What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Island Kea

Anyone able to cut and paste?

OPINION

One of the most intriguing elements in the two competing bids for a South Island NRL franchise is the proposition from David Moffett and the South Island Kea that fans can own part of the club.

Moffett has a unique CV (former chief executive of the NRL and New Zealand Rugby) and is aiming for a 2028 kickoff of the Kea, based in Christchurch’s Te Kaha Stadium.

That stacks up against the previously announced Christchurch-based consortium, headed by former Canterbury Rugby League chairman Tony Kidd, which is seeking overseas investment for a team also to be sited at Te Kaha.

“We will be offering fans an opportunity to own part of the team either through a co-operative structure, which is a common approach taken by major European football franchises, or the opportunity to buy shares in the company,” Moffett told the Herald.

“It will be a first for New Zealand and for rugby league and is based on a co-operative model which inherently democratises decision-making and will allow fans to govern the team’s operations from selecting management to shaping the strategic direction. By empowering fans as owners, we will foster a strong sense of community and inclusivity.”

It’s a bold play that Moffett says will pique the NRL’s interest - but can fan ownership work in little old New Zealand?

There’s no doubt it is an established concept internationally.

In British football, for example, many clubs are fan-owned or part-owned.

They are sometimes a reaction to the enormous amounts of money billionaire owners and global companies juggle - often leveraging massive debt to fuel on-field glory and off-field dividends, hiking ticket prices and upsetting fans.

Scotland’s St Mirren club has been 51 per cent fan-owned since a 2021 campaign called “Buy The Buds” saw fans emerge in control.

England’s Exeter City is now in League One (the third tier division) after the Exeter City Supporters’ Trust became majority shareholders following the relegation of the club from the English Football league in 2003 - and the subsequent arrest of the chairman and vice-chairman over allegations of financial irregularities at the club.

One of the whistleblowers was celebrity spoon-bending psychic and then club co-chairman Uri Geller - who clearly had not foreseen what was occurring.

Supporters discovered a supposed debt of £2 million ($4.19m) was almost £5m - but that was cleared in 2005, partially because of a good FA Cup run but also because the trust began putting money from supporters back into the club - over £2m since 2003. The trust has 3500 members (annual fee £24, plus contributions to the £100,000 the trust gives the club each year) - so the financial burden is not heavy.

The members don’t get to decide which striker the club buys, for example, but trustees are elected from their numbers to approve the playing budget on the club board, so still have a say.

The trust isn’t the only source of income - sponsorship, ticket sales (average crowd a little under 7000) and a good academy which sells young players on for big fees (like current Premier League star Ollie Watkins, of Aston Villa).

Perhaps the most successful fan-owned club hails from the US - NFL team the Green Bay Packers have been community-owned since 1923, winning 13 national championships and four Super Bowls.

Instead of a billionaire owner, the Packers have more than 500,000 community shareholders - none of whom can own more than about 4 per cent of the team’s stock.

They can’t sell or cash in their shares and, unlike other teams, which generate profits for billionaire owners, all Packers profits are invested back into the club (often stadium upgrades). It’s a public funding model that has consistently paid for community-oriented projects, even those that didn’t yield a huge financial return.

There is a catch.

The Green Bay Football Corporation can and has gone back to the public for more money several times.

But Packers fan-owners are reputed to be generally happy to pay - fuelled by the joy of ownership and tribal community instincts, rather than the profit-driven motivation of a billionaire with little or no connection to the area.

So can a rugby league enterprise in the South Island find big numbers of member shareholders? Or put together something like the Exeter City story, involving smaller numbers but harnessing that tribal instinct, while giving them more say?

It won’t be easy but Moffett may well be the man to achieve it.

In another life, I worked with Moffett as an adviser when he headed New Zealand Rugby.

He doesn’t take advice well but that is part of his drive and commitment.

It’s notable he was part of the Kidd consortium before shaping his own proposal; he is not a man easily dissuaded from his path.

There are other hurdles - a Papua New Guinea franchise is also wooing the NRL and may have priority on a political basis with the Australian Government.

However, there are rumbles the NRL will increase to 20 clubs by 2030, so the concept of a Kea or other franchise may still have a future - and, in the absence of any billionaires so far, it will be fascinating to see if the fans are also the owners.

Colk

First Grade
Lang Park's viewing points are second to none. The seats are right on top of the action.

Seats is one area Lang Park lags behind. Not enough room between the rows and the plastic material is uncomfortable.

