What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

getsmarty

Immortal
Not denying the strong Rooster bias among the Fox talking heads but maybe by sacking Ryles immediately, Uncle Nick has handed the Dragons not just a strong hand that we had when Ryles had until the end of 2023 to make a decision, but the whip hand given Ryles has nowhere to go for the rest of 2023. The Titans is the only other HC possibility for Ryles- but probably not till 2024 and I would be surprised if he'd want to uproot his family from Wollongong for a challenge no smaller than the Dragons.

Will be interested to see who ends up in the key roles of GM Football and Head recruitment and retention. Richardson and Brown can both be abrasive but are also effective- although I never rated Brown as a coach.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
What is the salary cap when it comes to coaching staff? I am pretty sure there is some cap on that? With Griffin gone and paid out would the Saints be able to get Ryles on the books asap? Also would the cap include the retention and head of football role as well? Seeing Saints have none of these roles filled at the moment they would have plenty of spare dollars over the years for them to offer Richo a role who I am sure will not come cheap.

I am hearing Browny is a done deal but has not yet been announced for some reason. They probably want to do the announcement all in 1 hit by announcing all 3 roles.

Uncle Nick spitting chips after an assistant gets an opportunity of a lifetime and expects him to turn it down. There are only 17 HC roles in the NRL, it is a bit harsh not to let your assistant take 1. If Ryles turns out to be a gun, he won't be tempted to return to Bondi that is for sure.

This works out so well for Ryles if he gets the nod which surely he will as he can work on the roster this season. Surely that alone ensures he gets the gig as the other candidates will be tied up to Souths, Cowboys or Manly. Only Hasler is free and he is not getting a mention. Maybe they can get him as head of Football.

I wonder how Gould will take it if Ryles signs seeing he was so adamant Ryles would join Melb and not the Saints?

In my opinion, we should be moving Sloan to 5/8 as the only skill he needs to improve on for this position is his defense..
Been saying the same or half as the kid possesses clever ball skills. Showed it in the first Roosters match and in Ressies last year. In one match I saw in full he created four, scored two, dont mean he threw the last pass for that quartet, actually instigated them with skill, vision and blinding pace.

jak

Bench
Not denying the strong Rooster bias among the Fox talking heads but maybe by sacking Ryles immediately, Uncle Nick has handed the Dragons not just a strong hand that we had when Ryles had until the end of 2023 to make a decision, but the whip hand given Ryles has nowhere to go for the rest of 2023. The Titans is the only other HC possibility for Ryles- but probably not till 2024 and I would be surprised if he'd want to uproot his family from Wollongong for a challenge no smaller than the Dragons.

Will be interested to see who ends up in the key roles of GM Football and Head recruitment and retention. Richardson and Brown can both be abrasive but are also effective- although I never rated Brown as a coach.
brown has a great eye for talent

jak

Bench
What is the salary cap when it comes to coaching staff? I am pretty sure there is some cap on that? With Griffin gone and paid out would the Saints be able to get Ryles on the books asap? Also would the cap include the retention and head of football role as well? Seeing Saints have none of these roles filled at the moment they would have plenty of spare dollars over the years for them to offer Richo a role who I am sure will not come cheap.

I am hearing Browny is a done deal but has not yet been announced for some reason. They probably want to do the announcement all in 1 hit by announcing all 3 roles.

Uncle Nick spitting chips after an assistant gets an opportunity of a lifetime and expects him to turn it down. There are only 17 HC roles in the NRL, it is a bit harsh not to let your assistant take 1. If Ryles turns out to be a gun, he won't be tempted to return to Bondi that is for sure.

This works out so well for Ryles if he gets the nod which surely he will as he can work on the roster this season. Surely that alone ensures he gets the gig as the other candidates will be tied up to Souths, Cowboys or Manly. Only Hasler is free and he is not getting a mention. Maybe they can get him as head of Football.

I wonder how Gould will take it if Ryles signs seeing he was so adamant Ryles would join Melb and not the Saints?
the only thing gus would say if ryles signs is no no no no no and no

Dragon David

First Grade

The following is an extract from the Daily Telegraph on Nicholas Tsougranis.​

Dragons, Arncliffe Scots junior Nicholas Tsougranis desperate to join former teammates in NRL​

He’s the 18-year-old rising backrower from Arncliffe Scots who continues to tick every box on the pathway to representing his beloved St George Illawarra Dragons in the NRL. Here’s the latest.

The son of a Dragons tragic, for Nicholas Tsougranis the only colours he sees when it comes to footy are red and white.

Turning 19 in July, the powerfully built Arncliffe Scots junior has been rising through the Saints system since he was 13. With two seasons of SG Ball under his belt, the aggressive backrower was going about his business in Jersey Flegg last week until he got the surprise of his life.
“I’d just finished playing and was taking my strapping off to go home. Then out of the blue the NSW Cup coach asked me to sit with the side as 18th man,” said Tsougranis.
While he didn’t see any game time, it was another feather in the cap for the youngster who has thrived with the arrival of former Kiwi international Willie Talau.

