What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Iamback

Coach
The development could be done with literally anybody in Queensland Cup for example.

Face it mate. The only reason anybody is talking up the Bears is because the Sydney media want it. Blokes who think about Sydney and maybe at a stretch Queensland.

Also, it doesn’t look like anybody is seriously jumping up and down at their offer. They are prostituting themselves to everybody at this point in time.

I just want you to think about it from the other side: if a side was plonked in Penrith and supposedly they were representing Penrith but they had to play 2-6 home games somewhere else, would you accept it? You can’t ask somebody to accept something that you wouldn’t yourself.

Also the whole point of a relocation and expansion is for the new area (Perth, Adelaide, NZ etc) to accept you, not Sydney.

Of course it could. And you don't think say Cairns wouldn't want something in return for the costs?

it happens all the time

How much did Blacktown pay to have GWS train there?

What about Canberra to host GWS games?

or closer to home. Using your Panthers example, Bathurst pays us $300k to host a game there.

Not to mention in US Sports. Cities dropping millions to being a training base.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Somewhere outside of NSW and QLD for a start.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying but Brisbane 3 wouldn`t be the end of the world.
Strong bid and almost guaranteed success and shoring up League heartland. Only stumbling block would be that it would delay Perth by about 5 years. And that`s certainly not ideal.
Either way Perth has to 1 or 2.

Colk

First Grade
Of course it could. And you don't think say Cairns wouldn't want something in return for the costs?

it happens all the time

How much did Blacktown pay to have GWS train there?

What about Canberra to host GWS games?

or closer to home. Using your Panthers example, Bathurst pays us $300k to host a game there.

Not to mention in US Sports. Cities dropping millions to being a training base.

1. Has GWS worked? I don’t know why you would want to copy that model at all.

2. Panthers are a Penrith side and have always been a Penrith side. It’s not the same as a Bathurst side who was kicked out but plonked in Penrith but aiming to take home games back to their previous location and away from Penrith. There is no chance that Penrith will move lock stock and barrel to Bathurst or have any intention to do so. The Bears are not the same and I would be very very wary of them.

3. The other examples are training grounds. Fine train there but they are not playing there.

Colk

First Grade
I agree with a lot of what you are saying but Brisbane 3 wouldn`t be the end of the world.
Strong bid and almost guaranteed success and shoring up League heartland. Only stumbling block would be that it would delay Perth by about 5 years. And that`s certainly not ideal.
Either way Perth has to 1 or 2.

I’m not suggesting it would be the end of the world at all. It would be stupid though to do it next or to do it within a decade though. You want the Dolphins and the Broncos to forge a strong rivalry and cement them into the competition instead of pushing ahead with a third team. You also have to consider the Titans here who aren’t particularly strong as yet

I’m also just wary of journalists and some posters who want to make Brisbane a mini Sydney. Really there is only a limited amount of spaces that a competition can give out or sustain.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I’m not suggesting it would be the end of the world at all. It would be stupid though to do it next or to do it within a decade though. You want the Dolphins and the Broncos to forge a strong rivalry and cement them into the competition instead of pushing ahead with a third team. You also have to consider the Titans here who aren’t particularly strong as yet

I’m also just wary of journalists and some posters who want to make Brisbane a mini Sydney. Really there is only a limited amount of spaces that a competition can give out or sustain.
It`s a good question, what would constitute a mini-Sydney. On the face of it you`d have to say four would be too many, but are the Gold Coast a Brisbane side, being 80 km`s, from Brisbane, you`d probably have to say no. Ipswich is 40 km from the centre of Brisbane so potentially that counts them out as well.
Firehawks, from what I can gather are the problem, strong bid but basically based in the heart of the city, but is that any different from Souths and the Roosters, two of our strongest clubs.
Personally I`d argue that both Redcliffe and Ipswich are far enough from the city centre and have enough population centres around them not to be overcrowding the Brisbane market. Brisbane Easts, the Firehawks, alternatively provide that genuine central Brisbane rivalry, a-la Souths/Easts, that could be very powerful.
I think with a fast growing and importantly spreading city there`s no reason why we couldn`t eventually accommodate all of them.

Wb1234

Referee

Gallop highlighted the western coridoor over ten years ago

it’s not making it like Sydney

if anything it’s the dream of what people want to cull Sydney into

Perth Red

Post Whore
It`s a good question, what would constitute a mini-Sydney. On the face of it you`d have to say four would be too many, but are the Gold Coast a Brisbane side, being 80 km`s, from Brisbane, you`d probably have to say no. Ipswich is 40 km from the centre of Brisbane so potentially that counts them out as well.
Firehawks, from what I can gather are the problem, strong bid but basically based in the heart of the city, but is that any different from Souths and the Roosters, two of our strongest clubs.
Personally I`d argue that both Redcliffe and Ipswich are far enough from the city centre and have enough population centres around them not to be overcrowding the Brisbane market. Brisbane Easts, the Firehawks, alternatively provide that genuine central Brisbane rivalry, a-la Souths/Easts, that could be very powerful.
I think with a fast growing and importantly spreading city there`s no reason why we couldn`t eventually accommodate all of them.
They're all drawing from the same corporates base. You can see looking at corporate sales of some of the sydney teams compared to one city teams what that does for financial stability. Problem wit NRL is we are happy to have small clubs instead of striving for big ones. Let Dolphins get as big as Broncos then worry about Brisbane3

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Spot on.

Broncos - central
Dolphins - northern corridor
Titans - southern corridor

From there, the next SEQ team would surely be Ipswich (western corridor).

Thats the compass points of SEQ population centers achieved, and the ideal for Sydney would be something similar.

Expansion of QLD post-Dolphins is going to be Ipswich, Sunshine Coast and Central QLD. Maybe SC before Ipswich tho imo.

Given the Dolphins just entered, it is too soon for another. The current SEQ clubs need time to establish.

So specifically 18 has to be other regions....Perth, Adelaide, NZ, PNG, Melbourne/Geelong. Those are the only options -- be it some are serious and some are too soon right now.

Personally, Perth has to be 18. The ARL knew to expand there in the 90s. They knew it was the next best expansion point, and still is.

Given we already have a NZ team, itd be stupid to have NZ-2 before Perth, and even before Adelaide.

For the look of it too.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
They're all drawing from the same corporates base. You can see looking at corporate sales of some of the sydney teams compared to one city teams what that does for financial stability. Problem wit NRL is we are happy to have small clubs instead of striving for big ones. Let Dolphins get as big as Broncos then worry about Brisbane3
Yes and I suppose the other thing is if this is a fifty-year plan when Australia`s population reaches 40 - 50 million, you wouldn`t want anywhere near that number of teams out of one city, two absolute max and big teams in big cities with even Fiji, Port Moresby et. al having their own team playing out of their own stadiums at home.

Wb1234

Referee
Ok John ribot

Colk

First Grade
Well it looks like Perth are going to miss out on a team which is based in north Sydney and playing games in png and nth Sydney

The Bears shouldn’t be considered at all based on their non-negotiables.

If PNG have to come in (I don’t think they should) they can be a pseudo fifth QLD side based in Brisbane and play half their games at Suncorp. Hey presto there are five sides for QLD.

Latest posts