What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Centy Coast

Juniors
Can’t wait to watch todays TV game Bulldogs v Tigers lol, can’t believe the Tigers are on TV again after last weekends debacle.
Wyong would’ve beaten the Tigers last weekend.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I went through all that a couple of pages ago, don’t blame me if you can’t keep up with the conversation.
Sorry that I don’t live on these threads, just thought you might have them within reach, I’ll back track when I get the opportunity then.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry that I don’t live on these threads, just thought you might have them within reach, I’ll back track when I get the opportunity then.
There is a bid consortium led by Cumins (previous Reds and now NRLWA sponsor) and others. Cumins has a strong relationship with Sackson and the NRLWA.
Cash Convertors has a turn over of $245mill and a profit line of $19mill, $315mill in equity, so he's not short of a few $'s.

Back in 2010 Cumins, a number of Perth businessmen, the WA sports minister and the WARL joined forces to form the WA Reds bid. I was involved on the periphery of this bid rallying the RL supporters to the cause

In 2012 with the news Sage was also planning a bid this group changed the bid brand to the West Coast Pirates bid.

That is the only one you can be 100% sure is working on a bid now.

Puddy (ex Reds Chairman) has talked numerous times about having a number of backers who would be willing to join him in a bid to resurrect the Western Reds. He got his hands on the IP for the Reds in 2018 (I presume it is him). Last time we heard from him was Oct 2021 but wouldn't surprise me if he's still working behind the scenes on a bid.

Sage I fully expect to have another crack. He registered West Coast/Perth/Western Quokkas in 2021as a brand and sees an NRL club as a way of helping with his overhead costs for Glory. One administration running both clubs. He is on record as stating he has no interest in partnering with the Bears.

Beyond that who knows who else might be out there. Im sure if there are the WA Govt now vetting which bid they will partner with has brought them out of the woodwork. They've been able to keep it all very secret since that committee was formed in Oct last year.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
There is a bid consortium led by Cumins (previous Reds and now NRLWA sponsor) and others. Cumins has a strong relationship with Sackson and the NRLWA.
Cash Convertors has a turn over of $245mill and a profit line of $19mill, $315mill in equity, so he's not short of a few $'s.

Back in 2010 Cumins, a number of Perth businessmen, the WA sports minister and the WARL joined forces to form the WA Reds bid. I was involved on the periphery of this bid rallying the RL supporters to the cause

In 2012 with the news Sage was also planning a bid this group changed the bid brand to the West Coast Pirates bid.

Puddy (ex Reds Chairman) has talked numerous times about having a number of backers who would be willing to join him in a bid to resurrect the Western Reds. He got his hands on the IP for the Reds in 2018 (I presume it is him). Last time we heard from him was Oct 2021 but wouldn't surprise me if he's still working behind the scenes on a bid.

Sage I fully expect to have another crack. He registered West Coast/Perth/Western Quokkas in 2021as a brand and sees an NRL club as a way of helping with his overhead costs for Glory. One administration running both clubs. He is on record as stating he has no interest in partnering with the Bears.

Beyond that who knows who else might be out there. Im sure if there are the WA Govt now vetting which bid they will partner with has brought them out of the woodwork. They've been able to keep it all very secret since that committee was formed in Oct last year.
You must be nervous though when all we hear talked about is everyone but the W.A. bids.
Personally, I think W.A. is a no-brainer, especially from the national broadcast reach angle, but given V`landy`s propensity to take advantage of Gov`t largesse, and having a Fed Gov`t who seems pretty willing to stump up, this may be swaying their thinking.
Still the lack of Perth references is worrying.

