What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Says the guy judging a post based on who is posting it and not the content?

So do you think the NRL should be ridiculed the same way the AFL was?
We will if they announce a packed stadium with asellout crowd when it’s over half empty ..lol they did it 2 yrs in a Row.
Was also claimed a large slice of the crowd never made it to the ground due to buses getting lost .

They were ridiculed for the constant lies & propaganda .

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
I forgot about the bus excuse.

Up there with GI's planes don't fly in the rain
As someone who was on one of those buses, it wasn’t cap.

Shanghai is a merkin to navigate, it’s 2x smaller than Sydney, 1.5x smaller than Melbourne, but with the population of Australia. Hated whenever I had to go there.

Pneuma

First Grade
We will if they announce a packed stadium with asellout crowd when it’s over half empty ..lol they did it 2 yrs in a Row.
Was also claimed a large slice of the crowd never made it to the ground due to buses getting lost .

They were ridiculed for the constant lies & propaganda .
Maximus was grumpy last night. Hope he feels better today.

Iamback

Coach
As someone who was on one of those buses, it wasn’t cap.

Shanghai is a merkin to navigate, it’s 2x smaller than Sydney, 1.5x smaller than Melbourne, but with the population of Australia. Hated whenever I had to go there.

Another reason why it was poorly planned out.

Canard

Immortal
Big difference.

RL has a presence in USA

hell the IRL even awarded them a World Cup

Doesn't mean it will be a success but is a bit further along than AFL's overseas ventures were

RL presence in the US, would be no bigger then ex-pats Vicky Kicky fans who run amateur comps overseas and try to claim the sport is "big" in China, Sweden or South Africa.

This is purely a junket for the press and NRL admin and a collosal waste of money and resources.

It's arrogance personified to think we can a) even rent the Raiders stadium and b) get more then 10k to attend it

Says the guy judging a post based on who is posting it and not the content?

So do you think the NRL should be ridiculed the same way the AFL was?
I think one of the reasons it was ridiculed was the delusion of the AFL thinking their game could take off in another country just by turning up. To the untrained eye, the sport looks like a mess with no structure whatsoever so what chance do foreigners have of getting a grasp of it?

The NRL by contrast has a far better chance in the US because they have a similar football conscious. Our game is quicker and is more ad lib of course but there’s enough obvious structure in the play that it wouldn’t require a mental leap for the Yanks to get it.

Granted this isn’t much of a survey but in different times in my career, I have worked with a few Americans living over here and everyone of them got into to RL before I even met them. They all loved Origin and even enjoyed the hokey nature of Henson Park when I took them there. Point is, the game wasn’t a hard sell to them. A couple of them lived in Melbourne before coming up to Sydney and they never got a handle on the AFL but they did have an appreciation of its cultural significance in that city. However, that’s something the AFL can’t export.

PS
I doubt we’ll ever invest time and money to elevate the game beyond a curiosity BTW.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
RL presence in the US, would be no bigger then ex-pats Vicky Kicky fans who run amateur comps overseas and try to claim the sport is "big" in China, Sweden or South Africa.

This is purely a junket for the press and NRL admin and a collosal waste of money and resources.

It's arrogance personified to think we can a) even rent the Raiders stadium and b) get more then 10k to attend it

Except US has played in RL World Cups, Looking at the qualifying setup they will be in the next world Cup.

No reason they can't get a decent standard comp going over there. France comp standard should be the aim.

Anyone can rent that Stadium if you pay for it, That would be most of the cost would be as for the crowd.

I haven't seen anyone predict a sellout? All seems to be for TV Money and gambling money. In which case crowd is irrelevant

As for it not working, Very likely is true but if the game is making a profit then why is trying to grow the game a bad thing?

RL World Cup didn't make a profit, RL's problem is outside of Australia ( Which is tiny on the World Scale) there is no money in the game.

There is no reason RL can't build to the RU standard over there and that would be huge for the game across the globe

Iamback

Coach
I think one of the reasons it was ridiculed was the delusion of the AFL thinking their game could take off in another country just by turning up. To the untrained eye, the sport looks like a mess with no structure whatsoever so what chance do foreigners have of getting a grasp of it?

The NRL by contrast has a far better chance in the US because they have a similar football conscious. Our game is quicker and is more ad lib of course but there’s enough obvious structure in the play that it wouldn’t require a mental leap for the Yanks to get it.

Granted this isn’t much of a survey but in different times in my career, I have worked with a few Americans living over here and everyone of them got into to RL before I even met them. They all loved Origin and even enjoyed the hokey nature of Henson Park when I took them there. Point is, the game wasn’t a hard sell to them. A couple of them lived in Melbourne before coming up to Sydney and they never got a handle on the AFL but they did have an appreciation of it’s cultural significance in that city. However, that’s something the AFL can’t export.

PS
I doubt we’ll ever invest time and money to elevate the game beyond a curiosity BTW.

Your last point is where I stand but still nothing wrong with having a shot

mongoose

Coach

Granted this isn’t much of a survey but in different times in my career, I have worked with a few Americans living over here and everyone of them got into to RL before I even met them. They all loved Origin and even enjoyed the hokey nature of Henson Park when I took them there. Point is, the game wasn’t a hard sell to them. A couple of them lived in Melbourne before coming up to Sydney and they never got a handle on the AFL but they did have an appreciation of its cultural significance in that city. However, that’s something the AFL can’t export.

PS
AFL are arrogant and severely overrate their game but i doubt they seriously thought their game would take off in China...

they seem to have missed the word 'betting' out of the sentence lol
Remember when we mocked the AFL and their push into China? well now its our turn.

Haha, I forgot about that one. I was living just outside of Shanghai at the time.
I only found 1 person who knew about the game; a victorian who owned a bar in the City. He was flogging it to EVERYONE. When he heard my accent, he started telling me about how VFL was about to take off in China!! Hahah

I dont think you can compare Vlad’s plan to that sh*t. At least RL has SOME potential……

I'll give it two lol But hey you might be right, it might not be mocked, it might crack the 'expansive' USA market, it might not end up the same way other forays have.

Id have thought sorting out the mess that is international RL would have been a more important thing to spend time on, but what do I know.

Club football might actually have more potential in expanding overseas than the rep teams.

The US rep team is obviously shit and it is a tough sell to ask locals to support a different country.

At least here, locals can be asked to follow the Broncos or the Rabbits. (Not too different to Sydney RL fans picking random teams instead of their local team)