I've never been in the corporates. I doubt you have, either.

The screens at Lang Park were upgraded a few years ago.

FMD this is the dumbest shit ever.

Next you’ll be telling that the Louvre or MET are overrated because you went to an art gallery in Brisbane. That there are better archeological sites in downtown Brisbane than in Athens or Rome. There must be better mountains than the Rockies or French or Swiss alps somewhere near Brisbane. What about Machu Picchu - just a pile of rocks I suppose

See the difference is I don’t make comments about things I don’t know, never been to or have never experienced. For example I don’t argue with you about your health condition (why would I) nor would I talk what it is like to experience countries that I have never been to. That’s the difference between having an opinion and having an informed opinion.

FYI - I have already said it is better in those stadia than in Suncorp. I don’t know why you can’t just accept that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That'd take some doing to get enough fans in a RU area to buy into the club to mke it financially viable you'd think? The worry for both bids at moment is their financial backing is non existent and the solutions are sketchy as hell.

Perth Red

Post Whore

'Origin equivalent': NRL expansion plans revealed for second New Zealand team​

The recent success of the Warriors could see the NRL bring in a second New Zealand franchise, potentially setting up the country's equivalent to State of Origin.

That is the suggestion of a new consortium trying to make South Island Kea the 18th team in the world's premier rugby league competition.

With head honchos Peter V'landys and Andrew Abdo both expressing their desire to include an 18th team in the coming years, there have been plenty of potential destinations suggested to host a new NRL club.
Perth, Queensland and Papua New Guinea have all been touted as potential front-runners, but the growing interest in the 13-man code in New Zealand could prompt the league's chief decision-makers to cash in.

South Island Kea are pushing to join the Warriors - who are based in Auckland - in the competition and according to the bid's leader, David Moffatt, it could usher in a new era of Kiwi rugby league.
"If the opening game of the 2026 or 2027 season … was going to be the Warriors vs the Kea, I could sell 50,000 tickets in a 25,000-seat stadium tomorrow," he told SEN.

"It's going to be the equivalent of State of Origin when we play them.

"The game has never been on a higher note than right now. Competition is a great thing … we'll put the very best bid we can forward."

Moffat revealed the team would be based in Christchurch and play out of the new Te Kaha Stadium, which holds close to 30,000 spectators.

While the Kea aren't the only bid in the region, Moffat urged the NRL to bring one of them into the league for the betterment of the sport in New Zealand.
"Whoever gets it has to get over the line for the benefit of Christchurch and rugby league and the NRL," he said.

The potential of a second Kiwi team has previously been warned against by Warriors coach Andrew Webster, who believes it would "dilute" the product of the game, but there is growing support for a Christchurch-based entry to the NRL.

South Island Kea would employ a hybrid-cooperative model, which has been used by the Green Bay Packers, allowing fans and investors to own a percentage of the club.

Moffat believes that system would be "powerful" for all parties and hopes to set up a meeting with V'landys and Abdo in the coming weeks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Moffat believes that system would be "powerful" for all parties and hopes to set up a meeting with V'landys and Abdo in the coming weeks.

You'd think that would be the start point rather than some AI branding exercise lol

You'd think that would be the start point rather than some AI branding exercise lol

I think that's exactly what both groups are doing right now, just throwing stuff out there for publicity. It has all the makings of a brewing shit fight between them actually.

Wb1234

Referee

'Origin equivalent': NRL expansion plans revealed for second New Zealand team​

The recent success of the Warriors could see the NRL bring in a second New Zealand franchise, potentially setting up the country's equivalent to State of Origin.

That is the suggestion of a new consortium trying to make South Island Kea the 18th team in the world's premier rugby league competition.

With head honchos Peter V'landys and Andrew Abdo both expressing their desire to include an 18th team in the coming years, there have been plenty of potential destinations suggested to host a new NRL club.
Perth, Queensland and Papua New Guinea have all been touted as potential front-runners, but the growing interest in the 13-man code in New Zealand could prompt the league's chief decision-makers to cash in.

South Island Kea are pushing to join the Warriors - who are based in Auckland - in the competition and according to the bid's leader, David Moffatt, it could usher in a new era of Kiwi rugby league.
"If the opening game of the 2026 or 2027 season … was going to be the Warriors vs the Kea, I could sell 50,000 tickets in a 25,000-seat stadium tomorrow," he told SEN.

"It's going to be the equivalent of State of Origin when we play them.

