What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 16: Eels v Sea Eagles (Arthur Family Cup) GAME DAY THREAD

84 Baby

Referee
The reasons that we have what appears to be an over abundance of negative compared to positive media coverage is that we have zero personalities involved with the entire organisation, except for Gutho and Moses... (and maybe 3 other 'minor' personalities in the playing ranks).

Negative media coverage is essentially what you'd classify as 'news worthy' matters. As they say, no news is good news!

You'll only ever get positive media coverage when you have personalities involved, and this is not just sport, this is every aspect of life. Positive 'news worthy' stories are all about the individual public relations focus.

Let's be honest, the coach, head of football, CEO, the board, and at least 25 of our 30 NRL players are just plain f**king boring uninteresting people compared to some other clubs.
It’s pretty clear why we have an abundance of negative media coverage. We’re clickbait. Good, bad or indifferent. Drown instigated some bad press so the media jumped on that train and piled more.
Anyone heard anything more about the integrity units “findings” on the animal noise incident that they “were alerted to by media”?

TheRam

Coach
The reasons that we have what appears to be an over abundance of negative compared to positive media coverage is that we have zero personalities involved with the entire organisation, except for Gutho and Moses... (and maybe 3 other 'minor' personalities in the playing ranks).

Negative media coverage is essentially what you'd classify as 'news worthy' matters. As they say, no news is good news!

You'll only ever get positive media coverage when you have personalities involved, and this is not just sport, this is every aspect of life. Positive 'news worthy' stories are all about the individual public relations focus.

Let's be honest, the coach, head of football, CEO, the board, and at least 25 of our 30 NRL players are just plain f**king boring uninteresting people compared to some other clubs.

Ok you named 2 in the Parra lineup. So who are the effervescent personality players in the Roosters, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Sharks, Dogs, Dragons, Rabbits, and Tigers then? I'm only referring to all the Sydney clubs because we are generally competing with them for media attention and the Sydney media are obviously more Sydney centric.

Remember they need to have more then two and maybe 3 other 'minor' personalities to out personality us. Otherwise your argument doesn't hold water.

This should be interesting. Go for it.

Chipmunk

Coach
Ok you named 2 in the Parra lineup. So who are the effervescent personality players in the Roosters, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Sharks, Dogs, Dragons, Rabbits, and Tigers then? I'm only referring to all the Sydney clubs because we are generally competing with them for media attention and the Sydney media are obviously more Sydney centric.

Remember they need to have more then two and maybe 3 other 'minor' personalities to out personality us. Otherwise your argument doesn't hold water.

The 'personalities' I refer are mainly off field people, not players, and some of them never speak on camera, but have a public relations media profile that helps create the media darling profile. The positive image, this is where we're falling down on the positive image front.

I never said the majority of Sydney clubs were in any better situations either, I was only commenting on why one club was like that. But I also don't think the majority of Sydney clubs are media darlings either. I'd say the media darlings of Sydney NRL teams would primarily be Roosters and Souths.

On the personalities front:
Roosters - Politis, Bouros, Robbo
Souths - Rusty, was both Richo and Bennett in the past, but they have moved on. Demetriou seems a personable guy on par with the Robbo front though. On the field they have Latrell as well
Of the rest, the Dogs have a huge public figure in Gus, and before that, the Panthers had Gus. The Tigers have Sheensy and Benji, I'd argue their Chairman has a bit of a personality about him also. Manly in the past had Bozo.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

It’s not about bubbly personalities, it’s about being part of that NSW Origin leadership wank club.

84 Baby

Referee
The 'personalities' I refer are mainly off field people, not players, and some of them never speak on camera, but have a public relations media profile that helps create the media darling profile. The positive image, this is where we're falling down on the positive image front.

I never said the majority of Sydney clubs were in any better situations either, I was only commenting on why one club was like that. But I also don't think the majority of Sydney clubs are media darlings either. I'd say the media darlings of Sydney NRL teams would primarily be Roosters and Souths.

Souths - Rusty, was both Richo and Bennett in the past, but they have moved on. Demetriou seems a personable guy on par with the Robbo front though. On the field they have Latrell as well
Of the rest, the Dogs have a huge public figure in Gus, and before that, the Panthers had Gus. The Tigers have Sheensy and Benji, I'd argue their Chairman has a bit of a personality about him also. Manly in the past had Bozo.
In that case we’ve got the best personality in the business, and he really loves the club and generates heaps of good publicity for us. Roymond Hardley!

Gronk

Staff member
In that case we’ve got the best personality in the business, and he really loves the club and generates heaps of good publicity for us. Roymond Hardley!
You mean, deep down, Raaay really loves us ? Aaww

84 Baby

Referee
I think Hadley supports parra but not the management
There’s only one thing he supports. His own ratings. He’s taken a too early to tell incident with Drown and a completely innocuous animal noise incident to try and boost his own ratings. May have been fuelled by his hatred of management but supporting the club was several rungs below supporting his own self-interest.

TheRam

Coach

That's some fancy sidestepping and dancing my friend. Sure you mentioned off field personalities but you made more of a point and deal about the on field personalities and even gave a number of primary and secondary personalities.

As for off field personalities, yeah sure we have none. But as you say only the 3 best coaches have that in them and then there is Gould, Rusty and Uncle Nick. Sheens and Benji are personalities, but unless they make a real success of it they will only be drawing negative headlines that will further destabilise that club and to pick their chairman as a positive personality is insane and you may as well then included all the useless merkins starting from Fitzy all the way to the Plumber that nearly ran our club into the ground and oblivion.

As you are well aware you were referring to positive and beneficial cults of personality, not anchors that only serve for their own purposes that will eventually sink the boat and drown all it suffering occupants. But sure I know you needed to fluff the pillow as much as possible to strengthen your position, I get that.

But enough of this dancing around. I don't dance, I have fallen arches and will step on your toes no matter where you try to put your feet. You were mostly wrong in your original post referring to a lack of personality players. Which as you point out we do have two. What we don't have though is a club that knows how to use them correctly and get them front and centre into the media. By that I mean in particular television media.

I have said this before. We should be educating all our players proper media presence lessons. Starting with Gutho and Moses. As an example I would get players to do more in house interviews with each other. A day in the life pieces with team mates, Golf day hijinks days. Beach day hijinks or any other social outing day with players. Player and their spouse pieces. Cooking segments with players and their spouses or team mates. Players that live together could be visited and interviewed, grilled for their domestic ineptitude. How did they get to where they are now? What was their journey? Was it hard? What ups and downs did they have to overcome? I'm sure many fans would love to see more of their heroes and what makes them tick and who their partnered with. All these things could be done very cheaply now and totally by the players.

But one of the best things we could do is offer Gutho and Moses to be co-commentators for NSW Cup games wherever possible. That is a sure fire way of getting experience and becoming part of the media pinup boys club. Just like Ennis or Brandy did when they were first starting. If they are any good they will be fast tracked from there. Also how come we haven't had either of them ever presented on NRL360 as part of the players perspective segment? We should be pushing hard to get our boys on segments like that. Look at the angry dwarf Mahoney, first season with the Dogs and bam, he gets that gig.

As a secondary though you are correct in that we don't have anyone within the organisation that is media friendly and savvy and who has all the media on speed dial that can influence them in our favour and push our agenda and a positive spin on everything. I mean didn't we have Cayless as our marketing guy a few years ago? Now let that sink in.