What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

justadragon

Bench
Unfortunately the top teams will vote against any draft or points system as it would impact their ability to stockpile talent at a cheap price given the "winning culture" of their clubs while poorer teams like us offer overs and still can't attract anyone decent.
If the NRL wanted to implement the draft with certain conditions for the benefit of the game , then those clubs would have no say. Its just atm certain clubs tend to hold all the playing cards at NRL Central, and we are not one of them.

Dragon David

First Grade
If the NRL wanted to implement the draft with certain conditions for the benefit of the game , then those clubs would have no say. Its just atm certain clubs tend to hold all the playing cards at NRL Central, and we are not one of them.
It is obvious that these clubs holding the cards will not agree with a draft system. We have to bat on as per the current NRL Operations Rules. Clubs like the Dragons just grin and bear it and go with the flow. To become successful is the thing that the Dragons needs to work really hard on and then that might transfer to us being a force to be reckoned with and so we live in hope like always but if for the past 12 years we have not achieved much, then I really can't see much change in the next decade. It all goes back to who is running the Dragons.

Mojo

Bench
It is obvious that these clubs holding the cards will not agree with a draft system. We have to bat on as per the current NRL Operations Rules. Clubs like the Dragons just grin and bear it and go with the flow. To become successful is the thing that the Dragons needs to work really hard on and then that might transfer to us being a force to be reckoned with and so we live in hope like always but if for the past 12 years we have not achieved much, then I really can't see much change in the next decade. It all goes back to who is running the Dragons.
Just as I thought - it's all Ben's fault.

RedVee_8

Juniors
They did want to implement a draft. The players (Terry Hill) challenged it in court, and won. Hence no draft.

Captn

Juniors
Lobster boy, always himself first!
I do hear however that Flanno is personally interviewing young ens regarding contracts so maybe the red V ship is in good hands. The only light at the moment in view of the depressing silence of no signings.

Lobster boy, always himself first!
I do hear however that Flanno is personally interviewing young ens regarding contracts so maybe the red V ship is in good hands. The only light at the moment in view of the depressing silence of no signings.
Flanagan did say 2/3 signings before Christmas.
Like everyone else here, I am hoping there is an announcement of least one new signing very soon.
Even a new rumour in the media linking us to a potential signing would be better than the sounds of silence we are all being put through on a daily basis. Plus would be something to give us all some short term hope.

Illusion

Bench
Flanagan did say 2/3 signings before Christmas.
Like everyone else here, I am hoping there is an announcement of least one new signing very soon.
Even a new rumour in the media linking us to a potential signing would be better than the sounds of silence we are all being put through on a daily basis. Plus would be something to give us all some short term hope.
I'd be so happy for a Dearden , Hunt swap ......... That gets rid of one of our biggest problems ..........

Last edited:

RedVee_8

Juniors
yep agree RedVee8, but I think the environment for the game has changed quite significantly since that challenge. I believe that now we are almost a 2 tier comp that the NRL would have very good grounds to implement a draft system.
They have to get the RLPA on side for the next CPA. Not sure that is likely.

This Year?

Immortal
images

justadragon

Bench
They have to get the RLPA on side for the next CPA. Not sure that is likely.
If the RLPA dont want to get onboard for the longevity and standard of the game, then piss off and dont play at all and dont get your big bucks. There will always be players wanting to play and until we break this elite club preferential treatment then the lower placed clubs will suffer.

SnowDragon

Juniors
1 - Coaching makes a difference!
2 - fitness makes a difference!
3 - player effort and commitment makes a huge difference!

all these can change.

talent is critical. So many comments on our player quality, which is of course important, but I wonder what we will get out of the team when we change points 1-3 above?

like many here I’m hopefuL, and I’ll give Flanno time, I’ll trust him. Why? Because he has been there, because when I listen to him I become hopefully, because he seems to both understand the game and be able to motivate his players, and because changing coaches regularly doesn’t work. he needs time, he needs support. I’m hoping for top 8 next year, but I’ll be judging Flanno on more than the ladder position, and I’ll be giving him time.

blacksafake

First Grade
1 - Coaching makes a difference!
2 - fitness makes a difference!
3 - player effort and commitment makes a huge difference!

all these can change.

talent is critical. So many comments on our player quality, which is of course important, but I wonder what we will get out of the team when we change points 1-3 above?

like many here I’m hopefuL, and I’ll give Flanno time, I’ll trust him. Why? Because he has been there, because when I listen to him I become hopefully, because he seems to both understand the game and be able to motivate his players, and because changing coaches regularly doesn’t work. he needs time, he needs support. I’m hoping for top 8 next year, but I’ll be judging Flanno on more than the ladder position, and I’ll be giving him time.
Good post @SnowDragon

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Great post @SnowDragon

I also feel Flanno is no 1 trick pony like we have had under the previous coaches. He actually looks to have game plans that pinpoint weakness in the opposition and that is so crucial in coaching. He will get the best out of the players because of this. I am really looking forward to seeing how they play as a team next season. To beat a Bellamy coached Storm in a GF with a spine of Munster, Cronk and Smith is not easy and should never be taken for granted. The fact he did so is hugely impressive.