What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Island Kea

Colk

First Grade
Why are you comparing Lang Park with stadia that were built within the last few years?

Lang Park was constructed over 20 years ago between 2001-2003.

Sofi Stadium was built between 2016-20.

Allegiant was built between 2017-20.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium was built between 2014-2017.

U.S. Bank Stadium was built between 2013-2016.

AT&T Stadium is the oldest, built between 2006-09, but it is also one of the most expensive stadia ever built.

Lumen Field was constructed between 1998-2002. Its stands aren't

Lang Park fares quite well considering its low construction cost and age. It's still better than older NFL stadia that are similar in size, such as Soldier Field.

Beep beep backing up beep beep

Actually going to them for one.

What is your retort to that - you are going to claim that my experience of going to American stadia and Suncorp means less than your experience of going to Suncorp.

Again, instead of having a wank about all things Queensland just remember there is a big bright world out there, you know a world outside of Queensland.
Then you shouldn't have any problem explaining why you think NFL stadia are better than Lang Park?

All you've done is deflect attention away from the question by going ad hominem.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We literally just had games in one of the best stadiums in the world, and Old mate is trying to argue that Lang Park is better because 8 of 31 stadiums don't have a "roof".
TBF more than 8 aren't enclosed and/or have low coverage over the stands, but there're cultural, historical, and financial reasons for that, and many of them simply don't need it.

If we're using Suncorp as the standard then roughly 15-17 have less coverage over the stands, but A. not all of them need it, B. most of the ones without coverage are older and coming due to be replaced, and C. why is coverage over the stands the single factor by which we're measuring them?

There's way more to a stadium than just it's amount of coverage over the stands, and even many of those NFL stadiums without coverage (Levi's, Mile High, Arrowhead, etc) are better than Suncorp.

Setting aside it's size, as Suncorp's capacity is a too small for the NFL, Suncorp would be a middling stadium in the NFL. Certainly not amongst worst, but not even close to the best either.

Colk

First Grade
By the way, it’s not just NFL stadia, I went to a few baseball stadiums that were better than Suncorp.

Suncorp is fine. It’s quite good for Australian standards but to try and argue that Suncorp is better than a whole swath of stadiums around the world is pretty silly.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Better corporate facilities
Better viewing points
Better hospitality
Better screens
Better seats

Do you want me to go on?
Better and more various fan facilities and concession stands.
Better standard of food and beverages.
Better sound and lighting.
Better and more various entertainment options.
Better media and match day facilities.
Better and more various hospitality and premium ticket options.

I could go on, but as a general rule there's just an expectation of higher standards in the NFL and other Major Leagues than anything you'd see in Australia.

It all comes with a cost though, so it's a double edged sword. The average punter in America has largely been priced out of attending major league professional sports, and as a general rule season tickets are almost exclusively the domain of the wealthy. Personally I'd prefer if Australian sports culture tried to avoid some of that.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why are you comparing Lang Park with stadia that were built within the last few years?

Lang Park was constructed over 20 years ago between 2001-2003.

Sofi Stadium was built between 2016-20.

Allegiant was built between 2017-20.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium was built between 2014-2017.

U.S. Bank Stadium was built between 2013-2016.

AT&T Stadium is the oldest, built between 2006-09, but it is also one of the most expensive stadia ever built.

Lumen Field was constructed between 1998-2002. Its stands aren't as well protected as the onea at Lang Park.

Lang Park fares quite well considering its low construction cost and age. It's still better than older NFL stadia that are similar in size, such as Soldier Field.
You made the claim that Suncorp was better than all of them. Their age is totally irrelevant to that claim.

BTW, I've been to Lumen Field and Suncorp. I can say for a fact that Lumen has better coverage over most of it's seats than Suncorp.

Better corporate facilities
Better viewing points
Better hospitality
Better screens
Better seats

Do you want me to go on?
Lang Park's viewing points are second to none. The seats are right on top of the action.

Seats is one area Lang Park lags behind. Not enough room between the rows and the plastic material is uncomfortable.

I've never been in the corporates. I doubt you have, either.

