What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If perth is such a can't miss home run for nrl expansion..?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The last interview with Puddy confirming his intention to bid and his preliminary talks with WA Govt and NRL, for those perpetuating lies theres no potential bid teams come forward:

News Corp can reveal WA bid boss, Laurie Puddy, the inaugural Reds chairman, has met ARLC chairman Peter V’landys about Perth becoming the NRL’s 18th franchise.
In an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph, Puddy outlined how and why Perth should be rugby league’s next expansion franchise.

WHY PERTH

Puddy claimed the team would be known as the Western Reds and play at HBF Stadium, previously known as Perth Oval, and home of the Perth Glory A-League side, while blockbusters could be moved to the 60,000-seat Optus Stadium. He even predicted his club would attract home crowds of 20,000.
“The only thing that has changed since the Western Reds is the desire from the NRL to say: ‘Let’s do Perth again’. I can’t understand why the hierarchy doesn’t see it,” he said. “It would make it a national competition and the two-hour time change makes sense for broadcasters.

“Souths go over there on a regular basis. Manly, Canterbury. They know the crowds they can pull – 20,000-plus. They get 5000 to 10,000 more people at Perth than they would do at a home game.
“Back in 1995, the population of WA was about 1.3 million. The population of Perth today is nearly three million.
“We had 24,000 people at our first game (in 1995) and averaged around 15,400 thereafter, and that was playing at the WACA, which is a cricket ground. “I have business contacts and colleagues sitting in Perth waiting for something to happen. All they say is: “Laurie, when is it going to happen?’ Support for the game isn’t in question. Why wouldn’t Perth be a success? We have done it before.

“Some experts are talking about playing in places like PNG. That’s offensive.
“If we couldn’t get 20,000 a game then I’m a bad judge. Back in 1994-95, we were inundated with support from sponsors.

“I have had a meeting with Peter (V’landys). There was nothing to come of it, although we agreed to meet again. That hasn’t transpired yet with Covid and, of course, he has had his hands full. I respect that.
“What we have to do first is get in front of Peter again and Andrew (Abdo, NRL CEO) and have a serious discussion about Western Australia.”

ADMISSION DATE

Puddy was adamant he and his bid team could build the entire club inside two years.
“It would take us two years,” he said. “It took us two years last time and it would take us two years again. You’d want (entry) in 2024.
“I would drive it (the bid) but you might find there are other people in Perth who would want to have a crack too. The answer is we need to get a team into Perth.

“I’ve talked to the WA Government and they would open their arms to us and help in any way to get us back and get us a ground. They would talk to us about how we could develop our own high performance centre.

“I was at the (2018) State of Origin in Perth, there were 60,000 people there. And you know the thing that amazed me?
“The amount of people walking into the ground wearing Western Reds gear. It was amazing. That should tell the hierarchy that there is a demand for rugby league at that level in Perth.

“Why would you want to change (the Reds name)? Why come up with another name when the people in Perth still relate to the Reds?”
Pressed on whether a club could be ready and accepted by 2024, Puddy said: “Absolutely, absolutely.”

PAST HISTORY

The Reds’ death came after Super League and the ARL merged clubs into a 20-team competition known as the NRL. Perth officials felt they were victims of a war out of their control.

“We have to clear up some misconceptions – the Western Reds didn’t fail,” Puddy said. “People have been quick to say the Reds failed. The Reds were caught up in a war between News Ltd and the ARL. We need to clear up the history.

“Some of the critics are of the belief that Perth failed. They didn’t fail at all.
“We had to pay not only for our teams to travel, feed them and accommodation, but we also had to pay for the teams coming to Perth. We flew all the teams in – paid for everything — and we still didn’t go broke.

“We had a viable business. The first year we were one game out of the eight.
“We built a team in two years and brought them in from everywhere – England, New Zealand, Europe. It wasn’t a five-minute exercise.

“We were happy with the way it was going and it was going to be a success story. John Ribot was in control of the Storm at that stage and he took about five or six of our best players to Melbourne. We were doing very well until the war came along.”

NRL RESPONSE

While noncommittal, Abdo did concede Perth could be an option if the NRL expanded to 18 clubs.
“In the long-term, if there was further expansion, the ARLC would consider all options – from Western Australia to New Zealand and the Pacific,” Abdo said. “There are so many opportunities. Why would you want to exclude anywhere?
“We’ve also indicated to both the Firehawks and the Jets that the ARLC remains open to reconsidering their bids in the future.

