first lol The fact he liked your post is even more ironic :)

So now every Sydney nrl club (and every other club) receives a higher grant than the swans get from afl house

Iamback

Coach
Swans Melbourne membership is about 20% of overall members, but most would be non ticketed I presume.

Most Sydney clubs would be lucky to realise half of that revenue, no wonder they constantly have the begging bowl out. For example the club riding high at the top of the NRL at the moment only generates half the revenue across those same areas in a premiership winning period. Id love to know how in 2022 Swans generated $20.4mill in corporate support and Panthers only managed $6.4million!

After the tv disaster Vlandys had to buy his seat and upping the grant from $3mill above cap to $5mill above cap appeased the clubs nicely.

Because the Panthers share their corporate stuff with 8 other clubs, Combine the Sydney corporate support for RL compared to AFL

Pneuma

First Grade

Back to whining like a sick cow about V’landys?. I knew the peace wouldn’t last.

Wb1234

Referee
Because the Panthers share their corporate stuff with 8 other clubs, Combine the Sydney corporate support for RL compared to AFL
Wait is Perth dead trying to bag the panthers ?

the club that invests 3 million a year in juniors and gets kids from the area who played for their juniors and who are proud to represent where they come from ?

wow

this is the guy that wants a club in an afl state which will produce few juniors of its own and he thinks that’s the kind of club the nrl should be adding

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wait is Perth dead trying to bag the panthers ?

the club that invests 3 million a year in juniors and gets kids from the area who played for their juniors and who are proud to represent where they come from ?

wow

this is the guy that wants a club in an afl state which will produce few juniors of its own and he thinks that’s the kind of club the nrl should be adding
pokies fund all that lol. Panthers are pretty shthouse at making money from rugby league it would seem.

Iamback

Coach
Ah the over saturation problem, got it, thanks. I guess must be same in Melbourne?

What do AFL clubs spend on Junior development? but yes they are moving home games elsewhere that only happens when you need a new revenue source

I'd take my club
who owns their academy,
Is even funding a women's comp ( including professional coaching ), despite having no NRLW side
Drops $3m a year into player development
in 6 months will have a 2nd hotel and a conference centre

Over almost any side in the country in any sport too, RL fans like to whinge but the clubs and game are very well off

Wb1234

Referee
What do AFL clubs spend on Junior development? but yes they are moving home games elsewhere that only happens when you need a new revenue source

I'd take my club
who owns their academy,
Is even funding a women's comp ( including professional coaching ), despite having no NRLW side

Over almost any side in the country in any sport too, RL fans like to whinge but the clubs and game are very well off
He’s take your club too if he could

MugaB

Coach
Back to whining like a sick cow about V’landys?. I knew the peace wouldn’t last.
That coz your started advocating for NSW centric mindset on this forum to get f'd, so PR was just letting you ramble on, but as soon as went and conceded that you were done with throwing stuff over the fence, he was back to piling back on PVL again

Pneuma

First Grade
That coz your started advocating for NSW centric mindset on this forum to get f'd, so PR was just letting you ramble on, but as soon as went and conceded that you were done with throwing stuff over the fence, he was back to piling back on PVL again
Stop sooking you goose. What a rant hahahaha!

MugaB

Coach
pokies fund all that lol. Panthers are pretty shthouse at making money from rugby league it would seem.
Yeah maybe due to funding their own community comps, something that is lacking in perth, and something the the other NRL clubs are only now realizing they should have been doing for the last 10 years, and are also now hands out to the government for shiny new COEs.. yeah but put shit on the Panthers for taking the initiative to fund their own shit, before it was a thing to do

Perth Red

Post Whore

I'd take my club
who owns their academy,

As you asked (lol) the two Perth AFL clubs fund the WAFC around $5-10mil a year (variable depending on how they are performing). The eagles alone have given over $100mill to grassroots in last 20 years. And that's proper grassroots, not elite programs that are designed to only benefit the NRl club.

There's no doubt its in probably the healthiest position since before SL. Took 25 years but were finally getting back there. The lack of funding to grassroots and the cuts Im hearing have occurred remain a key issue moving forward.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah maybe due to funding their own community comps, something that is lacking in perth, and something the the other NRL clubs are only now realizing they should have been doing for the last 10 years, and are also now hands out to the government for shiny new COEs.. yeah but put shit on the Panthers for taking the initiative to fund their own shit, before it was a thing to do
Panthers dont fund the local community comps. They give them a bit of inkind office space and that's it. All they fund is their own elite pathways programs which benefits them as a business. Lets not pretend they are some philanthropic group throwing buckets of cash to help ten year olds who want to play RL lol.

Latest posts