What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twiggys with us

_Johnsy

Referee
dont know if anyone has had the same idea but maybe with such a high profile sponsor we may just get a bit more from the nrl ( not missing magic round bye first up etc) Twiggy will sure have some PR clout behind him and we should use his vast contacts and employment opportunities much like uncle nick .
I doubt Twiggy is even remotely as invested in us as Nick is with the Roosters. Would be nice, but unfortunately I just don't see it as the case.

_Johnsy

Referee
Queensland teams won't miss out on Magic round.

But us Dragons copped the round 1 bye in 2023 and then followed by Magic Round bye in 2024.

There is a theory that our unbelievable following on the Gold Coast ( Gold Coast Dragons membership) should mean we never should have got the bye for Magic Round. NRL hate us and Foxtel can't hide their dislike for us.
Cbus Stadium capacity is just under 28,000 (27,794)

All stats from nrl.com
2023 - 12,452
2022 Magic Round Suncorp - 41,593
2021 - No GC game
2020 - Played at Suncorp COVID 1,930
2019 - 11,274
2018 - Played at Toowoomba 7,297
2017 - 13,140
2016 - 12,215
2015 - 12,335

The 5 game average we have played at Cbus in "normal" season circumstances (bolded above) is 12,283. The "unbelievable following" doesn't automatically equal great crowds on the GC From a club who has an "unbelievable following in a city of more than 700,000 (2023). With the migration rates in 2022/23 to the GC I'd expect it to be more than that now. We should be drawing more than 44.1% capacity for each game held there.

BLM01

First Grade
Cbus Stadium capacity is just under 28,000 (27,794)

All stats from nrl.com
2023 - 12,452
2022 Magic Round Suncorp - 41,593
2021 - No GC game
2020 - Played at Suncorp COVID 1,930
2019 - 11,274
2018 - Played at Toowoomba 7,297
2017 - 13,140
2016 - 12,215
2015 - 12,335

The 5 game average we have played at Cbus in "normal" season circumstances (bolded above) is 12,283. The "unbelievable following" doesn't automatically equal great crowds on the GC From a club who has an "unbelievable following in a city of more than 700,000 (2023). With the migration rates in 2022/23 to the GC I'd expect it to be more than that now. We should be drawing more than 44.1% capacity for each game held there.
Yeh stats are great but you have to factor in
1. What was the time slot for the games?
2. GC and us have been towards the bottom of the ladder for most?
3. Not sure fixed now but you used to have to park your car 30km's or so from their home ground and pay for that and then catch a bus to the stadium (cost for that too)
4. How many were Gold Coast supporters. It takes 2 teams supporters to fill a suburban ground at the best times when on top of the ladder
5. What is Melbourne's home ground average.? Just curious and they have been near the top every year.
6. Migration does not equal rugby league supporters especially if you dont support either us or them.

Dragons4me

Juniors
I doubt Twiggy is even remotely as invested in us as Nick is with the Roosters. Would be nice, but unfortunately I just don't see it as the case.

I don't know!
My take on it is by siding up to the Dragons gives Twiggy publicity. Start winning games and more focus and publicity follows. I mean everyone loves a winner! Twiggy doesn't have to understand the game when the media comes knocking. Just smile and go along for the ride.

TheRev

First Grade
Uncle Nick sells cars on the weekend, while Twiggy is trying to sell a plan to solve the worlds energy crisis!

Slightly different priorities, I think in that video he is making a fund to pay for the shutdown of the countries fossil fuel plants, I dont quite understand the scope of what he announced, but sounds expensive..

_Johnsy

Referee
Uncle Nick sells cars on the weekend, while Twiggy is trying to sell a plan to solve the worlds energy crisis!

Slightly different priorities, I think in that video he is making a fund to pay for the shutdown of the countries fossil fuel plants, I dont quite understand the scope of what he announced, but sounds expensive..
With people like him, there is an angle, there always is. And it always lines their pockets.

SnowDragon

Juniors
With people like him, there is an angle, there always is. And it always lines their pockets.
Clearly he is pushing his clean energy agenda, and he has a lot riding on it. How he got his billions? well very few get it by being nice guys. Clearly the dragons are the premier sporting franchise in the area he is building, so yes it makes sense to push the PR button there.

BUT would you prefer him to be pushing coal? Focusing on an import business from china? Some business where the health if the community is at risk? Something that only benefits the rich? The fact that he stands up on the big stage and says what he thinks (like trump comments) that’s he calls out politician BS etc. Well I’m not gonna hate a guy like that because he has money.

with the St George bank dropping out as sponsors, I’m glad he has jumped into the breach. Will he be an uncle Nick? Probably not, but I’m hoping.