“Our focus for now is making sure we have a successful move to 17 teams in 2023, across all aspects, football, commercial and participation. The consideration of a move to 18 teams would be a strategic long-term one for the ARLC in the future.
“Right now our priority is ensuring the successful expansion of the NRLW to six teams and the NRL to 17 teams.”

AFL TIDAL WAVE

Puddy was irritated when told rugby league would struggle to compete for fans and the corporate dollar in an AFL-mad city.
“That’s rubbish,” he said. “The fans follow their AFL sides but when you look at the population in Perth, and see where they come from, there is a desire for rugby league — and we have to give it to them.

“Why do we have success when we go and play State of Origin in Perth? Or Souths games? They don’t take the fans with them. They happen to be there.

“As I said to Peter V’landys, in 1995-96, we had the third-biggest selling merchandise in the whole bloody competition.

I don't believe Puddy when he says the Reds were able to cover the costs of flying teams into Perth and providing them with accommodation. It was the reason they jumped to Super League.

The West Coast Eagles became destitute in the 80s from flying teams into Perth. They were bailed out by Indian Pacific.

The ARL set the Reds up to fail because the Sydney clubs didn't want to cover the travel expenses of flying their teams into Perth and Townsville.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't believe Puddy when he says the Reds were able to cover the costs of flying teams into Perth and providing them with accommodation. It was the reason they jumped to Super League.

The West Coast Eagles became destitute in the 80s from flying teams into Perth. They were bailed out by Indian Pacific.

The ARL set the Reds up to fail because the Sydney clubs didn't want to cover the travel expenses of flying their teams into Perth and Townsville.
The business case was built on covering two teams. They felt they could cover that and still be sustainable. The problem arose when at the 11th hour the ARL dropped on them they would be expected to do the same for a third team. That's what broke the camels back and drove some of the board to SL who where offering silly money sponsorship of the club (hence why Cash Convertors went to Sunday Times main sponsor in 1996). Some of the board wanted to stick with ARL, it was very acrimonious across the game in WA and drove it into the ground. Going from having a popular top flight club and 10,000 players to no club, lost grassroots clubs and less than 1000 players in a space of 5 years!

I'm not sure of Puddy's (Reds chairman) and Cumins (Reds main financial backer) relationship at the end of it so would be interesting to know if they get on or not, especially in terms of joining forces in a future bid. I've not seen any indication they intend to so maybe that was one of the breakdowns still not mended from that era?

The business case was built on covering two teams. They felt they could cover that and still be sustainable. The problem arose when at the 11th hour the ARL dropped on them they would be expected to do the same for a third team. That's what broke the camels back and drove some of the board to SL who where offering silly money sponsorship of the club (hence why Cash Convertors went to Sunday Times main sponsor in 1996). Some of the board wanted to stick with ARL, it was very acrimonious across the game in WA and drove it into the ground. Going from having a popular top flight club and 10,000 players to no club, lost grassroots clubs and less than 1000 players in a space of 5 years!

I'm not sure of Puddy's (Reds chairman) and Cumins (Reds main financial backer) relationship at the end of it so would be interesting to know if they get on or not, especially in terms of joining forces in a future bid. I've not seen any indication they intend to so maybe that was one of the breakdowns still not mended from that era?

A Perth team needs to have Puddy or Cummins involved. They've played a strong role in keeping the sport going over there since 98.

Not a big fan of american sitcoms, always found them a poor second To English humour And the canned laughter used to annoy me.
Seinfeld was a bit different to the normal US sitcom. It was generally very funny, plus it was actually a cultural being.
I mean if I say these things:
Soup Nazi
Hello Neeewmann
Bubble Boy
'Believe it or not George isn't at home'
They're fantastic, and they're real
Not that there's anything wrong with that
Etc, etc, etc

These phrases can be used to this day and a great deal of people will piss themselves laughing.
Case in point: "DEVILLLLLSSSS!"

Kind if like if I say these things, you will find it amusing, my family were big into Brit comedy on the TV when I was growing up.
Sambo
Oh Eddie...
I'll have a 'alf!
I'll get you Butler
George and Mildred

Actually, PR, you may find Curb Your Enthusiasm more to your taste. No canned laughter. Larry David's 'character' is more along the lines of Gervais in The Office and Extras.

Anyway,
Back to why Perth shouldn't be in the comp?? Haha.

Latest posts