“Willie joined the club this year and pretty much runs the pathway system,” said Tsougranis.
“He’s been a real mentor for me, and a massive help in developing my game. We’ve had some really honest conversations about the things I really need to work on both on and off the field.
“He was the SG Ball coach. We lost the first four games but once we started to gel, Willie taught us how to close games out and we really started putting some strong performances together.”
With the Dragons accessing juniors from both St George and the Illawarra, Tsougranis doesn't have to look far for inspiration.
Just under 12 months ago he was packing down alongside Toby Couchman in the Jersey Flegg. Fast forward to 2023, and the 19-year-old Couchman has played nine NRL games since making his debut in round two.
“What Toby has done this year is pretty inspiring. I played against him last year when he was in the Steelers SG Ball side, then we played Flegg together and now he’s playing NRL,” he said.
“I’m sure this time last year Toby would never have pictured himself playing first grade.
“But he works really hard, and if I do the same then down the track I might get there too.”
A fan of the aggressive style of Jaydn Su‘A and the damaging lines run by Cronulla’s Briton Nikora, Tsougranis’ development is set to continue next season in Flegg, while he hopes to win an off-season training contract alongside the NRL squad.

While he admits to not being the biggest boy on the books, his confidence comes from aggression and line speed. And with red and white pumping through his veins, he has only one vision in mind.
“I have loved the Red V since I was born, and I want nothing more than to wear an NRL jumper for the Dragons.”

Love it when I read that he has loved the Red V since he was born and wants nothing more than to wear an NRL jumper for the Dragons.

Rocket Rod

Juniors

Dragons, Arncliffe Scots junior Nicholas Tsougranis desperate to join former teammates in NRL​

He’s the 18-year-old rising backrower from Arncliffe Scots who continues to tick every box on the pathway to representing his beloved St George Illawarra Dragons in the NRL. Here’s the latest.

The son of a Dragons tragic, for Nicholas Tsougranis the only colours he sees when it comes to footy are red and white.

Turning 19 in July, the powerfully built Arncliffe Scots junior has been rising through the Saints system since he was 13. With two seasons of SG Ball under his belt, the aggressive backrower was going about his business in Jersey Flegg last week until he got the surprise of his life.
“I’d just finished playing and was taking my strapping off to go home. Then out of the blue the NSW Cup coach asked me to sit with the side as 18th man,” said Tsougranis.
While he didn’t see any game time, it was another feather in the cap for the youngster who has thrived with the arrival of former Kiwi international Willie Talau.

“Willie joined the club this year and pretty much runs the pathway system,” said Tsougranis.
“He’s been a real mentor for me, and a massive help in developing my game. We’ve had some really honest conversations about the things I really need to work on both on and off the field.
“He was the SG Ball coach. We lost the first four games but once we started to gel, Willie taught us how to close games out and we really started putting some strong performances together.”
With the Dragons accessing juniors from both St George and the Illawarra, Tsougranis doesn't have to look far for inspiration.
Just under 12 months ago he was packing down alongside Toby Couchman in the Jersey Flegg. Fast forward to 2023, and the 19-year-old Couchman has played nine NRL games since making his debut in round two.
“What Toby has done this year is pretty inspiring. I played against him last year when he was in the Steelers SG Ball side, then we played Flegg together and now he’s playing NRL,” he said.
“I’m sure this time last year Toby would never have pictured himself playing first grade.
“But he works really hard, and if I do the same then down the track I might get there too.”
A fan of the aggressive style of Jaydn Su‘A and the damaging lines run by Cronulla’s Briton Nikora, Tsougranis’ development is set to continue next season in Flegg, while he hopes to win an off-season training contract alongside the NRL squad.

While he admits to not being the biggest boy on the books, his confidence comes from aggression and line speed. And with red and white pumping through his veins, he has only one vision in mind.
“I have loved the Red V since I was born, and I want nothing more than to wear an NRL jumper for the Dragons.”

Love it when I read that he has loved the Red V since he was born and wants nothing more than to wear an NRL jumper for the Dragons.
Thanks and yes love his passion and honesty. Dragon thru and thru

denis preston

First Grade

“ Willie joined the club last year and pretty well runs the pathways system “ SO what is bloody Aitken doing ?

redv13

Bench

This kid is coming along nicely in SG ball and now Flegg. Hope he gets there just like Toby did. Bleeds red and white and loves the dragons. Best of luck Nicholas

twinkletoes

Juniors
A fundamental weakness in our team is size in the forwards. We do not have the rampaging big bodies we need to compete and there are no juniors coming through in the forwards with that size and skill. Cotric was one we were hopeful about but I think his career has and will be mapered by injury. To my knowledge there are no others who are anywhere near pushing for first grade. Eels seem to have a few who have suddenly stood up.
Until we get the size and aggression in the forwards we will be just cannon fodder and I just don't know where you get them from...

Latest posts