"The game has never been on a higher note than right now. Competition is a great thing … we'll put the very best bid we can forward."

Moffat revealed the team would be based in Christchurch and play out of the new Te Kaha Stadium, which holds close to 30,000 spectators.

While the Kea aren't the only bid in the region, Moffat urged the NRL to bring one of them into the league for the betterment of the sport in New Zealand.
"Whoever gets it has to get over the line for the benefit of Christchurch and rugby league and the NRL," he said.

The potential of a second Kiwi team has previously been warned against by Warriors coach Andrew Webster, who believes it would "dilute" the product of the game, but there is growing support for a Christchurch-based entry to the NRL.

South Island Kea would employ a hybrid-cooperative model, which has been used by the Green Bay Packers, allowing fans and investors to own a percentage of the club.

I told you this would happen

now watch them overtake Perth

all that ragging on rival bids is coming back to roost

can you now bad mouth brisbane 3 for the trifecta

Wb1234

Referee
Fan ownership for a club with no fans is stupid

it needs rich owners or Investors

it will probably need to put a bond or 20 million Aussie

flippikat

Bench
Kea is an interesting brand. I like it.
I think it's the absolute best they could've picked - the key is that it's a marketable yet "province neutral" brand.

Not red & black like Canterbury province, nor blue & gold like Otago, nor any other south island region.. green & orange is something all southerners can rally around - and might even snag the interest of some of us northeners.

The ball is now in the other bid's court - do they keep the generic placeholder "South Island Bid", or push ahead and hoist their own flag (so to speak) with a bid brand of their own to try and compete with the Kea?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think it's the absolute best they could've picked - the key is that it's a marketable yet "province neutral" brand.

Not red & black like Canterbury province, nor blue & gold like Otago, nor any other south island region.. green & orange is something all southerners can rally around - and might even snag the interest of some of us northeners.

The ball is now in the other bid's court - do they keep the generic placeholder "South Island Bid", or push ahead and hoist their own flag (so to speak) with a bid brand of their own to try and compete with the Kea?
I think they will have to. Moffett has stolen their thunder a bit, especially after the embarrassment of the vegas non announcement. They dont think much of him, on Facebook they called the bid: 'one man and his AI' lol

The other brand should call themselves the Christchurch Bears to rile up North Sydney.

final say

Juniors

I think it's a smart move to hold off on the branding. As it stands they could still partner with the Jets or Bears and a Bears partnership could land any potential bid as favourites ( once the Bears drop their ridiculous demands of course) there's also the lure for potential investors to name and brand the team themselves ( a potential millionaire or billionaire can not only own a team but select the name and colours) ofcourse a bug money player could do that themselves only this way there's no work, you tip in the cash , select a brand and watch it evolve .. nice little things to invite your rich mates along or woo prospective clients.

Hehehe - that would be classic! But they wanna go for red & black with a local identity - South Island Katipo.

Name the bid after a venomous native spider. :)

If Hull can have two clubs then so can Christchurch!

South Island Katipo and South Island Kea.

If they do call themselves the Bears then it will force North Sydney to fall in line and drop their "non-negotiables".

The alternative is the NRL having a team called "Bears" that has no affiliation with North Sydney.

Another option is to not use the Bears brand but use the colours red and black. North Sydney don't have an unalienable right to that colour scheme.

flippikat

Bench
If Hull can have two clubs then so can Christchurch!

South Island Katipo and South Island Kea.

If they do call themselves the Bears then it will force North Sydney to fall in line and drop their "non-negotiables".

The alternative is the NRL having a team called "Bears" that has no affiliation with North Sydney.

Another option is to not use the Bears brand but use the colours red and black. North Sydney don't have an unalienable right to that colour scheme.

The NRL needs to consider how NZ brands run against each other - Warriors and either Kea or Katipo are a good contrast - one (mostly) blue and white & with a human mascot, the other either green & orange with a bird OR red & black with a spider (assuming it's a choice between Kea & Katipo).

Crucially, both options leave scope for a 3rd NZ team that has gold or yellow as a big part of it's colours - commonly used by Wellington based teams, and the Central Pulse (Netball) which is lower North Island, and central districts cricket (lower North Island & some of the upper South, minus Wellington) which wears green with yellow & black.

Maximus

Coach
Fan ownership model is no chance. It's USA pro comp by 2025 levels of delusion.

And are they really using the Packers as an example, a team that have sold out season tickets for the last 64 years, and have a waiting list of 147,000 people who are willing to wait decades for the chance.