What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jak

Bench
Some interesting comments on 100% Footy tonight the topic came up about Hunt and todays decision and according to Gould he reckons that Hunt was always going to finish this year with The Dragons and the rumours about him going to The Donkeys was all scuttlebug. ( if you can believe everything Gus says) he reckons he wouldn't be surprised if Hunt doesnt complete his full contract with us till 2025 and then ride of into the sunset and retire back to where he wants to live.....I thought yes it would be just like Gould to start planting those seeds to back everyone off with their cheque books then making a play for Hunt at the Dogs in 24/25..........The panel was talking compensation for Hunt if he leaves re player swapping etc and Michael Chammers raised a good point in that because we thought Hunt was with us till the end of 25 we havnt bothered looking or pursuing anyone of his quality for the past few years and any that were are now committed to other clubs
gus has the answers to everything rugby league, his theory is if you throw enough darts you're going to hit the board sooner or later.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I was hoping to see hooper in front of St George leagues with a scoop of how the dragons have got some balls but no he will have another dig at us this week the palooka. Didn’t like Flanno at sharks and was hesitant at first but having him in our corner is the best thing since Wayne bennet. May not as in a coaching way but h Flanno is a street fighter he will do whatever is needed to win and he doesn’t care about what anyone says. We are in safe hands and having him around during this period will make people like Gould think we can’t throw barba at them now without having some sort of rockets sent back to us by Flanno.

mattchuot

Juniors
I was hoping to see hooper in front of St George leagues with a scoop of how the dragons have got some balls but no he will have another dig at us this week the palooka. Didn’t like Flanno at sharks and was hesitant at first but having him in our corner is the best thing since Wayne bennet. May not as in a coaching way but h Flanno is a street fighter he will do whatever is needed to win and he doesn’t care about what anyone says. We are in safe hands and having him around during this period will make people like Gould think we can’t throw barba at them now without having some sort of rockets sent back to us by Flanno.
Flanno’s media commitments is one of those extra benefits that we didn’t really foresee working well for us when the club was doing its recruitment process. We have always been hammered in the media in the past (admittedly most of it the club’s own fault) but Flanno has the ability to set the record straight with him in our corner.

Victoire

Juniors
Agreed. Mofo only comes to us if we pay a massive premium imo. His contract finishes at the end of 2024, could we tempt him with a 4yr, 700k/yr deal? Say start it 2023 with an immediate swap for hunt in 2023. We've apparently offered him 600-650 in the past.
Well Jaimin Joliffe has now extended his contract to the end of 26. Which really leaves Mo Fotuaika and Isaac Liu as somewhat feasible swap options - both come off contract at end of 24 so might be willing to leave for a longer deal. Liu is 32 already though

steerlerbab

Juniors
Now that the dust has settled and we know who really was after Hunt and steering the pot: Broncs this year as they saw the missing piece to challenge for grand final and Titans from 2024 onwards, I applaud the club standing firm and ensuring we get what we want. I think the best options are:

1. 2 Player swap: 2 players for 2 years (equal for $950k - rumoured Hunt's salary).
2. 1 Player swap: It maybe impossible to get like for like. But we get a player with lesser ability and some transfer fee
3. Junior and a transfer fee: We can get a Junior and a hefty transfer fee (maybe around 600k)
4. Transfer fee only: Anything below 800k should be unacceptable.

This will depend on Hunt's manager and the club that wants Hunt (at this stage seems Titans).

Draginzaaar

Bench
Hunt says he was promised signings. Get real buddy no one was coming over to pay under your mate Hook. So may he look in the mirror and be honest to the fact that you and your mate Hook are off of the reason the position we are in. I had so much hate for Mary but I was actually happier watching us play under that bald headed ???

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
After listening to Mark Levys radio hook up with Flanno regarding the Hunt meeting I'm not yet convinced that weve kissed and made up....understandably Flanno couldnt go into to much detail for personal reasons but I noticed comments from him like when we left the meeting it was very positive well I certainly was or words to that effect....to be perfectly honest imo Flanno will have bugger all to do with Hunt wanting to stay and sort things out with the club and help us move in the right direction......imo its pretty obvious Hunt doesnt want be here now or in the future full stop.....lets face it if earlier reports are true then the supposibly reasons for Hunt wanting out ie closer family support and better weather in Qld hasnt changed have they....nah he thought the club would roll over but we didn't....this chapter is far from being resolved imo

Old Timer

Coach
I can’t understand why people are over complicating the Hunt issue

We have Hunt playing 7 who doesn’t want to be here and actually restricts the team and stifles the development of younger players. He has also stated he wants to play 7 and not 9 in the interests of the team.