The screens at Lang Park were upgraded a few years ago.

You made the claim that Suncorp was better than all of them. Their age is totally irrelevant to that claim.

BTW, I've been to Lumen Field and Suncorp. I can say for a fact that Lumen has better coverage over most of it's seats than Suncorp.
I said Lang Park is better than NFL stadia that don't have a roof. You listed the few stadia that do have a roof. There's about 20 stadia that do not.

Of course you've been to Lumen Field. You're a try-hard wannabe Yank who hates anything that isn't a carbon copy of American culture.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Lang Park's viewing points are second to none. The seats are right on top of the action.

Seats is one area Lang Park lags behind. Not enough room between the rows and the plastic material is uncomfortable.

I've never been in the corporates. I doubt you have, either.

The screens at Lang Park were upgraded a few years ago.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I said Lang Park is better than NFL stadia that don't have a roof. You listed the few stadia that do have a roof. There's about 20 stadia that do not.

Of course you've been to Lumen Field. You're a try-hard wannabe Yank who hates anything that isn't a carbon copy of American culture.
Please stop embarrassing yourself.

BTW, I didn't even go to Lumen Field to watch an American sport. . .

Put the crackpipe down, it's killing you.

Seriously, I've got no idea WTF you're talking about.
You once said American stadia are better because they have more room around the stadium for tailgating. Tailgating is some bullshit American/Euro trend of fans beating a drum while singing dumb chants outside of a stadium before kick-off. It's not a common trend in Australia. I've only seen it at A-League games.

You once claimed Lang Park is not as centrally located as NFL stadia and has poor access. If you ever bothered to attend a game at Lang Park then you would know there's a large bus depot under the southern part of the stadium for fans to catch free bus services to regions all over Brisbane City Council. Milton is just a short walk from the CBD.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You once said American stadia are better because they have more room around the stadium for tailgating. Tailgating is some bullshit American/Euro trend of fans beating a drum while singing dumb chants outside of a stadium before kick-off. It's not a common trend in Australia. I've only seen it at A-League games.
Firstly, tailgating is an American thing not European, and it's basically a party before the game where everybody hangs out in the carpark cooking food and having a good time.

Secondly, no I didn't you moron.

I would have said that many Americans wouldn't like most Australian stadiums because there isn't room for tailgating, not that the lack of room for tailgating makes American stadiums better.
You once claimed Lang Park is not as centrally located as NFL stadia and has poor access. If you ever bothered to attend a game at Lang Park then you would know there's a large bus depot under the southern part of the stadium for fans to catch free bus services to regions all over Brisbane City Council. Milton is just a short walk from the CBD.
I don't know what you're talking about here, but I definitely didn't say that.

My guess would be that we were talking about a specific stadium, as many American stadiums are actually out of the way and quite difficult to get to without private transport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No one can derail a thread quite like donkey! How have we got from the kea bid to a usa stadiums without roofs? Some of your best derailment work there mate,

No one can derail a thread quite like donkey! How have we got from the kea bid to a usa stadiums without roofs? Some of your best derailment work there mate,
You must be shattered that Lang Park is getting an upgrade to 65-70k seats?

I know how much you love your ovals and fumbleball. Your beloved Perth Stadium will be smaller. Ouch!

Lang Park will be the first ever rugby league stadium to host the Olympics. Great times for rugby league. Bring in Brisbane 3.

Last edited:
haha, another in glass houses throwing stones. which of the 3 Sydney NRl games last weekend did you go to?
Ive missed one RL game in perth in 25 years as I was overseas. Shame on me lol I've probably been to more NRL games in Sydney and Brisbane over the last 5 years than you or your mate who live there!
I stopped going to games in 2017. Having to carry a glucometer, insulin and food is a pain the arse. The thought of having to take these items into a public toilet to have a piss makes me want to vomit. My balance ain't the best when I become hypoglycaemic, which is inevitable travelling to Lang Park and walking from the bus depot to the stadium.

I don't want to inject insulin in public. Nor do I want to take a blood glucose reading with people near me.

I've got arthitis in my neck. The seats at Lang Park aren't good for it. Neither is the bus ride.