What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The fraud thread

Saxon

Bench
Yeah this never made sense to me either, Slater wasn't even particularly a ball-playing fullback, and his career was immediately preceded by none other than DARREN LOCKYER being the best fullback in the world so it's hard to say that ball-playing fullbacks weren't already a thing
I'm a Storm fan, and I don't get the ball playing fullback thing either. He was a good but not brilliant ball player.
The things that made Slater probably the best modern fullback were his positional play (better than any), his vision and ability to read the play in defence and attack, his directing the team in defence , and his energy. The kid would have worn out the energiser bunny.

He could score a try too...

Last edited:
You could even go back to Clive Churchill who was renown for his playmaking at the back. It wouldn't shock me if there was another player who predated the little master.

Again, taking nothing away from Billy. In an era of excellent fullback's he stands as the best but I think we do the history of the game a disservice when we over-embellish his influence.

Agreed, when he broke through the likes of Ben Hornby and Brett Hodgson were among the game’s top fullbacks. Slater was a blend of those fullbacks with good ball skills along with explosive pace and power of the other top fullbacks at the time.

Big Pete

Referee
This is the titled the "fraud thread"
Yes and I'm calling fraud over the claim that he's responsible for changing the fullback position. When you're unjustifiably credited with accomplishments, what does that make you?

MKCS

Juniors
Paul Momirovski fit in here? Won a prelim in his rookie season and almost got himself a winners medal, played the majority of the 2021 season for Penrith where he won a comp, went back to the Roosters and played in the 2022 and 2023 finals series, all this despite being a good reserve grader at best.

Corey Allan has also had a very similar career except he didn't win a comp but somehow is involved in a winning State Of Origin series despite being a reserve grader.

They both are legitimately two of the luckiest footballers to ever play first grade.

Reactions: Vee

Munky

Coach
Paul Momirovski fit in here? Won a prelim in his rookie season and almost got himself a winners medal, played the majority of the 2021 season for Penrith where he won a comp, went back to the Roosters and played in the 2022 and 2023 finals series, all this despite being a good reserve grader at best.

Corey Allan has also had a very similar career except he didn't win a comp but somehow is involved in a winning State Of Origin series despite being a reserve grader.

They both are legitimately two of the luckiest footballers to ever play first grade.

Momo was pure plod but disciplined enough to do his role at a mediocre level.

He could play in the defensive system and not shoot out of the line or make terrible decisions.

Was an absolute hog with the ball though.

Canard

Immortal
Who isn't a fraud according to LU is probably the question.

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
For the Knights definitely Jack Cogger. 20 minutes in a grand final when Broncos were already starting to fall off a cliff has somehow over taken what has other than that been an underwhelming career.

I wouldn’t call Crossland a fraud as that would imply that he’s ever been able to fool anyone into thinking he’s a good player. I’ve long maintained that he has incriminating photos of AOB.

Saxon

Bench
Yes and I'm calling fraud over the claim that he's responsible for changing the fullback position. When you're unjustifiably credited with accomplishments, what does that make you?
Oh he definitely redefined the fullback position. They even brought in the 7 tackle set to stop players kicking the ball dead rather than have Slater bring it out of the in goal.
But it wasn't because he was the first (or best) ball playing fullback. It was because in his prime he was the complete package which has become the benchmark for modern fullbacks. Plenty of number ones could do something better than Billy, no one could do everything as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

Latest posts