What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
I'm just pointing out Matterson is our starting lock. He is also not far off origin level. I'm confused why fans think Hopgood will be handed his spot automatically. It would be great if he surpasses Mattersons level. Great for us fans and our team.

But I wouldn't get carried away. He is NRL level. Im certain of that. And that's more then I can say about Doorey (Who likely is NRL level) or Moimesea who I reckon might be a flop and in NSW cup most the time.

Murchie I am also certain is an NRL level player.
Matterson only started at lock 5 times in 2022. He also started 3 times in the 2nd row.
The remaining 15 games he started from the bench. In those 15 games, Nrown, Niukore and Papali'i started at lock (regardless of the numbers they wore).

Chipmunk

Coach
Farnsworth might be getting the opportunity to play fullback, similar to a couple of other blokes who felt they were wasted in the centres, Mitchell and Crichton.
Sure, but I'd imagine the same thing was said to Tesi Niu and the Hammer, who are likely all getting starting 13 money too, along with other Centres, Brenko Lee and Euan Aitken.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm just pointing out Matterson is our starting lock.
Niukore finished the year as our starting lock, with Matterson off the bench. When Niukore came back onto the field Matterson was still there, so we obviously have room for two 'locks' in our structure.

It's actually Paulo and RCG who tend to interchange with each other after Paulo's first break. If you take the example of the Cowboys preliminary final, the rotation looked like this. Pay attention to the interchanges on either side of halftime:

24m: Paulo off, replaced by Kaufusi
32m: RCG off, replaced by Paulo
51m: Paulo off, replaced by RCG

63m: Matterson off, replaced by Paulo
74m: Paulo off, replaced by Kaufusi
76m: RCG off, replaced by Paulo

Paulo is the only middle forward in our team who regularly plays in three stints (four including the halftime break). This allows him to play long minutes (his longest stint is the initial 24 minutes followed by three of about 10 minutes), while also allowing us to always have at least one of Paulo and RCG on the field.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sure, but I'd imagine the same thing was said to Tesi Niu and the Hammer, who are likely all getting starting 13 money too, along with other Centres, Brenko Lee and Euan Aitken.
Well Aitken can play in the forwards, and Niu and Gildart are both off contract. That said, HTF is probably wasted anywhere other than fullback. But let's not forget the Roosters are stacked with fullbacks. They make it work. Farnsworth is similar to Manu, in that their strength is just running the ball a pass or two off the ruck, rather than playing out the back of shape like a fullback.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Niukore finished the year as our starting lock, with Matterson off the bench. When Niukore came back onto the field Matterson was still there, so we obviously have room for two 'locks' in our structure.

It's actually Paulo and RCG who tend to interchange with each other after Paulo's first break. If you take the example of the Cowboys preliminary final, the rotation looked like this. Pay attention to the interchanges on either side of halftime:

24m: Paulo off, replaced by Kaufusi
32m: RCG off, replaced by Paulo
51m: Paulo off, replaced by RCG

63m: Matterson off, replaced by Paulo
74m: Paulo off, replaced by Kaufusi
76m: RCG off, replaced by Paulo

Paulo is the only middle forward in our team who regularly plays in three stints (four including the halftime break). This allows him to play long minutes (his longest stint is the initial 24 minutes followed by three of about 10 minutes), while also allowing us to always have at least one of Paulo and RCG on the field.
BA has learnt from 2020.

I think it was the semi against Souths that year when RCG and Paulo were both off we lost control after half-time in that game. By the time they both returned souths had momentum and the lead then we shot ourselves with some dumb mistakes to finish off.

yy_cheng

Coach
BA has learnt from 2020.

I think it was the semi against Souths that year when RCG and Paulo were both off we lost control after half-time in that game. By the time they both returned souths had momentum and the lead then we shot ourselves with some dumb mistakes to finish off.
At least we finished

Chipmunk

Coach
Well Aitken can play in the forwards, and Niu and Gildart are both off contract. That said, HTF is probably wasted anywhere other than fullback. But let's not forget the Roosters are stacked with fullbacks. They make it work. Farnsworth is similar to Manu, in that their strength is just running the ball a pass or two off the ruck, rather than playing out the back of shape like a fullback.
The Dolphins don't really have that style of fullback as one of their 4-5 options either.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Last year we lost alot when the props came off.
They don’t both came off though. However, even with one off, it means there is a fair chunk of the cap sitting on the bench. I'd say that's the case for every team with big money forwards. Penrith have two (though Yeo plays 80 minutes) and I'm sure their defence isn't as good when JFH is off the field.
Marata wasnt that good at 13.
Well while he was on the field with Paulo and RCG he wouldn't have been getting much ball.

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
They never both came off though, but even with one off means there is a fair chunk of the cap sitting on the bench. I'd say that's the case for every team with big money forwards. Penrith have two (though Yeo plays 80 minutes) and I'm sure their defence isn't as good when JFH is off the field.

Well while he was on the field with Paulo and RCG he wouldn't have been getting much ball.
Not sure if I'm right coz my memory is shoddy.

I think early on to mid season they came off together.

Then he staggered it with jnr off first then rcg at the 30 and junz came back on

strider

Post Whore
Matterson only started at lock 5 times in 2022. He also started 3 times in the 2nd row.
The remaining 15 games he started from the bench. In those 15 games, Nrown, Niukore and Papali'i started at lock (regardless of the numbers they wore).
I dont think the position is called lock anymore .... its third roe ffs