What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't we ever "raid" Union?

Valheru

Coach
I had a look recently and there's 18 Rugby clubs with higher salary caps than the NRL. The Top 14 French clubs and four Irish clubs. The English just cut their salary cap. Yes, there are top ups for international matches etc. But I'd say for roughly 8
70 to 80% of all the rugby players at next world cup, they would make more in career earnings playing NRL than they would in rugby.

Yeah im more referring to those top line players who have their salary topped up by national bodies.

T-Boon

Coach
Strange comment, it's every 4 years like most world cups and is being played later this year.

Their world cup is a genuine tier 1 world event... pretending it isn't doesn't help anyone.
Just fact. I must have missed the one 4 years ago.
And you have to be kidding that the rugby world cup is a tier 1 world event. What does that leave the Olympics and Soccer world cup which are at the very least one level above the Rugby world cup I would say two levels above?
Not many nations play rugby.

taste2taste

Juniors
Everyone one assumes the All Blacks are on high salaries but is there any evidence of this?
NZ is a tiny market with a population smaller than Western Sydney, the NZ $ isn't worth much ... so who paying them all this supposed cash ?

A few all blacks have said in the press they would love to play in the nrl, the Roosters nearly signed thier 9 a few seasons ago and thier full back was seen at Storm straining last week, it's only a matter of time until the NRL gets an All Black

taste2taste

Juniors
And you have to be kidding that the rugby world cup is a tier 1 world event. What does that leave the Olympics and Soccer world cup which are at the very least one level above the Rugby world cup I would say two levels above?
Don't try and argue with a rugby fan, they are so deluded they believe it's a global sport. Apparently the last world cup was watched by 857million people :D :D :D

Valheru

Coach

I'm not kidding. It is tier 1.

Soccer and Olympics are the biggest shows in town, no one would argue that. Doesn't mean the RUWC isn't a premium event though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everyone one assumes the All Blacks are on high salaries but is there any evidence of this?
NZ is a tiny market with a population smaller than Western Sydney, the NZ $ isn't worth much ... so who paying them all this supposed cash ?

A few all blacks have said in the press they would love to play in the nrl, the Roosters nearly signed thier 9 a few seasons ago and thier full back was seen at Storm straining last week, it's only a matter of time until the NRL gets an All Black
Nzru has $308mill revenue, they pay the all black players not the
clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not kidding. It is tier 1.

Soccer and Olympics are the biggest shows in town, no one would argue that. Doesn't mean the RUWC isn't a premium event though.
Sadly it’d be the third biggest international sports tournament in the world. How if don’t know, it’s painful to watch.

shiznit

Coach

They are centrally contracted to NZR and also get paid by their super rugby franchises. They also have their own individual sponsors.

the top All Blacks earn about 1M a season… and they also get to fill their boots every couple of years in France or Japan with an allowed sabbatical.

NZR certainly isn’t the richest… players can earn sometimes double in Europe or Japan… which is why they offer the sabbaticals.

Ultimately the choose to stay because you have to be in NZ to play for the All Blacks.

The draw card is the jersey… it keeps players in NZ… and it even draws players from other codes over… ie… Brad Thorn and more recently RTS.

shiznit

Coach
Lmfao… the dude who talks up inbred redneck hillbilly college football derbies from Mississippi to Alabama…

has no idea about an actual world event which was last held in Japan… which had a total attendance of about 1.7M people over the tournament…

docbrown

Coach
They are centrally contracted to NZR and also get paid by their super rugby franchises. They also have their own individual sponsors.

the top All Blacks earn about 1M a season… and they also get to fill their boots every couple of years in France or Japan with an allowed sabbatical.

NZR certainly isn’t the richest… players can earn sometimes double in Europe or Japan… which is why they offer the sabbaticals.

Ultimately the choose to stay because you have to be in NZ to play for the All Blacks.

The draw card is the jersey… it keeps players in NZ… and it even draws players from other codes over… ie… Brad Thorn and more recently RTS.
We don’t need the top All Blacks players. We’re after the players that are squeezed out as other players are in their positions and are getting a pittance under the Super Rugby salary cap. The NZRU might be able to protect the top XV but what about the rest?

Homo man69

Juniors
The question is obviously in reference to poaching top line established RU players. The popular opinion on here is no doubt that they couldn't make the transition and/or are inferior athletes.

That is just not true, a lot of them would do well in rugby league. The real reason is we simply don't have anything to offer said players that would make them want to switch. The RU carrot to NRL players is a) cash and b) the RU World cup. We can't match them on either.
Finally, someone actually understands the question

Homo man69

Juniors
Anybody remember Tepai Morea?
He was a schoolboy prodigy that skipped Union for league as a teen. Did ok for the eels but went back to the Wallabies.
Just like the rest Benji, Burgess, RTS etc, he ended up hating it and decided to come back. Think he went to Melbourne but now plays reserve grade
Honestly can't think of a player that's ever gone to union and not come back

Latest posts