What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

flippikat

Bench
the NRL is not a democracy
people claiming here that because 1.6 Bill has been spent on stadiums , then thats enough ... are the niave ones

if the govt " chooses" to not honor deals then thats fine
the NRL can" choose "to play their GF where they see fit
I'm not referring to the NRL though.

I'm referring to the Government.

There is a parallel though.

As long as there's no contract holding the NRL to play the Grand Final in Sydney, they can choose to move it wherever they want - that's THEIR PEROGATIVE.

If there IS a contract in place, they have to negotiate to extricate themselves from it, or else they're in breach & can potentially be sued.

My opinion is that moving the Grand Final away from Sydney might just grow the game a bit, and be a good message from the NRL that other markets are worthy of the showpiece. I say "Bring it on!"

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Seems pretty simple to me.
NRL has the GF as a lever. If NSW Govt want to keep the GF they either need to keep spending on stadiums OR offer to buy it at a price acceptable to the NRL.
If they dont then NRL has to decide what it wants to do with the GF. Turn it into a Superbowl event and sell it as a major event around Australia and even overseas and reap some decent revenue out of it, but probably pss off the old timer NSW fans and media, or keep it in Sydney, lose face and money but keep people happy. What we dont want is this annual GF MAY be moved BS that we currently have.

If NSW buys it or it goes on road then we are back to the thorny issue of Sydney stadiums and thinking of a different way to having all NRL clubs playing out of modern stadia within a few years.
That's a fair call- and honestly it makes better sense for the NSW Govt to just buy hosting rights than pay for stadia, given the likely costs.

Canard

Immortal
Given that the NRL is played in 3 states, 1 territory and another country I don't think there is anything particularly sacrosanct about it being played in Sydney always.

Especially when you consider that the Grand Final was played in Brisbane 18 months ago.

Even then its been played in several venues within Sydney within the last 3 decades, and as such has no "spiritual" home in that respect.

Given that the majority of the teams are based in Sydney however, I assume that people would piss and moan if an All Sydney GF was played interstate.

Eion

First Grade
the NRL is not a democracy
people claiming here that because 1.6 Bill has been spent on stadiums , then thats enough ... are the niave ones

if the govt " chooses" to not honor deals then thats fine
the NRL can" choose "to play their GF where they see fit
And bless you for not saying ‘stadia’

Eion

First Grade
2 Bill worth of stadia that we don't use exclusively was the deal
we're not there yet ( still 800 mill off )
the agreement wasn't honored

the NRL is exercising its rights in insisting it is or.... its GF is up for grabs
its simple.
Oops there’s stadia. Damn, was starting to like you😂

Vee

First Grade
then
Minns logic will see the GF quite rightly flogged off .... not much more need be said
PVL & the NRL are .. quite within their rights too, nothing is owed to this govt or any other for that matter.
There you go, you finally got there. Knew you could do it.

Pneuma

First Grade
I remember when stadia were called stadiums and cohorts were called groups. Thems was the days.
Given that ‘stadia’ is the Latin plural for stadium (which is a neutral case noun as in neither male or female) I’d suggest it’s entirely appropriately used here. I think this site as a whole should revert to Latin ad finutum with a quid pro quo status in mind.