Wb1234

Referee

Now you mention cash converters after I reminded you

lmao

Perth Red

Post Whore
You must be nervous though when all we hear talked about is everyone but the W.A. bids.
Personally, I think W.A. is a no-brainer, especially from the national broadcast reach angle, but given V`landy`s propensity to take advantage of Gov`t largesse, and having a Fed Gov`t who seems pretty willing to stump up, this may be swaying their thinking.
Still the lack of Perth references is worrying.
No, it’s rugba league I expect little and am rarely dissapointed. If we get a club great, if we don’t so be it, life goes on.

you’ve also got to remember all this reporting is coming out of Sydney so no surprise there’s certain biases and slants to it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It’s like he hasn’t done his homework to realise what the bears are proposing is nothing like the lions and swans models. Rl journos and opinionists are such lazy things when it comes to digging below the surface of stories.
It's really f**king annoying just how lazy they are, especially when it comes to expansion.

The same thing happened with the Dolphins, Firehawks, and Ipswich bids as well if you remember.

It was a joke the amount assumptions made by journalists about those bids that became "facts" just as a virtue of how many times they were repeated, and most of the time the accurate information was freely accessible as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
So besides the WA Government who are the other serious bidders in WA you mention but never name ?, I’m just curious.
The NRL are the only people the Bears need to negotiate with at the moment.

If anything local partners or mergers will only complicate things for them, and whether or not they were endorsed by local authorities will be quickly forgotten if/when they get a license. The Bears could set up an NRL side in basically any location in the Australasian region within the space of a few months, all they need is for the NRL to give them some direction on where they want that side to be.

They know all this as well, it's why you don't hear them discussing the possibilities of merging with other consortiums anymore unless it's brought up by other people.

That's not to say that they wouldn't consider a merger at all, but they won't seriously consider one unless the NRL tells them to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Other thing about the Bears that needs answering is Jnr development. Is the New "Bears" club going to be investing locally as well as propping up the NS system? I can see a NS Bears owned club pumping club money into NS jnrs and elite development whilst the local regin gets little to no attention. In Perths case that would be a travesty given the potential here for pathways and increasing NRl production.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Other thing about the Bears that needs answering is Jnr development. Is the New "Bears" club going to be investing locally as well as propping up the NS system? I can see a NS Bears owned club pumping club money into NS jnrs and elite development whilst the local regin gets little to no attention. In Perths case that would be a travesty given the potential here for pathways and increasing NRl production.
Put it on your list of non-negotiables. :p:p

flippikat

Bench
The NRL are the only people the Bears need to negotiate with at the moment.

If anything local partners or mergers will only complicate things for them, and whether or not they were endorsed by local authorities will be quickly forgotten if/when they get a license.

The Bears could set up an NRL side in basically any location in the Australasian region within the space of a few months, all they need is for the NRL to give them some direction on where they want that side to be.
Spot on. The NRL need to decide, once and for all...

1) If the Bears brand needs to be back in the NRL

and

2) if the Bears are desired, WHERE they need to align themselves with. Basically, the NRL as match-maker.

greenBV4

Bench
Interesting that this is the opening paragraph for North Sydney on wikipedia (yes I know, not a great source, but interesting none the less)

The North Sydney Bears is an Australian rugby league football club based in North Sydney, New South Wales. The club competes in the New South Wales Cup, having exited the National Rugby League following the 1999 NRL season after 90 years in the premier rugby league competition in Australia. North Sydney is based on Sydney's Lower North Shore, and has played at North Sydney Oval since 1910. There have been on-going bids to resurrect the club in the NRL as either "The Bears", based in Perth and Sydney, or as the Central Coast Bears, based at Gosford.

Interesting it states they would be "The Bears", not Perth or WA (no source tho)

But also..
"The Bears, based in Perth AND Sydney"
- Everything wrong with this "bid" in 1 line

Imagine claiming to represent 2 cities on literal opposite ends of a continent, all while calling yourself "The" (we already have a team from The)

The Great Dane

First Grade
Spot on. The NRL need to decide, once and for all...

1) If the Bears brand needs to be back in the NRL

and

2) if the Bears are desired, WHERE they need to align themselves with. Basically, the NRL as match-maker.
They should have told them that it was never, ever, going to happen two decades ago. They should have reclaimed Manly's license at the first opportunity after the merger fell apart as well, but that's a separate discussion.

I'll give up on this sport if corruption in Sydney allows the Bears to white ant the sport in an expansion market.