_Johnsy

Referee
Clearly he is pushing his clean energy agenda, and he has a lot riding on it. How he got his billions? well very few get it by being nice guys. Clearly the dragons are the premier sporting franchise in the area he is building, so yes it makes sense to push the PR button there.

BUT would you prefer him to be pushing coal? Focusing on an import business from china? Some business where the health if the community is at risk? Something that only benefits the rich? The fact that he stands up on the big stage and says what he thinks (like trump comments) that’s he calls out politician BS etc. Well I’m not gonna hate a guy like that because he has money.

with the St George bank dropping out as sponsors, I’m glad he has jumped into the breach. Will he be an uncle Nick? Probably not, but I’m hoping.
I think you've misunderstood the intent of my comments. I certainly have no hate for the bloke, I've never met him.

My point being he isn't doing it because he loves the dragons or the NRL. He is getting something out of it that benefits his pocket, nothing more, nothing less. Interesting you use Trump as an example, one of the worlds greatest grifters, targets the ignorant as they are happy to part with their $ (https://www.nytimes.com/article/trump-donations-legal-bills.html) (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...supporter-fundraising-strategy-donation-money)

I'm also glad Squadron Energy has stepped up as a sponsor.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I think you've misunderstood the intent of my comments. I certainly have no hate for the bloke, I've never met him.

My point being he isn't doing it because he loves the dragons or the NRL. He is getting something out of it that benefits his pocket, nothing more, nothing less. Interesting you use Trump as an example, one of the worlds greatest grifters, targets the ignorant as they are happy to part with their $ (https://www.nytimes.com/article/trump-donations-legal-bills.html) (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...supporter-fundraising-strategy-donation-money)

I'm also glad Squadron Energy has stepped up as a sponsor.

sorry mate, I’m sure I should have read better. Sounds like we are probably thinking similarly, just writing from a slightly different angle.

I do hope he gets to love the team 🤞

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yeh stats are great but you have to factor in
1. What was the time slot for the games?
2. GC and us have been towards the bottom of the ladder for most?
3. Not sure fixed now but you used to have to park your car 30km's or so from their home ground and pay for that and then catch a bus to the stadium (cost for that too)
4. How many were Gold Coast supporters. It takes 2 teams supporters to fill a suburban ground at the best times when on top of the ladder
5. What is Melbourne's home ground average.? Just curious and they have been near the top every year.
6. Migration does not equal rugby league supporters especially if you dont support either us or them.
Really? They either go or they don't.

Lovemedragons

Juniors

He is not pushing coal, he is pushing for 100's of 300m tall wind turbines into our ocean, 5 km off shore, running 24 hours a day, trapping marine life, slicing up birds - all so that he can cash in on destroying our biggest asset and the migration highway of our precious whales. Each turbine takes enormous amounts of energy (ie carbon) to produce and then maintain and what will happen to these monstrosities once Twiggy and his mates have sucked all the money from them - they will sit there and rust. I love my Dragons and I despise them being used to promote such a wilfull destruction of the place we live. F*ck off Twiggy, f*ck off Bowen, f*ck off billionaires, just f*ck off.

SnowDragon

Juniors
He is not pushing coal, he is pushing for 100's of 300m tall wind turbines into our ocean, 5 km off shore, running 24 hours a day, trapping marine life, slicing up birds - all so that he can cash in on destroying our biggest asset and the migration highway of our precious whales. Each turbine takes enormous amounts of energy (ie carbon) to produce and then maintain and what will happen to these monstrosities once Twiggy and his mates have sucked all the money from them - they will sit there and rust. I love my Dragons and I despise them being used to promote such a wilfull destruction of the place we live. F*ck off Twiggy, f*ck off Bowen, f*ck off billionaires, just f*ck off.
Personally one of the best sponsors we could get into, so:
We are on different planets with this stuff, and your passionate clearly, so I’ll stick to football.

Victoire

Juniors
He is not pushing coal, he is pushing for 100's of 300m tall wind turbines into our ocean, 5 km off shore, running 24 hours a day, trapping marine life, slicing up birds - all so that he can cash in on destroying our biggest asset and the migration highway of our precious whales.
Most of this scaremongering has been thoroughly debunked. Some of those Wollongong nimby Facebook groups sure made pretty stickers and posters though

Draginzaaar

Bench
Most of this scaremongering has been thoroughly debunked. Some of those Wollongong nimby Facebook groups sure made pretty stickers and posters though
Debunked? So the windy things last forever and none have ever been chucked in landfill somewhere on earth?

Latest posts