We have a likely heir apparent that doesn’t get to play 7, is stifled by the incumbent and when he gets the occasional game at 7 he is hampered by the lack of a good 6 and of course under performing pack

All this talk about player swaps for fullbacks, wingers, edges, props, developing juniours etc is simply crap.

Hunt moves on or to 6 simple as that and if he does move on we get a good 6.

Address the problem at hand then address the other problems 1 by 1.

If Flanno is the coach and negotiator that people think he is surely he will see that and address it accordingly.

All this talk about Hunt needs to be changed to how best to set up our halves with Bud at 7.

Anything other than that is soft cock behaviour and Flanno saying Hunt is our 7 for 24 maybe 25 means he already needs a blue pill and he hasn’t even started yet.

The Hunt issue relates to the halves so let’s deal with that and get the best outcome for Bud not Ben.

If no one wants to give up a good 6 then Hunt gets the jersey until we get what we need.

Phantom V

Juniors
Firstly, I applaud the club for making a stance re Hunt, there was really no other plausible decision to be made as we have the upper hand in any negotiations. I do however think that it’s only a stalemate until the end of the year which brings me to my next point.
What is the negotiation process going to look like in the meantime with any prospective players? Yes we have a new coach but at the moment our club captain is holding a gun to our heads and has publicly dragged us through the mud to put pressure on us for a release. Also in regards to a swap deal, I agree but ONLY if the player is committed to the vision that Flanno wants to install in the club.
Which leads me to my final point. We need some clarification in regards to Hunts future so that so that we can plan accordingly in terms of recruitment and direction moving forward. Personally, I still think having him around is an untenable situation and I think the extra cash would be better spent on some quality forwards.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Well Jaimin Joliffe has now extended his contract to the end of 26. Which really leaves Mo Fotuaika and Isaac Liu as somewhat feasible swap options - both come off contract at end of 24 so might be willing to leave for a longer deal. Liu is 32 already though

Yep, sami is off-contract. He's a speedster with good kick return meters. Might be worth a stab?

Dragon David

First Grade
After listening to Mark Levys radio hook up with Flanno regarding the Hunt meeting I'm not yet convinced that weve kissed and made up....understandably Flanno couldnt go into to much detail for personal reasons but I noticed comments from him like when we left the meeting it was very positive well I certainly was or words to that effect....to be perfectly honest imo Flanno will have bugger all to do with Hunt wanting to stay and sort things out with the club and help us move in the right direction......imo its pretty obvious Hunt doesnt want be here now or in the future full stop.....lets face it if earlier reports are true then the supposibly reasons for Hunt wanting out ie closer family support and better weather in Qld hasnt changed have they....nah he thought the club would roll over but we didn't....this chapter is far from being resolved imo
Hunt doesn't need to say anything. His body language says it all. He will be more determined to find a way out you can be sure of that. When a person asks for something, which in his mind is well and truly buried into his psyche and he is denied what he wants, nothing will rid that desire until he actually gets his way.

Deep down he will have the shits and be really pissed off. He would have gone home cursing and swearing his head off at his wife and say he will not see out his contract with the Dragons and the fight will go on. The Dragons big wigs know that this won't be the end. It is that they had to tell him that his deal has been signed with us and that his request to be released is denied is what they had to say to show that they had balls but it doesn't mean that all parties would go home happy and content - no way. The Dragons I don't think want Hunt now and we know Hunt doesn't want to be at the Dragons. Sooner or later, he will definitely be gone and all subject to all parties reaching an amicable agreement with win/win in mind.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Firstly, I applaud the club for making a stance re Hunt, there was really no other plausible decision to be made as we have the upper hand in any negotiations. I do however think that it’s only a stalemate until the end of the year which brings me to my next point.
What is the negotiation process going to look like in the meantime with any prospective players? Yes we have a new coach but at the moment our club captain is holding a gun to our heads and has publicly dragged us through the mud to put pressure on us for a release. Also in regards to a swap deal, I agree but ONLY if the player is committed to the vision that Flanno wants to install in the club.
Which leads me to my final point. We need some clarification in regards to Hunts future so that so that we can plan accordingly in terms of recruitment and direction moving forward. Personally, I still think having him around is an untenable situation and I think the extra cash would be better spent on some quality forwards.
Yes I agree.....I don't think we will get clarification re Hunts future till the end of 2023....I agree re your comment the Hunt situation is untenable but I'm not sure anything will transpire till then due to better financial compensation

Dragon David

First Grade
Agreed!

Dragons4me

Juniors
Just caught up with similar comments so I've re-edited my post. Also agree that no way Hunt will be here in 24-25. Both parties and most fans don't want it. 23 is finished for us so I'm sure the horse trading is already well under way. Therefore I'm glad we have Flanno who has so much more experience in these matters. I've moved on from his earlier transgressions. It's a bit of "he who is without sin etc" kind of situation.